• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    saw this posted on FB so I thought I would share it here for our local grammar Nazi's. I don't really bother w/ punctuation as much as I should, but it is the internet... either way I figured this could provide some laughs down the road.

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    That's pretty funny, but I've always been bothered when people use the excuse you give in your OP for bad grammar. Your grammar never seems that bad to me. When I read your posts it doesn't jump out at me (This post aside) like some peoples online posts do. The reason I don't like that excuse for bad grammar is this. I feel like 1000 years from now, when the internet is most likely obsolete technology, people will look back on it as sort of a treasure trove of information from the past. Kind of how we view cave paintings, ancient texts, etc. I'm pretty confident that those people looking back will say something along the lines of, "Holy crap! These people were beyond stupid back then!". I'm also not the kind to be all gung-ho about a few missed punctuation marks, or other simple mistakes.

Itz w3n p33pz typ lik dis dat i cnt stnd 2 c on t3h intraw3bz wit n3v3r 3ndin s3ntanc3z nd no punctuation 2 b s33n nd ital jis floz 2g3th3r m8king it r3ally hard 2 r3ad or distinguish wat d3yz tryna say.

That was actually quite a challenge to type like that. Took me way longer than it would have if I had just typed it correctly.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    My problem with punctuation while typing is because it was pretty much my main method of communication with my family during my two tours overseas. I would message back and forth on AOL instant messanger, and I really didn't care much about spelling or punctuation. I never had to type papers for school so I never learned to type at speed (I am a very very fast typer) while using proper grammer spelling and punctuation. spell check and autocorrect helps my posts more than you know. I don't think I will ever be able to type correctly mostly because I am pretty much stuck in my ways.

all that being said, I am glad you don't find my posts obnoxious, and I think the biggest reason is because most of my posts I try to make at least moderately helpful. at least I don't get called out on grammer and spelling as much as some people on this board do. Maybe I am an INGO seasoned veteran that nobody wants to mess with???

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    28. My first computer used a floppy disk. My first game system was the original Nintendo. old enough to remember computers being worthless. Young enough to not remember life before them.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I thought you were younger than that.

:):

28. My first computer used a floppy disk. My first game system was the original Nintendo. old enough to remember computers being worthless. Young enough to not remember life before them.

I'm only 26 and remember when most computer games were word based or they had very primitive graphics. I remember when Doom first came out. I grew up with a computer not far out of reach because of my dad, so I understand what you're saying. That said, I do speak l33t and it bugs the crap out of me when people use it. Also, it's grammar, not Kelsey Grammer.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Still. I see AOL as one of the first major internet service providers that didn't change with the technology fast enough and faded away (as opposed to burning out). And that seems like such a long time ago.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If it means anything, the first three years of my internet usage, were free because of the 1,000 minute cards they used to send out w/ the sunday paper in my area. I would go around knocking door to door asking if I could have their card if they were not going to use it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow... don't mean to hijack the original thread, but this talk of floppy disks and AOL and their "free" disks brings back memories! First computer I ever used (at home that is) was a Tandy 1000. The operating system resided on one of those 5" floppies (and they were indeed "floppy" since they were just cardboard), and it was DOS - no Windows. There was no mouse, so no "clicking" on anything - you just had your keyboard. My first computer game was Zork - all text based with no graphics (as can be seen on an episode of The Big Bang Theory). My modem was 300 baud (think a 56K dial-up connection is slow? Try 0.3K!), so doing anything "online" meant watching each screen slowly be "painted" on the monitor. By the way, "online" meant knowing the phone number of the computer you were trying to connect to (like IUPUI's mainframe) and having your computer "dial" it, not an IP address or URL. Ah, nostalgia... :oldwise:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom