Great Ammo Shortage of 2013 Ending Soon?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcwill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So, i'm hearing a lot of chatter about the ammo shortage coming to an end soon. Some calibers are more available...but is the shortage coming to an end? Thoughts?

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    I've been shopping around me (Walmart in Westfield and fishers, Gander Mountain at Castleton, dicks in carmel) with no luck the last couple of weeks... Although others have said they are seeing ammo more readily available in some areas.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    I've been shopping around me (Walmart in Westfield and fishers, Gander Mountain at Castleton, dicks in carmel) with no luck the last couple of weeks... Although others have said they are seeing ammo more readily available in some areas.

I was in Gander on Friday, and they were stocked with everything, even 22. They wanted too much for it all, but they had it.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I can find all pistol calibers to reload (plated and lead). The problem is finding powder and primers, but members always have some to sell/trade. Af for factory stuff, I've found plenty at my LGS recently.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've noticed availability is much better, and prices on the calibers I buy seem to have gone down some 25%. That's still up 25% from pre-panic though. Better than nothing. I've resumed some light buying, but I'm still not buying .22s.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I don't care about the shortage or not, I refuse to pay ammo higher than Walmart prices. now I just have to find some primers.

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    Cabelas in hammond has primers. May want to call first as they go quick. I even found 22 lr but in limited supply. It does look like things are getting better. The only thing that is not available in any quanity anywhere is powder.

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    I was in Gander on Friday, and they were stocked with everything, even 22. They wanted too much for it all, but they had it.

My buddy told me the same thing. Unfortunately, I was out of town all week last week and missed out. Still kicking myself for not having him pick some up for me.

Engalwood

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Greenwood
    Walmart raised there prices as well if u haven't noticed. The 100 round .223 federal is now over $40, 5.56 ammo can is now $199 and change, the American eagle .22 20 round is now over $10 a box.... Not back any where to normal and won't be for some time to come!!'

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Walmart also raised prices on shotgun shells. They went from $25.37 to $26 something for 4 boxes. Which makes Gander Mountain at $5.99/box the bargain right now. And if you purchase 10 boxes, you get an additional 5% off.

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Haven't bought anything yet; still riding it out. I see more but I'm not buying at the "new normal".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I tend to avoid wally world if I can. I have shot 30 or 40 boxes of the blue box Federal shotshells from Gander Mountain and probably twice that many of the Wally world Federal shotshells. I cannot tell the difference. Both crush just as many targets as AA shells.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    No shortage here, I just stocked up on everything when it became available after the last shortage happened. The whining will start again after the next one happens, but in the meantime I'll just stock up some more, bit by bit. Those who don't remember history, are doomed to repeat it.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The price gouging on ammo is for the best. It lets stores have product to sell. They lose a LOT of business if they are out of stock. Once supply stabilizes, then prices will go down and the equilibrium price will settle in eventually.

Top Bottom