• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As many of you already know, I completed Pat Rogers/EAG's Pistol Level 2 course earlier this week. It was to be immediately followed by a Carbine Operator's Course, so Pat had all of his ancillary gear there, including the SCAR-16S that he is currently wringing out. The pistol class got to examine it up-close and ask questions during lunch break on TD2.

Overall, the SCAR feels a lot better than it looks. It is quite a bit lighter than a comparably-equipped M4, due to the lightweight barrel and the extensive use of polymers in the lower. Pat also said the SCAR was more accurate than the M4, holding around 2MOA out to 600 yards. :eek: The stock, while not bomb-proof, doesn't feel as flimsy as some might lead you to believe. There's a little bit of flex in the adjustable cheekpiece, but I liken it to the wobble/rattle of some collapsible AR stocks - a minor annoyance, nothing more. The sight line is a little higher than an M4. While this would mean more holdover at close ranges, I didn't have any problem using the irons or optics. Control placement is fine (those with small hands/short fingers may disagree), and the 45-degree selector throw is a friggin' godsend. It could use full-length side rails to accommodate a sling mount and a white light on the left side. I don't care for the HK hook sling mounts, regardless of WHAT gun they're on.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to shoot it. Pat likened the recoil sensation to "a cement truck going through a tunnel" - you can feel that big heavy bolt carrier travel through the entire length of its cycle. Not uncomfortable, but something to get used to, especially if you're used to a DI AR-15/M-16 type system. As discussed in another thread (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/4706-new_rifle_designs-3.html#post471039), he also said the military guns are eating AN/PEQ-15 visible/IR lasers and white lights, due to the nature of the recoil system - much the same way an airgun can eat optics designed for high-powered rifles. He'd had an Aimpoint Micro T-1 mounted on this gun for a documented 1854 rounds, and reported no problems with the optic itself. His gun was also set up with the TangoDown Battlegrip and stubby VFG, the Gemtech Bi-Lock flash hider/suppressor mount, and a VTAC sling. Nice package overall.

Pat said he thought the SCAR was a good gun, but at this point would not take one over an M4 if he was going to war and was given a choice between the two platforms.

This was an interesting exercise and opportunity, but even if/when the guns become more available and affordable, I won't be buying one. Pat did buy his, however. He said he paid about what one would pay for a Noveske AR - that is, a fraction of the stratospheric prices the SCARs are currently commanding, and probably well below the stated MSRP of $2700. It must be good to be King. ;)

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Pat said he thought the SCAR was a good gun, but at this point would not take one over an M4 if he was going to war and was given a choice between the two platforms.

Can you say more about why exactly?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Can you say more about why exactly?

Partially because he has WAY more time on the M4 at this point. That will be changing somewhat, though; he plans to run the gun (personally, as well as using it as a student loaner) in his classes until the end of the year, whereupon he will write up an evaluation article for SWAT Magazine. The gun should have 11,000 rounds or so on it by that time. :rockwoot:

The other reasons, I gathered, were little niggling items like the relative lack of rail estate, sling mount placement and control reach. On the commercial side of the house, I would also add a HUGE red flag for lack of parts availability (FN is the sole source, and they're not selling). What good is an interchangeable barrel if you can't get other profiles/lengths? To say nothing of spare/replacement parts.

My :twocents:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Partially because he has WAY more time on the M4 at this point. That will be changing somewhat, though; he plans to run the gun (personally, as well as using it as a student loaner) in his classes until the end of the year, whereupon he will write up an evaluation article for SWAT Magazine. The gun should have 11,000 rounds or so on it by that time. :rockwoot:

The other reasons, I gathered, were little niggling items like the relative lack of rail estate, sling mount placement and control reach. On the commercial side of the house, I would also add a HUGE red flag for lack of parts availability (FN is the sole source, and they're not selling). What good is an interchangeable barrel if you can't get other profiles/lengths? To say nothing of spare/replacement parts.

My :twocents:

I have this complaint about Robinson Arms XCR. Though I like it, there is a HUGE issue, like you state, about parts being available. Though many things interchange, I'd still have to order a bolt from them if I had an issue...

POF presents the same issue.

These guns all run, but parts are specific... :noway:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    But could you if you needed to? AFAIK, Robinson will sell you spare parts for your XCR if you call and order them.

Yes sir. Buying the adapter to put that MOE stock on my XCR took 4 weeks though. :n00b: Small shops give you small quirks sometimes and sometimes 'special designs'. :): But, despite my ignorance, the rifle has survived me.

Top Bottom