• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    "GREENWOOD, Ind. (WISH) - What started as a domestic fight, ended with Greenwood Police shooting and killing a man.

Two Greenwood Police officers are on administrative leave, and three people, including two children, are recovering from injuries.

"We heard a bunch of screams, a lady and a little girl screaming, help he's going to kill us," witness Jason Kyle said.

The woman was 29-year old Theresa Johnson and the girl was Johnson's 7-year old daughter. Jason Kyle, walked over to help when saw a car, driven by Jerry Brian Bobb, heading toward him.

"I backed up a little bit and as soon as I did he swerved and when he swerved he went towards the curb, hit the curb and plowed over the little girl and her mother," Kyle said.

When Kyle heard Theresa scream he ran, picked up her daughter and looked back only to see the suspect running after him.

"I ran as far as I could and I sat her down because I didn't think he was going to stop following us and like I said he just veered off the other way. He didn't say a word. It was like something you see out of a horror movie," Kyle said.

Officers say Bobb ran back to the apartment at 1322 Countryside Drive where he started three fires. Bobb grabbed Johnson's 11-month old baby and ran outside where he confronted Sgt. James Ison and Patrolman Aaron Wehnert with a knife.

"We heard them screaming and yelling him to drop the knife, drop the knife," witness Terry Tucker said. "They said taser him, taser him and they tasered him and he didn't stop moving at all. He had come at one of the officers with the knife and that's when they opened fire."

"I got behind the building because I didn't know who was shooting at who, then I looked down the street and the gentleman was laying on the ground," witness Monica Fries said.

Police say the Bobb died at the scene.

Now, Sgt. Ison and Patrolman Wehnert are on administrative leave until detectives complete their investigation.

Relatives say Theresa Johnson, her 7-year old daughter and her 11-month old, who suffered burns from the fire, are recovering from their injuries.

The Red Cross is assisting three families in the apartment complex with food, clothing and shelter.

Report by Ruthanne Gordon, WISH-TV. Edited by Jackie Carpenter."

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Unfortunately, you may have to take a life in order to save a life as an LEO. I am sure those officers have been going over the "what If" thoughts.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I understand there were six shell cases found at the shoot. I question the training? Six shots on one guy? I also understand stress in a shooting situation but six?

Give me a break. I suppose if someone is trying to kill you with a knife you're going to shoot one bullet at a time and pause between to see if it was effective? Six was apparently enough.

KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    Yes, The cops did the right thing!!! I do not question that at all!!! {Some of this I have to assume and that is dangerous}
    2 Cops there. I also understand a taser was deployed to no use. So they had to be inside 20yrd. 2 or 3 maybe 4 shots of 9mm {45 Cal. even better} in center body mass should stop anybody. I understand the blood is pumping. Hell I don't care if the stand there and unload everything they have into the guy!!!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    On television two, three or four shots from a handgun will kill almost anyone, probably launch them back a few feet as well. The reality is that handguns don't work that reliably on people. Some will drop with one shot and there have been some who have taken ten and kept going.

The bottom line is you shoot until the threat is stopped. If you get that done with one shot, great. If it takes a whole mag, so be it. Don't believe for one second that "x" number of shots is all I need to stop someone.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I understand there were six shell cases found at the shoot. I question the training? Six shots on one guy? I also understand stress in a shooting situation but six?

With what you wrote in this post, you show that you do NOT understand stress in a shooting.

Windwalker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Two officers firing six shots [3 shots each?]at a man attacking with a knife could happen in less than 1 minute and should not be excessive. We were taught to continue shooting until the threat is negated. The fact that no more shots were fired indicates that this is what the Officers did. From the information given it looks like a clean shoot to me.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine

I understand the cops tasered the guy but it didn't even slow him down, he was still charging at them with a knife. So if your less than lethal attempt fails, I would imagine the panic level rises somewhat. Six rounds , two cops, possibly three per cop. Doesn't sound like overkill <no pun intended>, sounds like good 3 round bursts to me. But no one would know but the two officers. They did their job.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Not to beat a dead horse, but schools that I have attended, all instructed to keep pressing the trigger until that fuzzy picture behind the front sight is no longer there.

We, humans, are very resilient creatures. Even with rifles, an instant incapacitation is not guaranteed. In Black Hawk Down, the author describes several incidents where old folks and women continue fighting even when shredded with SAWs and M60s.

KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    Thank you all for enlighting me. I guess I rely on my hunting back ground to much. One maybe two shots on a deer or elk bring it down. I have never faced down a wounded water buffalo charging you. I would shoot till the the threat was gone. Also leaves less witness. LOL

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Thank you all for enlighting me. I guess I rely on my hunting back ground to much. One maybe two shots on a deer or elk bring it down. I have never faced down a wounded water buffalo charging you. I would shoot till the the threat was gone. Also leaves less witness. LOL

If you're using a rifle or shotgun you'd only need a couple shots. But a handgun is very underpowered compared to a long gun so you'd need more rounds to stop. Like the other guys have said, I'll shoot until the threat is neutralized.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I work at a Greenwood hotel and I just found out we're housing some of the residents of other apartments that were damaged in the fire that idiot set.

Hats off to KimberCarry for being willing to learn something new everyday.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But a handgun is very underpowered compared to a long gun so you'd need more rounds to stop.

I'll have you know that I only need one shot to stop a paper target. First, you shout "Look out, Ned, it's coming right for us!"...

Top Bottom