• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    With the cold weather coming in, it's the end of the shooting season for my Dad and I. It's time to field strip our pistols, and give them a good cleaning. I use rem oil, because I live in an apartment and the odor is limited. I cleaned my 92FS, and my Xd. I used one bottle for both. Then I did my Dads Taurus 92. I had to use a whole bottle on it. I put just as many rounds this year through my Xd, then my Dad did his Taurus but it was much dirtier. I still have a lot to do, because my Dad owns allot of pistols. I know all rounds are dirty some more then others, so I need to ask my Dad what he shot the most through is Taurus.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Is there a question in there? Or are you just informing us that you cleaned your guns? If so, I cleaned about 12 guns today!!! not mine though, bummer..... and i dont know what you are doing but it sure sounds like you are using a TON of remoil.... i suggest getting some eezox aresol spray, one can will normally last me 2 months or so in the gunsmithing shop which uses a good amount of eezox.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Is there a question in there? Or are you just informing us that you cleaned your guns? If so, I cleaned about 12 guns today!!! not mine though, bummer..... and i dont know what you are doing but it sure sounds like you are using a TON of remoil.... i suggest getting some eezox aresol spray, one can will normally last me 2 months or so in the gunsmithing shop which uses a good amount of eezox.

No just sharing what I have noticed, so far while cleaning guns. I like the rem oil, because it does not have a strong odor. Which is a big plus when living in an apartment. Also because I only field strip range only guns, when the cold weather hits. That's why they are so dirty. My carry gun gets cleaned more often. How strong is the odor from eezox?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    haha... very strong, wouldnt be your best option..... i take it you used so much remoil because you were using it as a cleaning agent? just to throw it out there.... remoil is a great protective coating, a moderate lubricator (great for revolver clockwork, and trigger parts minus the sear), but horrible for cleaning, esp dissolving caked on carbon.... i suggest a fan, an open window, some hoppes #9, and a can of eezox... the hoppes to disolve the carbon and clean the bore (minus copper) and will also help lubricate... the eezox to protect the finish (rust) and the remoil for lube..... just my .02 if i were in your shoes, then again i have an entire gunsmithing shop at my disposal, so my advice may be the worst that someone could give you.... i have used remoil as a cleaning agent before but have not been very satisfied.... plus the smell of hoppes brings back some childhood memories. sorry if i didnt help, just though that much remoil sounded a bit odd.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    haha... very strong, wouldnt be your best option..... i take it you used so much remoil because you were using it as a cleaning agent? just to throw it out there.... remoil is a great protective coating, a moderate lubricator (great for revolver clockwork, and trigger parts minus the sear), but horrible for cleaning, esp dissolving caked on carbon.... i suggest a fan, an open window, some hoppes #9, and a can of eezox... the hoppes to disolve the carbon and clean the bore (minus copper) and will also help lubricate... the eezox to protect the finish (rust) and the remoil for lube..... just my .02 if i were in your shoes, then again i have an entire gunsmithing shop at my disposal, so my advice may be the worst that someone could give you.... i have used remoil as a cleaning agent before but have not been very satisfied.... plus the smell of hoppes brings back some childhood memories. sorry if i didnt help, just though that much remoil sounded a bit odd.

No you are fine. The rem oil for me has worked well. I have used other products when cleaning, and I have gotten the same results. Without spraying the crap out of everything. I like taking my time, and using q-tips. I will probably pick up the spray next. My Dad is buying it all, since I'm doing his guns now.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    You might want to check over a rimfirecentral, they have a thread going using ultrasonic cleaner to clean pistols and magazines. It seems to be working great and with less work and no odor. It's in the "super stock" section and the thread is "carrying on".

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom