• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've got a friend that's getting married this weekend. He's not exactly a "gun guy" but he came out with me and shot clays and cans a couple times. I want to get him something of his own, I know he would never buy one himself. But, the reasons for this are twofold: One - he bought a house with room to shoot, and I don't have a place to shoot :D and Two - he tends to fall in love with hobbies involving precision and skill.

So I've got a couple questions.

Are there any ~$100 shotguns out there that are fairly decent? Possibly a used Maverick?

Otherwise a cheap bolt action .22 should be good enough, any suggestions?

And last question: what's the law on this? Would this be considered a "straw purchase"? He is not legally ineligible from owning a firearm and I'm not entirely familiar with the long gun laws. Would giving him a long gun as a gift place me in any sort of legal jeopardy as long as he is legally able to own it?

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    If you go out and buy any weapon for the purpose of giving it or buying it for someone else, this is illeagal.

Now if you have a gun that you happen to have or have already purchased and want to give to your friend, I would suggest that you go to an FFL and have them proccess a 4473 form to cover your backside. Hope this helps.

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    guns as gifts are not normally considered as " straw purchases. just ask the dealer. if they were i've been a very bad boy in my time.:ingo:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    If you go out and buy any weapon for the purpose of giving it or buying it for someone else, this is illeagal.

Now if you have a gun that you happen to have or have already purchased and want to give to your friend, I would suggest that you go to an FFL and have them proccess a 4473 form to cover your backside. Hope this helps.

This would only be illegal if the person you are buying it for cannot purchase one for themselves.

If the person could pass the background check you can legally buy the gun and give it to them.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

Gifting a gun is perfectly legal, that isn't a straw purchase.

This would only be illegal if the person you are buying it for cannot purchase one for themselves.

If the person could pass the background check you can legally buy the gun and give it to them.
    You CANNOT take money from someone else, purchase a gun from an FFL and give them the gun. You would not be the "actual purchaser" of the firearm, and that would be illegal. Even if the person COULD pass the background check, it would still be illegal. You can gift them a firearm though, given that you are both residents of the same state.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not EXACTLY a "clay, or trap" gun, but a GREAT little "starter gun, for right at $100?

NEF 12ga. Pardner tracker -About $130 NEW the last time I saw. It's a single shot, but a GREAT learner gun. Simple, rugged, and accurate enough to hunt with.
    You MAY find a used one for $80-$100

Also look at the Rossi "matched pair". You can get a shot gun, AND a rifle, for under $200. 12ga .22lr
    20ga .22mag
    .410ga .243

SEVERAL combos to choose from

They are single shots too, with a quick change barrel, and a LOAD of fun!

I own a .22lr/12ga. combo, as well as a .22lr/20ga. combo

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I've seen a few wedding parties gift guns to fine gentlemen. I don't know if it is okay, but it is in my book.

Legally, they probably have to be in the same state as you if it is a handgun. I'm no lawyer, though!

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Not EXACTLY a "clay, or trap" gun, but a GREAT little "starter gun, for right at $100?

NEF 12ga. Pardner tracker -About $130 NEW the last time I saw. It's a single shot, but a GREAT learner gun. Simple, rugged, and accurate enough to hunt with.
    You MAY find a used one for $80-$100

Also look at the Rossi "matched pair". You can get a shot gun, AND a rifle, for under $200. 12ga .22lr
    20ga .22mag
    .410ga .243

SEVERAL combos to choose from

They are single shots too, with a quick change barrel, and a LOAD of fun!

I own a .22lr/12ga. combo, as well as a .22lr/20ga. combo

I have looked at those, but in my experience, single shots get boring pretty quickly, especially in small calibers. It might be okay in a large rifle where you're spending $1 a round, but especially with a .22, I want to put 5lbs of lead downrange in a sitting.

Thanks for the responses guys. :yesway: Didn't think it would be a straw purchase, I don't see the difference between this and private sales except the time between purchase and gifting. Going through an FFL isn't feasible, the local one charges $75 plus tax for transfers and I'm not driving an hour outta my way to transfer a $100 gun to a lifelong friend of mine.

I should probably check with his wife to be before I buy. But otherwise it looks like it might be a go.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    What will his wife think of you if you give it to him for a wedding gift? You might turn out being "that gun crazy friend". Just something to think about if you like hanging out with the guy.

I'd probably try to give it to him like this if it were me:
    Take him out to go shooting and bring the gun and tell him that you got something new. Shoot it a few times and then let him shoot it. Then when it's time to go\ part ways tell him he better not forget his new gun.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Absolutely incorrect. Only illegal with the purpose of concealing the true purchaser. Buying to give as a gift to someone not disabled from possessing it is entirely legal.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    What about, say a family member that has moved out of state? My sister moved out to Seattle, WA. And when she comes home for Thanksgiving, I was hoping to give her a gun for home protection at least. Cause I doubt she'd get her LTCH to carry, even though I'd rather she did. Would that be legal? Since she is originally from this state, and in fact her drivers license is still from IN if I remember right.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    What about, say a family member that has moved out of state? My sister moved out to Seattle, WA. And when she comes home for Thanksgiving, I was hoping to give her a gun for home protection at least. Cause I doubt she'd get her LTCH to carry, even though I'd rather she did. Would that be legal? Since she is originally from this state, and in fact her drivers license is still from IN if I remember right.

Have to transfer through an FFL in her home state, although, if she's still a resident (by her driver's license) if IN, you could give her a gun. Also you could give it to her before she moves to WA, if you own the gun before she moves to WA.

Top Bottom