• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Ok so i finally got my lyman reloading book and have spent the last hour or so reading. I am looking at the load data at this point for 223. I purchased a 62gr sp-bt(soft point-boat tail) projectile to use. It was all that was available because of this mess happening currently.

anyway looking in the book it has load data for a 62gr FMJ. Where do i find the data for this particular bullet or can i use the data thats given in the book for the FMJ?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So i purchased the bullets from Bobcat they can in ziploc bag with no brand name on them.

So just went and checked the link and it doesnt have an option for a 62 grain bullet

According to Hodgdon with H335 it lists this.
    BULLET WEIGHT62 GR. SFT SCIR
    Manufacturer Hodgdon
    Powder H335
    Bullet Diameter .224"
    C.O.L. 2.260"
    Starting Load
    Grains 19.3
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,678
    Pressure 47,500 PSI
    Maximum Load
    Grains 21.4
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,887
    Pressure 53,600 PSI

Start low work your way up test every load as you go up.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    If one is to use unknown components then use closest pub data and chrono a few and examine case, extraction, etc. The happening in hand loading mysterious components and trying to shoot them out of homemade or substandard guns is the perfect storm for an accident.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    I would start 10% below the suggested load and work my way up .2 grains for 10 rounds called a ladder test.Do you have a cronograph?velocity is how you get your load

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    According to Hodgdon with H335 it lists this.
    BULLET WEIGHT62 GR. SFT SCIR
    Manufacturer Hodgdon
    Powder H335
    Bullet Diameter .224"
    C.O.L. 2.260"
    Starting Load
    Grains 19.3
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,678
    Pressure 47,500 PSI
    Maximum Load
    Grains 21.4
    Velocity (ft/s) 2,887
    Pressure 53,600 PSI

Start low work your way up test every load as you go up.
    now why couldnt i find that through their site. Imma go look again.

I would start 10% below the suggested load and work my way up .2 grains for 10 rounds called a ladder test.Do you have a cronograph?velocity is how you get your load
    i do not have one but its on the list

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't forget about case preparation. It is important too. Using the same bullet weight for a jacketed bullet, but different design, i.e. fmj, sp or hp, is what I do. Otherwise I dig around and find the data from another source. Most reloaders own more than one manual. Always check immediately for pressure signs when working up a load.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Don't forget about case preparation. It is important too. Using the same bullet weight for a jacketed bullet, but different design, i.e. fmj, sp or hp, is what I do. Otherwise I dig around and find the data from another source. Most reloaders own more than one manual. Always check immediately for pressure signs when working up a load.
    I am going to get Some of the other manuals out there I’m just not in a rush currently still need to buy a chronograph but thanks for the info!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've been reloading for over 45 years. I have never owned a chronograph. It would be useful, though in trying to hit target velocities when working up loads or if I were concerned with getting the minimum power factor for certain pistol competitions. I always have been striving for accuracy and having "borrowed" loading data from knowledgeable reloaders, I've had good luck.

Top Bottom