• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    In red is the arrests with the type of weapons they had. 15 yr had a loaded shotgun in a backpack?? SBSG perhaps???
    SOURCE:
    Gun, knife arrests at Taste of Chicago - Chicago Breaking News

Gun, knife arrests at Taste of Chicago

July 4, 2009 8:45 PM | 44 Comments | UPDATED STORY
    Six people were arrested on charges of illegally carrying guns and two others face charges of illegally carrying knives at the Taste of Chicago and in Grant Park on Friday, authorities said.
    Police said a 15-year-old boy was arrested with a shotgun after being spotted with it at Taste, while five other people were arrested outside the Taste grounds.
    A total of 31 people were arrested at Taste Friday, according to police. The five adults arrested on felony gun charges Friday appeared in Cook County Bond Court today.
    In addition to those arrested with guns, there also were two people arrested on misdemeanor charges of illegally carrying knives, police said.
    Crowds at the Taste for July 4 were much smaller than the July 3 fireworks, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. She did not have exact figures but said the smaller crowds were expected.
    Chicago police spokesman Roderick Drew said there were two arrests today at the Taste of Chicago. Neither of the arrests was for a major offense, and no weapons were confiscated.
    "The rain may have affected attendance today," Drew said. "It's a healthy crowd, but probably smaller than we anticipated."

The majority of the 31 arrests on Friday were on charges of battery and reckless conduct, Drew said in an e-mail this afternoon.
    There were no incidents of shots fired inside the Taste Friday, although there was an unconfirmed report of shots fired on Van Buren.

One police sergeant was admitted to the hospital after passing out at the Taste and one bike officer was hurt responding to a call who received stitches to his leg, Drew said.
    Drew said the flare-ups of fighting at the Taste were dealt with quickly.
    "You always have incidences flare up at a gathering that large," Drew said. "The officers were quick to arrive on the scene whenever a problem was reported. All in all, the vast majority of people were there to relax, have some food and enjoy themselves. A few were there to cause trouble."
    Drew said police are pleased with the outcome Friday night, considering the volatile nature of the crowd.
    "There are always thing that you could have done better," Drew said, but did not elaborate. "We're going to sit down after the [Taste] and look at refining the plan."
    Police News Affairs Officer Robert Perez also noted that police were able to catch all five of the adults arrested on gun charges outside the perimeter of the Taste.
    All five of the adults appeared in Cook County Bond Court today. Four had bonds set at $100,000 by Judge Laura Sullivan.
    The four who appeared in bond court and had their bonds set at $100,000 were: Catrice Winston, 34, of the 1400 block of West Morris in Berkeley, who was found with a .25-caliber handgun with 9 rounds; Dashawn Dandridge, 18, of the 400 block of West Rutledge in Park Forest, who was apprehended with a loaded .38-caliber handgun; Shawntel McPherson, 18, of 14800 block of Ellis Road in Dolton, who was caught with a loaded .38-calibre handgun; and Kyle Walker, 21, of the 9300 block of South Prairie Avenue, who also was arrested with a loaded gun.
    Daryl Stewart, 28, of the 3300 block of West Madison Street, also was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and appeared in bond court today after being caught with a loaded .22-caliber handgun, but his bond amount was not immediately available.
    In what appears to have been the most serious arrest, a 15-year-old boy was caught with a loaded shotgun he had been trying to hide in a backpack, police said.
    About 7:30 p.m., a police supervisor saw one group of young people exchanging gang signs with another, putting people in the area "in fear," said Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Robert Perez.
    Among one of the two groups, the supervisor saw a teenage boy with a bulging packpack, police said. Officers saw the shotgun sticking out of the suspect's backpack and when the teenager saw police he started to run off. Police ran after him and arrested the suspect as he ran across Lake Shore Drive toward Lake Michigan, police said.
    Hundreds of police officers had been scattered throughout Grant Park for the Taste of Chicago -- many of them on horses, Segways and all-terrain vehicles. Other officers with binoculars were stationed in a lookout tower standing about 50 or 60 feet over the crowd not far from Buckingham Fountain.
    Some incidents were seen or reported. About 9:40 p.m., some 30 police officers had to break up a melee at Congress Parkway and Michigan Avenue as large crowds dispersed west out of Grant Park.
    What started out as an altercation with a small group of people involved -- shoving, pushing, yelling -- within seconds became a larger fight with 10-20 people involved, according to a witness. Police quickly handled the disturbance. No one was hurt and Drew had no information about any charges.
    About 8:30 p.m., police made a few arrests at the Taste following some sort of disturbance near Buckingham Fountain, Drew said Friday. He had no detailed information about that particular incident.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    But how can this be, I'm confused, isn't there strict gun laws in Illinois? Why I have a LTCH from Indiana and I can't legally carry there....hmmmm.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Knives??? I had a folder clipped in my front pocket there all day. Or were these possibly a type of restricted knife?

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Knives??? I had a folder clipped in my front pocket there all day. Or were these possibly a type of restricted knife?

I am surprised by this as well. I carry a S&W folding knife all the time. Switchblades maybe? Rambo knives? This needs further investigation. I carry a knife with me all the time downtown because I want SOMETHING to defend myself. I used to like Mayor Daley. He is part of Chicago. But, I don't like the BS he has been doing in the last few years. Meigs Field. Guns. Children's Museum in Grant Park. The guy has become an insert expletive.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    "You always have incidences flare up at a gathering that large," Drew said.

Uh... :bs:

Have they seen videos of the Tea Parties yet? Did they not notice the fact that they were peaceful, almost zero pieces of trash, and, oh, about somewhere in the THOUSANDS at each major Tea Party? :rolleyes:

In what appears to have been the most serious arrest, a 15-year-old boy was caught with a loaded shotgun he had been trying to hide in a backpack, police said.
    About 7:30 p.m., a police supervisor saw one group of young people exchanging gang signs with another, putting people in the area "in fear," said Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Robert Perez.

Oh great, now 15yo's and gang members are going to be classified as terrorists... Good ole' Chitown for ya... :runaway: I still say we sell Chitown to Canada.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Oh great, now 15yo's and gang members are going to be classified as terrorists... Good ole' Chitown for ya... :runaway: I still say we sell Chitown to Canada.

Canada wouldn't buy it. Maybe we could just give it away!

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    :xmad: Gee, Mayor Daley, sure looks like all those gun control laws you got going on work! I mean, less than 50% of the people arrested with guns were under the age of 21! It sure feels good to know that you are working hard to keep all those "evil" guns off the streets.... just one question though......with all of the laws you have got going on for you, could you explain why the murder by firearm death rate is so high in your supposedly "safe" city????????:dunno:

Top Bottom