• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I'm looking for good suggestions for some new reading material. I am pretty new to reading graphic novels, but I have read V for Vendetta and I have the first two volumes of the Walking Dead books on order now. Just looking for some suggestions. I like just about all sub genres: sci-fi, horror, etc...

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    League Of Extraordinary Gentleman vol 1 and 2
    From Hell
    The Marquis
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Batman Year One
    Daredevil Yellow
    Marvels
    Kingdom Come

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I would sugest going to a local comic shop and browsing. Being graphic novels, the writing is only a part of it. The rest is the artwork/story telling.

That's the main reason I never was a Watchman fanboy. The art just didn't appeal to me. (But I loved the movie!)

V for Vendetta and the Walking Dead are both great. You're off to a good start.

I'll also +1 The Dark Knight Returns! If you like Frank Miller's style, but you're not a fan of capes... try 300 and the Sin City series.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I would sugest going to a local comic shop and browsing. Being graphic novels, the writing is only a part of it. The rest is the artwork/story telling.

That's the main reason I never was a Watchman fanboy. The art just didn't appeal to me. (But I loved the movie!)

That's why I never bothered with the Watchmen when I was younger. The art just appeared...boring (at least to me).

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Try "The Probability Broach". Based on a novel by L. Neil Smith. The Girl Genius series by the Foglios is also a great series, (available online as a daily). I'll second the suggestion that you browse through the nearest comic store, too. There are lots of graphic novels out there and some of the older ones aren't to be missed.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Not a graphic novel, but I was/am enthralled by the TPB's of Irredeemable. It's so good I can't bring myself to read the last issue because I don't want it to end.

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    "The Crow" by James O'Barr. The movie version is the production that took the life of Bruce Lee's son Brandon.

I loved that one. I bought the individual issues when they came out. It took him forever to publish that last one! I've been kind of out of touch with comics... err.... I mean graphic novels for 15+ years. Has he done anything else noteworthy since then?

One of the books that did catch my eye lately is Atomic Robo. Good old fashioned action! Check out the free comics on the website: http://www.atomic-robo.com

I discovered that one through www.comiXology.com
    You can buy digital comics and read them online, on your phone, tablet or Kindle. They don't have everything, but their library is growing and they have lots of free samples!

p.s.
    You also can't go wrong with Hellboy!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom