• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I absolutely dig a .22 lr for short range ground hoggin', but where I hunt, it seems the little critters are really skittish. I can usually get a decent shot on them poking their heads out of the weeds, but they are tough enough to suck back down into wherever they came from and I lose them in the weeds dead or alive.

I just need a tiny bit more power and maybe just a bit more range so I can be assured the dang things are dead, and in the off chance I see them in the open, I can drop one in place. The areas I hunt are not wide open, but they are not so restricted as to warrant a pistol.
    Am I looking for something in a .22 magnum, or should I go on up to a .223?

Cost is a bit of a factor, I'm not going to spend more than about 400 bucks at the very most.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You could stay at your budget of below with a good 22 mag rifle/optics or go slightly over with a 223 bolt/optics combo (Savage edge etc)

If your set on a Remington 223 you will need a couple hundred more..

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    .223 ammo is probably easier to find, and not much more expensive. So I'd personally consider an AR-15 because of its, well...awesomeness. Hornady makes some nice frangible varment rounds in 40-50gr that would probably be safer than regular FMJ. I'd also put a suppressor on it, but hey, that's just me!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    A 22WMR and the proper bullet will buy a little more range than the 22lr, but if you are looking to go past 125yds I would go centerfire or wait to see if Winchester's new 17 Win Super Mag rimfire takes off.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I would go .223. Plenty of power, ammo isn't outrageous. A good hollow-point should do the trick.

Them little burgers are mean too.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Years ago (30??) I hit a whistle-pig with a .300 Win Mag at 150 yards. Very small entrance wound, it didn't have a back. For reaching out at that range a .243 would be excellent.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    7.62x54r! Because worrying about it being dead or alive is over-rated.. and because wasting ammo is over rated.. and because getting up out of your chair to make sure its dead is over rated.. and because expensive ammo is over rated..

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, 22WMR is a good choice. VERY flat trajectory and alot of punch. I hit a LARGE groundhog sized coon at 25 yards with CCI JHPs and dropped him in his tracks. entrance wound was just ahead of the shoulder. Exit was near the opposite hip. When I approached I noticed something odd. I rolled him over with my boot and I realized about a foot of his intestines were hanging out the exit wound. :n00b:

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    7.62x54r! Because worrying about it being dead or alive is over-rated.. and because wasting ammo is over rated.. and because getting up out of your chair to make sure its dead is over rated.. and because expensive ammo is over rated..

If you are suggesting a mosin that would take him right back to 22lr distance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How would a mosin take him back to 22lr range? 7.62x54 vs .22 :dunno:

I assume that because many Mosins are questionable in their accuracy due to bore problems that once you get out beyond 50m their accuracy could be questionable. (at least thats how I took it)

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    .17 hmr will give you the added distance and acuracy. You can pick up a nice marlin bolt action with a bull barrel for around $200. I use mine for yote's and it knocks them flat.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For 75 yards and in work, I rather like a .22 mag.

Decades hunting chucks with scoped .243's.............I ran an iron sighted .22 Mag Winchester 9422M for close in stuff.

Some farms offered brush piles, old barns, creeks plus fields............the combo was very effective. Set up on a vantage point for the field, if no action leave the .243 in the shade and take a sneak around the other stuff with the .22 mag.

Good times.

Top Bottom