• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I already had the LWD 10mm barrel for my G20 so I could shoot lead and to make my brass last longer. When I got it I had to polish the feedramp to chamber angle several times to get it to feed reliably, and I had to polish the chamber itself several times. Pretty much any time I'd get a failure to go into battery I'd polish it some more until it's fairly reliable now.

As folks may know I decided to go slumming and get my first .40s&w for a backup gun. I decided on a Walther PPS which I have grown to be really fond of (if they'd make a 10mm I'd be in heaven!).

Now that I've accumulated brass and loaded rounds for the Walther, it was time to get the LWD .40s&w barrel for my G20. When it arrived and I had it installed I tried chambering a round. No luck; failure to feed. I sorta expected this so out came the dremel and the polish wheel. I did the feedramp to chamber angle and then a light polish inside the chamber and it now has fed consistantly for about 50 rounds. Since I am running a brass test with my Walther, https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...628-a_new_40s_and_w_brass_test_10_pieces.html , that I'm posting about in another thread, I picked 5 new pieces of once fired brass and am reloading them. One thing I have noticed is that this barrel is TIGHT! I barely need any resizing effort at all when I am reloading. It's much tighter than the Walther chamber, which is already much tighter than the stock Glock .40 barrel.

Installation was drop in. I wondered if I'd need a lighter spring to cycle my loads which are medium, but this has not been the case, though it tends to flip the cases over my head with the occasional one bouncing off the top of my head. I might get a spring that's a couple pounds lighter and see if that affects it.

My first impression shooting it was "Wow! It's like shooting a .22lr!" Well, not quite that mild, but it seemed like it. The G20 is a big gun with a lot of frame flex to tame the recoil of the 10mm, so the .40 is a pleasant surprise out of it.

My second surprise was the accuracy! At 50' I put 4 of the 5 rounds into a line about an inch across with the 5th about an inch and a half above. All nearly dead center in the black. I am so used to shooting this gun with full house 10mm rounds and keeping a 2-3" group that the much milder recoil was a piece of cake.

So in all I am very happy, I have additional cross-platform capability as far as ammo is concerned. My next step is to get a .40 barrel for my G29.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Good read! I also shoot lead in a LW barrel, G20 platform. I find my cast bullets have feed problems when it is straigh WW (10-12 Br). Feed problems are reduced with a WW alloy, water dropped (12-14 Br). I've had the best luck with hard cast (18-20 Br) purchased from Missouri Bullet or Montana Bullet Works.

So I now buy bulk .40 and bulk .44 (.429 for Mag and .431 for my 44 spl), and cast the oddball rifle and revolver boolits. I'm trying a new blend this summer (when I get a little free time) to get a Br 22-25, then I can buld some solids for the 338 Win and 416 Rigby.

Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Excellent write up. I have a similar experience. I shoot a Glock 22 and purchased a Lone Wolf replacement barrel. I initially had failure to feed issues and polished the feed ramp. I did nothing with the chamber.

Out of interest I measured the Diameter of the Glock chamber and measured 0.430 and measured the Lone Wolf chamber at 0.425 which is only slightly larger than the load cartridge. It would be interesting to know what diameter you polished the Lone Wolf chamber to?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Excellent write up. I have a similar experience. I shoot a Glock 22 and purchased a Lone Wolf replacement barrel. I initially had failure to feed issues and polished the feed ramp. I did nothing with the chamber.

Out of interest I measured the Diameter of the Glock chamber and measured 0.430 and measured the Lone Wolf chamber at 0.425 which is only slightly larger than the load cartridge. It would be interesting to know what diameter you polished the Lone Wolf chamber to?

I was getting failures to go completely into battery which is why I polished the chamber on the 10mm barrel. I'll measure tomorrow when I do some shooting and see what it and the stock glock barrel are and what the new .40 barrel is.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Well, I measured the barrels. The LWD .40 chamber was .428, the LWD 10mm chamber was the same, and my stock Glock 10mm chamber was .435. My PPS chamber was .435 as well.

Since I didn't measure the LWD barrels before I polished them, I don't know what they started at.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom