• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Just curious, is it considered "bad form" to ask someone why they'd be getting rid of something? It seems like whenever I ask something along those lines, the person with the ad turns cold or stops replying altogether.

It seems like a natural question to me, and I'm not trying to pry into their personal business or be creepy...:dunno:

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I ask, and I've been asked. It shouldn't bother anyone. But if someone is willing to sell something that has hidden defects, etc. they're also probably willing to lie about why they are selling it, so you still have to take the answer with a grain of salt.
    I think it's more valuable to deal with people who have an established "rating" of some sort. But go ahead and ask the question.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    buyer beware

I agree, if you are buying you have a right to ask the question before you dish out your hard earned cash. I always ask that question.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Thats what I was figuring...who knows, maybe I've been careless with my wording or something :dunno:

Maybe I'm imagining things...

I'll keep asking though, it seems like a completely natural question.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Another thought:

I bet people selling things in classified ads get flaked on a bunch. Maybe when people try to have some big conversation about it, or ask "too many" questions about it they figure the inquistor isnt "really" interested or something...

I've never sold anything in an ad, so I'm just guessing on this one.

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    But if someone is willing to sell something that has hidden defects, etc. they're also probably willing to lie about why they are selling it, so you still have to take the answer with a grain of salt.

^^^ That is why I don't bother to ask anymore. :yesway:

There's nothing wrong with asking, but usually the seller will post the reason in the seed-post (if he wants anyone to know).
    The best interweb deals I've ever found often had a sad story behind them (divorce, death, job loss, etc), but sometimes the seller just wants to keep that stuff private.
    I've been through many "desperation sales" myself (sold many new $350 Glocks and $450 Bushmasters to guys right here). I usually don't make the reason public though; it generally feels too much like ... a sales pitch to me.

Never been insulted by someone asking though...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    371   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I also try to post the reason in the OP. I think it can alleviate some concern for the unknown, eg "doesn't fit my hand", "duplicate", etc

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Recently I sold a pistol and the FIRST thing the buyer asked was WHY I was selling it. Honest sellers should not have a problem answering that question.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't have any problem volunteering in the add...nor do I have a problem asking.

I sold a H&K P7 through here about a year ago... Stated right in the ad something to the effect of "just not for me".

No biggie.

Of course, if I HAVE had issues with a firearm, I'm sure to make FULL disclosure. And I HOPE that others have the same courtesy.

-J-

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I see ads all the time where people are asking questions and the seller keeps bumping the ad...but never responds to the questions. If I don't get a response, I just forget about it.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I've asked people before and have been asked the same. I see no problem with it. I'd think if i was going to invest money into anything i'd like to know why the seller was getting rid of it.

Just be sure to PM the seller to avoid the extra bumpage.

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    I don't see any problem with people asking. I usually do, just out of curiosity. Sometimes they just plain don't like the gun for all sorts of reasons after they got it. Fit, feel, looks, even caliber, etc.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If you don't ask you may not be told of a problem with said item.

"Hey - the barrel is welded shut!!!"
    "Sorry man- you never asked, I thought you knew about that model." :dunno:

Anyone that would come back with a how dare you ask me a question attitude needs to rethink their sales strategy a bit. :twocents:

Flitmob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I have bought a few guns on the classifieds. Everyone seems to be pretty honest and I have had good luck with my purchases. If someone would not tell me why they were selling, I would be a little nervous. I usually ask on here or craigslist. I like to know the story. Thats just me though....

Top Bottom