GSG-5 Who has one and what do you think.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I got mine on feb 14and have not shot it as of today, Do you have one and what do you think of it ?:popcorn:

Who did you get it from? I'm going to order one this week, just not sure from whom..

Bradis had two pistols as of last weekend, one might go home with me and get an SBR stamp..

But I willy want the wifle..

:ar15::rockwoot::D

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Beech Grove Firearms had 4 of them a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if they are gone. The first batch went in a day.

Thank you.. I'll check'em out.. Keep me in mind if you happen to see any in your travels..:)

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    I got one at the 1500 show. I haven't shot mine yet. Things to know up front. It only comes with one mag. Some of the parts including the lower and handguard are plastic.

fast_project

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    I bought two of the pistol versions and love them. I am SBR one of them. I did the firing pin modification on ar15.com and it now shoots any kind of ammo. At first it would FTF anything other the CCI for me, but now works flawlessly. I may get rid of one of them to fund another project or for the K version coming out in the fall.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    I bought my GSG for 500 back in May from Gander in Castleton.
    MUST BUY EXTRA MAGS, its too much fun. The ammo goes fairly quickly. I've put a Federal Value Pack through it on several occasions without any problems. I did notice, after putting 1,000+ rounds through it without cleaning, it did fail to fully eject a round or two. The bolt at the time felt like gritty sandpaper to charge back, but it was still only about one jam to every 50+ shots. Now I just clean it inbetween range days and it works flawlessly.
    I really want to try out different brands of SubSonic, but I can't seem to find anywhere in Indiana that sells them. I shot a mag of CCI CB (I shoot cb in my Henry) just to see the "cool" factor of the quiet shots, but it got annoying charging the handle every time.

They have a new GSG5Pk version comming out that I have been considering.
    If you havn't seen it, it looks like a civillian version of the MP5k (HK89). It would be pretty awsome if I could get one transfered to me as an AOW with a K grip, If there is a way without spending over $600, Id definately get it with the K grip.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Shot mine last weekend. Put about 3 mags thru it before I changed out stocks and put the telescopic one on it.

I fired at least 250 rounds. I can't be sure, I was having too much fun.

Very tight groupings! 3/4" inch at 25 yards. Down side I had to max out the windage to get it on target left to right. BAD news is there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the elevation except to change out the front site post so it's shooting about 3" high at 25 yards. I didn't shoot it beyond 25 yards but the slots for 50 and 100 yards seem to accurate (as best I can judge).

ZERO failures or stopages of any kind. 1/2 the rounds were remington and about half federal both copper coated from the 550 bulk packs found at walmart. My ruger mark II and 10/22's aren't even that reliable!

Magazines are the easiest to load of any .22lr I've ever fired.

Next time will be even more fun as a package came today containing 5 extra 22 round mags. WOOT!

I love it!

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Really cool looking. But way to pricey for a 22lr IMO... maybe if it was a real rifle caliber or even in 9mm or 40cal. I would be all over it! like I said they look and feel great.

retgarr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    I dunno about them. It seemed that as soon as they came out they were being sold used. I still see them everywhere on the buy/sell/trade boards. I don't know why so many people are unloading theirs so soon.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Really cool looking. But way to pricey for a 22lr IMO... maybe if it was a real rifle caliber or even in 9mm or 40cal. I would be all over it! like I said they look and feel great.

It's all relative. How much and how often would you shoot it if it was a rifle caliber?

While I might normally agree with you on a .22lr... For A German made rifle under $500 out the door... well you get what you pay for.

For me a 100% reliable (so far) and accuracy as good as my 10/22's and it's from Germany? I don't have any real issues with the price.

Heck the money I'll save with this .22lr 'EBR' vs something in a center fire caliber, it'll pay for itself in no time.

250 rounds of .22lr 7 bucks.
    vs
    250 rounds of 9mm 50 bucks.

See, the cost of my GSG-5 was just reduced by 43 dollars on just one day of shooting! :cool:

With ammo costs, I am shooting a lot more .22lr. I like to shoot. In the past I'd shoot over 1,000 rounds of centerfire on a given trip to the range. I can't afford to put that much money down range... now it's 750 rounds of .22lr and 250 of centerfire, lol.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Ill agree on the cheap ammo part.... but I own (3) 22lrs. And would rather IMO spend the 500 on a real rifle. I can shoot my AK for about 18$ per 100 thats cheaper than shooting my 9mm. I can live with my self at 18 cents a round. with the added idea that when needed my 7.62x39 will serve me better than any 22lr less I'm shooting small critters. Hell buy a cheap 22lr and an AK for about 550-600. have the best of both worlds!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ill agree on the cheap ammo part.... but I own (3) 22lrs. And would rather IMO spend the 500 on a real rifle. I can shoot my AK for about 18$ per 100 thats cheaper than shooting my 9mm. I can live with my self at 18 cents a round. with the added idea that when needed my 7.62x39 will serve me better than any 22lr less I'm shooting small critters. Hell buy a cheap 22lr and an AK for about 550-600. have the best of both worlds!

I can agree with that, especially if you are on a tight budget. One thing I'll say is that shooting my 10/22 is fun, but I use it for training and precision shooting (read apple seed type practice and rifleman shooting).

They are cheap (on sale I got my 10/22 with digital camo stock from gander for 199 on sale), but they aren't as much fun as something like a MP5 platform. I've got another 10/22 with a folding butler creek stock, even that doesn't hold a candle to the fun factor of the GSG 5.

Back in the day when I was shooting my AR for 11 cents a round and the AK47 for 9 cents a round delivered, yep and yep. If I drive to Jasper Pulaski or Winamac I'm looking at 35 bucks in gas alone and I've got a 2 and 4 year old now I'm supporting.

With winter coming I'll be heading to Deb's and the GSG 5 is going to be great for that as well.

I like to shoot. I like to shoot slow and accurate and I like to blast away and just riddle a pie plate.

If nothing else the thumb saving gsg mags are almost worth the price ;) . I want to save money and still have fun. I also didn't sell anything to acquire it and it's not like I need another AR or AK in my collection :n00b: So no sacrificies on hunting, target or SHTF weapons ;)

Different strokes for different folks. :D

Top Bottom