• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I almost forgot to tell everyone. I was pulled over the other day because some jerk pulled out in front of me so I laid on my horn, next thing I know there is a police car behind me. So I pulled over and the officer came up to my window and asked if there was a problem and I kindly replied, "Why, are you looking for one", I really didnt say that, but I wanted to. I said no but that guy pulled out in front of me and he said, no he didnt, I seen it, and I said well I dont care what you saw, that guy pulled out in front of me so I let him know what I thought about it. He then asked for my license so I pulled them out along with my LTCH and he said he didnt care about the LTCH so I put it back in my wallet. He went back to his car with my license and wasnt even in the car 15 seconds and came back and told me im free to leave. He didnt even ask if I was carrieing or if I had one in my truck. I think when he saw my LTCH he figured why run a check and then let me leave. Over all, he was a cool cop.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    To begin with, you did not have to show the officer your LTCH. The other thing, there is a relatively new law about "aggressive driving". I believe one of the criteria is honking your horn. From what I remember of this law, there has to be more than one act of aggressive driving before the officer can cite you for it. I might be wrong, so you should probably look this up yourself.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    It is actually against the law to blow your horn for a reason other than an emergency. Stupid I know, but unless it's an emergency, you can be cited. I found this out the hard way :-)

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    It is actually against the law to blow your horn for a reason other than an emergency. Stupid I know, but unless it's an emergency, you can be cited. I found this out the hard way :-)

Yep, same thing happened to my dad about a year ago. I highly doubt most officers would cite you, Just because you could challenge it and say that it was an emergency, since they almost hit your vehicle.

dumb law none the less.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

I think "emergency" may be a bit higher standard than actually enacted.

Indiana General Assembly said:
    IC 9-19-5-2
    Use of horn during operation of vehicle
    Sec. 2. The driver of a motor vehicle shall, when reasonably necessary to ensure safe operation, give audible warning with the horn on the motor vehicle but may not otherwise use the horn when upon a highway.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I had not heard of this law so I had to look it up.

Link to the reference:
    Indiana Online Driver Improvement School, Indiana Online Driver Safety Course Sample
    Lindsay’s Law

As a result of a horrific traffic crash in 2004 caused by road rage (see the article at the end of this section), the Indiana House of Representatives passed what is known as “Lindsay’s Law” to deal with aggressive drivers. This law defines “aggressive driving” as driving with the intent to harass or intimidate a person in another vehicle and knowingly or intentionally commits at least three of the following offenses:

• Following another vehicle too closely, or tailgating.
    • Unsafe driving, which includes slowing down or stopping, turning, or changing lanes in a manner that is unsafe.
    • Overtaking another vehicle on the right by driving off the roadway.
    • Unnecessary use of the horn.
    • Failure to yield as required.
    • Failure to obey a traffic signal or sign.
    • Driving at an unsafe speed.
    • Repeatedly flashing the vehicle’s headlights.
    Aggressive driving is a Class A misdemeanor which may, upon conviction, result in a jail sentence of up to one year and a fine of up to $5,000. However, if the act caused an injury or death to another person, it becomes a felony. Aggressive driving resulting in serious bodily injury to another person is a Class D felony, while it becomes a Class C felony if it results in the death of another person.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    does-that-make-you-horny-baby-7.jpg

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I wasnt mad at the guy, I was just messing with him and I get pulled over.
    How does he know you weren't mad at the guy? and I believe it has been pointed out in IC that "just messing with him" isn't a valid reason to blow the horn and could get you a citation. :dunno:

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    What the crap is the horn for if not to be honked!? You can get pulled over for it?! This is pissing me off so much I think I'll go outside and honk my horn right now.

The horn is so therapeutic. I honk and instantly feel better. Actually it generally makes me start laughing. So if anything it's a rage reducing. Granted I don't honk very often but yeah if someone cuts me off, nearly hits me etc you bet I'm gonna honk at them and give them the finger and feel like a champ. If I get a citation for that, so be it. I'll still honk and flip people off. 11 years of driving I've never hit anyone or anything.

+1 to you OP! Horn Honkers UNITE.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    So flashing your brights and honking your horn at the idiot doing 50 MPH in the left lane on 465 you can get a ticket for? Interesting.

Top Bottom