• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddavies70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    So im looking at purchasing either the 6.5 or a .458. Just thought I would see what everyone elses thoughts were on these two rifles.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    These are purpose dependent rifles basically. Long range lazer vs. short range thumper.

While the 458 is a short range thumper, I think that many people mistakenly think that the 6.5 Grendel is only useful at long ranges.

In fact its a great overall round for anyone wanting something more potent than the 5.56 at SHORT, MIDDLE and LONG ranges. Sure, compared to anything else you blow out the barrel of an AR15 the 6.5 Grendel will outrun most everything at long ranges, but its also a very effective round at all ranges. With lightweight bullets its a pretty darn good varmint rifle. With heavier bullets its a one shot stopper of medium size game. Recoil is light/modest, a bit more than the 5.56 but only half of a 308 Win and my daughter can easily manage quick follow up shots.

One of my fellow members over at the 6.5 Grendel Forums just did a 752 yard 1 shot clean kill on an antelope. LINK => Picture of my 1-shot dead drop 752 yard kill of a speedgoat

ddavies70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Yes I do understand Im not comparing apples to apples. I do know in Indiana I can hunt with the .458 and it does not have the reach out and touch someone range of the 6.5. I guess what I was looking for is what other guns owners like/dislike about either gun. I only wish the Grendel was legal to hunt with it would make this easier. Although when going out west it would be a great gun to have with me. Really its not trying to fill any type of need other than filling an empty slot in my gun safe.

Top Bottom