• ...and so much more!
  • bianjd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Hobart
    Hello,
    I am new here and recently just bought my first hand gun and wanted to see what you guys thought was good ammo for home defense and range ammo. Price is not a big concern but a factor for range ammo and it is a fnh 9mm handgun

thanks
    Jeremiah

bianjd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Hobart
    have to check it out just picked up a couple of boxes from cabellas when i got my hand gun any suggestions on bulk purchases of ammo?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Best price I've found is the federal. Local Walmart sells 100rds for $20 and that's in 9mm. The .45 is also relatively priced but going to try to start reloading so won't pay a whole lot of attention to retail prices.

Carry ammo I prefer is Speer Gold Dot.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For target and practice, I use Federal and Winchester, because I can get them at Wal-Mart.

For home defense, self-defense, in my carry guns, I have been using the Hornaday Critical Defense.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Federal or WWB from Walmart.

Ditto. I've used the Remington UMC a few times, but the only two times my handgun has ever failed to lock back when the magazine was empty was with UMC. I wouldn't even consider that a huge issue for the range so if you can find those 250 packs of UMC for a decent deal, go with those too.

You can go cheaper and use Blazer and Tula Ammo, but both do not use brass casings. Some ranges won't allow non-brass ammo, the Tula isn't made in the USA (don't remember Blazer), and while I personally have had no reliability issues with that lower-end ammunition, I know people who have.

The best bet is to buy a small box of the brands you see at a store you like. Try each at the range and take note if anything bad happens. Same goes for the defensive ammo.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I typically use WWB, or Tula in my glock. Every time I go to pick up some federal, they are out.

Remington UMC is VERY DIRTY! I have had issues with it loading also...

bianjd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Hobart
    thanks for all your input I will check some diff. kinds out and see what i like. I am going shooting this weekend

hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    Tula is the lowest price I've seen for 9mm, but be prepared to clean your gun for a long time after using it. I've never had any issues with this ammo other than that. Wal Mart is a great place to pick it up if they have it in stock.

Top Bottom