Gun cliches/idioms/phrases that affect people's perceptions of gun rights...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KiteEatingTree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

"Shoot first, ask questions later"

Slogans/phrases like these sculpt people's perceptions of gun ownership. Which others come to mind and how do you think they're helpful/hurtful?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You gonna stick around and participate in this one, or disappear like the last few times?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    You gonna stick around and participate in this one, or disappear like the last few times?

Scutter certainly has a valid point here, and he's only locked one of your threads of all of the ones you've started and bailed on, but I'll humor you and play along. (If nothing else, I.B.T.L.)

I think the term "assault-weapon" / "assault-rifle" really hurts the pro-2A crowd as the media really paints anyone who owns an EBR with a really dark brush. (No pun intended) We discussed this ridiculous term yesterday at the INGO Greenwood breakfast and were applying it to spoons, forks, etc. Apparently a coat of black paint takes your ordinary spoon up a couple of notches on the watch list, and watch out if you decide to own more than a couple or want to put a light on it. :D

Although that was far from the first time I'd ever thought of the application of the "assault" term in that way, it was good to discuss it openly with other like-minded INGOers in a public setting.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Nice to see a couple of our most respected members can't go along with a simple thread.

I hate how many people ask me 'CAN YOU DO THAT?!?!" when I OC.

Police that think they have the right to tell people to not load their handgun after raping it on the side of the road.

Talking to people in Illinois, its just amazing the look they get on their faces when I compare IN to IL gun laws.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    My favorite one is from John Kerry:

"I go out with my trusty 12-gauge double-barrel, crawl around on my stomach. I track and move and decoy and play games and try to outsmart them. You know, you kind of play the wind. That's hunting," said Kerry.

He is truly the alpha-male DEER HUNTER.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.
    If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat!
    Warning, the gun in the drivers hand is larger than it appears.
    "Happiness is a warm gun, bang, bang, shoot, shoot..."

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    A well played journalistic "Live rounds" with the furrowed brow of concern and dramatic pause always knocks me over.
    That or "weapons cache/arsenal" when they're talking about just a few guns. Gotta add that to the "over a thousand rounds of ammunition found..." Heck, that's just a couple boxes of Federal Bulk... but I'm sure it sounds scary to people who are picturing that it must mean a trunk full.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    OK, I'll play...

"Gun control means being able to hit your target."

I consider this a classic. Not only a counter slogan to the antis, but a positive challenge to gun owners at the same time.:yesway:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    "Protected by Smith & Wesson" I hate this one but "Protected by Glock" doesn't have the same ring to it.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    A well played journalistic "Live rounds" with the furrowed brow of concern and dramatic pause always knocks me over.
    That or "weapons cache/arsenal" when they're talking about just a few guns. Gotta add that to the "over a thousand rounds of ammunition found..." Heck, that's just a couple boxes of Federal Bulk... but I'm sure it sounds scary to people who are picturing that it must mean a trunk full.

:+1:!

Annie, I'd rep you, but I've read a lot of great things this morning and I'm afraid I'm all out.

Good call, I've heard that played up to no end by the drive-by media more times than I can count. To the point where I think the number of negative reports of weapons and ammunition could easily out-number the actual amounts of weapons and ammunition "caches" themselves!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.
    If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat!
    Warning, the gun in the drivers hand is larger than it appears.
    "Happiness is a warm gun, bang, bang, shoot, shoot..."

I love the first two quotes there, Gun Owners of America put them on one of their shirts, good stuff.

T-Shirt-Gunowners-of-America-718923.jpg

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    "Protected by Smith & Wesson" I hate this one but "Protected by Glock" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Yup, sorta like the sign in my wife's window when we was dating and she was still in high school.....

This house protected by Smith & Wesson 3 nights a week.

YOU GUESS WHICH
    THREE

:draw:

KiteEatingTree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    I've always felt "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" was peculiar unless you're referring to the laws rendering all gun owners (previously law abiding or criminal) outlaws... since previously law abiding citizens will find ways to protect their firearms from seizure. Though, of course, literal takes on many slogans expose unintended fallacies.

Top Bottom