• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so i have a acog on the way. i got it in trade and really wasn't in the market for one.

the only ar i have is a 16" pencil barrel a2

now i dont want to mount a acog on a carry handle due to optic hight off the barrel

option 1

buy a upper and switch out my upper for a flattop 90ish bucks
    buy a wrench 20ish bucks (i could use one anyways)
    sell my existing upper

option 2

buy a complete upper 16-20inch with a flattop and no bcg and just switch them back and forth. i use my ar in the tractor (full of dust) and wont put a acog in the dust. just switch the uppers and bcg.

option 3

buy upper/bcg and only switch the upper

option 4

build a whole new ar to fit the optic i really didn't need but wanted to try

if i go option one ill either carry a diffrent rifle in the tractor or buy a quick detach mount and backup sights. i like my ar as a tractor rifle because its got a colaposible stock and can be short and swing around easily and extended when im ready to shoot.

problem is i dont want to dumb alot of money into another ar when i could dump the money into long range equipment

what says ingo

kricket37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I vote 4 and I say you build it. I just built my first AR and it was a lot of fun. Might see if INGO is having another build party anytime soon. Awesome time!!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just curious, is there a reason for the ar in the tractor instead of a handgun?

when you are in a tractor (mainly disking/plowing) coyotes will follow the tractor about 50-75yds back to eat the mice you churn up. a handgun (with me shooting) wont reach them.

update i went with option 2 and bought a 20 inch buckmaster hbar. this is nessessarly a good thing because in a month or 2 i will say "im getting alot of wear on my bcg i better buy a new spare" a month or 2 after that ill say " switching these uppers takes 10-15 seconds. i better buy parts and build a seperate lower"

im a sick man.

glockman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indy
    when you are in a tractor (mainly disking/plowing) coyotes will follow the tractor about 50-75yds back to eat the mice you churn up. a handgun (with me shooting) wont reach them.

update i went with option 2 and bought a 20 inch buckmaster hbar. this is nessessarly a good thing because in a month or 2 i will say "im getting alot of wear on my bcg i better buy a new spare" a month or 2 after that ill say " switching these uppers takes 10-15 seconds. i better buy parts and build a seperate lower"

im a sick man.

That's what I thought but wasn't sure.:ar15:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    yeah whats wrong with using an ACOG in the dust. They are tested to handle a lot more than just dust. I would use that ACOG on my AR no matter where the gun was going to go or what i was going to use it for.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I don't think having an ACOG in the dust will bother it much. :D

yeah whats wrong with using an ACOG in the dust. They are tested to handle a lot more than just dust. I would use that ACOG on my AR no matter where the gun was going to go or what i was going to use it for.

thats what ive heard. for me putting a scope like that through that much abuse (i know they have had much worse) is like nails on a chalk board. plus my new barrel is 4 inches longer so would not be as swingable

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    you left out one option...send the upper to JD Jones and have him shave it. You get to keep the great fixed sights and have the convenience of a flattop all in one upper.

cav2.jpg

cav1.jpg

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Any time you come up with an excuse to buy a new firearm, you take it.

I vote 4.:D

Option number 1 doesn't sound bad either though.

I can almost guarantee you once you use the ACOG, it will be your goto optic when hitting the range; they are just that awesome.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I vote 4 also..... since when can you have to many guns...:patriot: I say just get ya a flat top and build ya another as the parts come along or just buy em new if money is not object. I am in the process of piecing together another.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    NICE delimma....what happened to the night vision scope. did u put it on your ar? or did you already get rid of it?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    you left out one option...send the upper to JD Jones and have him shave it. You get to keep the great fixed sights and have the convenience of a flattop all in one upper.

well dag-gum! I have never seen a modification like that...but that is a pretty neat and different idea. NOW i dont think i could ever have that done to one of my uppers, but nontheless its different

Top Bottom