• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mitchmoore1989

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Mooresville
    im looking to get a small carry revolver (j frame) or similar. im on kind of a tight budget but i could justify putting a few extra bucks out for a better gun. any suggestions?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Ruger LCR... I bought one a few months ago and I love it! Check it out on their website. Very lightweight, and surprisingly comfortable to shoot with a sweet trigger to boot. That'll probably run you a little under 4 bills NIB

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    It's really hard to beat a Taurus on price and they make a good gun. Just me but I would go with a 357 and download with 38's I had one of the Taurus 605's ported which is just a little bigger than the 85, It shot great and was pretty manageable even with full house 357 loads.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I was wary at first, but after spending some time behind the Ruger LCR, I have to say that Ruger hit a Grand Slam with this revolver. The accuracy of this snubbie is outstanding when you learn to stage the trigger, and I could never say that about the J-frame Smiths. I bought one for my wife for $390 from Granger Guns, and now I'll be buying another for me!

The goods:
    • Low-price (compared to S&W J-frames)
    • Super lightweight
    • Best small-frame trigger out of the box
    • Corrosion-proof black synergistic (e-nickel Teflon) aluminum & polymer construction
    • Hogue “Tamer” grip - Recoil reducing grip and frame inserts
    • Smallest cylinder radius of any J-frame sized handgun
    • Titanium cylinder locking components

Last edited:

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    At the gun shop I used to work at we had a alot of Taurus revolvers returned due the issues with there cylinders, extractor rod and cranes. I sold a lot of revolvers there in all sizes and also got alot of trigger time with various models on our range.
    I have my S&W 642 in a pocket holster on me right now. It's a great BUG but the sights suck. LG-405 grips do help but are expensive. CDNN had a sale last year on 642's for $319. If you can swing it buy a S&W 340PD with the stainless cylinder. It weighs about 13 ounces and though chambered in 357 the Speer Gold dot 135gr +p short barrel load or it's equivlant would be all I would carry in it. The 340 PD has the XS big dot front sight which is immensly better than the 642's ramp sight.
    There is another J frame I like but not for pocket carry. It is the 640, at 25 ounces it's 10 ounces heavier than the 642 and the extra weight eats up more recoil. It is chambered in 357 but again I prefer the Speer Gold Dot 38 +p short barrel load.
    There are two Ruger revolvers that I like for carry. Again too heavy for pocket carry. One would be a spurless SP-101 357/38 with 2.25" barrel or a 3.16" approx barrel. It's an extremely robust beast but it's trigger isn't as good as the S&W's. A older revolver that can be had fairly cheap is the Ruger Speed Six with 3" barrel. It is a larger frame with a 6 shot cylinder but still conceals well. My father In law has one that shoots like a dream.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    +2 on the Ruger SP101. Sold mine awhile back and have been kicking myself ever since. Ruger's new LCR should be given some very serious consideration as well.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I sometimes carry a taurus 85UL in a comp-tac pro undercover kydex holster and it is very comfortable and i usually dont notice it at all throughout the day.

Top Bottom