• ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Who makes a good ax for under a hundred bucks? Do I really need to go the cu$tom route or is there good steel "on the rack"? I figure I can go with any 'ole maul, but a nice ax would be nice. Edge retention, chip resistant, etc.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    gransfor bruks makes the best axes, but if you wanna go for another very well made axe for less money wetterlings axe are pretty top notch also. both made in sweeden and come razor sharp. if you look around at lowes i think they carry the husqvarna axe and they are made by wetterlings.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You sure are knowledgeable about a lot of things! We need to meet, see if you like me enough to impart some knowledge. . .:D

Thanks for the info, I'll start looking around.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Gransfors Bruks in Noblesville

They have them in stock out east of Noblesville at Log Home Center and Supply and Nurpu outdoors. It's four miles east of 37 out on 38. I looked at the axes last time I was out there and was very impressed. I thought my estwing was nice until I looked at those.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I went to Noblesville today; those are some nice axes! Great selection for a hole in the wall place too. Out of my price range, though. . .:(

I'll be looking for some Wetterlings in the future. The fellow at the shop also gave me the name of Carr Brothers to look into.

EDIT: I must have mis-heard him, I can't seem to find any info on "Carr Brothers axes". . .

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    tryin what were the prices like you if you don't mind me asking, i am looking for anther 19 incher if he can compete with the online prices.

i am not sure of any local place that carry the wetterlings but if you have a amazon account you can try the upgraded version free and get over night shipping for like 3 bucks. :)

i am game to meet up sometime for sure.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    IIRC, the american feller was 179, the swedish forest axe was 129, the small forest axe was 119. They had several models of hatchet/camp axes as well, the most expensive was 179, I think. Had some splitters, a broad axe, a throwing model. . . About everything in the catalog, actually.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No need to apologize, I figured they would be high, but if a place sells axes like that, they can probably tell me about axes, right? I was not disappointed. He did say that if I got into using them on a regular basis I would be back. . .:D

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Might take a look at Snow & Nealley axes...I think they are priced below GB but they are still pretty well done. Not sure what might sounds like "Carr Brothers". Council is the only other high end brand I've ever fooled with apart from the above.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Found More

Thank you all for the common interest, what you have indicated towards
    VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE. I am sorry, that my homepages are still only in finnish language. I am working hard to get them translated in english, as well.
    As I have mentioned before somewhere on these pages, this invention ,VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE, has waited for four million years before it "came to daylight" a few years ago. I expect to get my homepages to be ready for you in your native language very soon. On the same connection there will be the possibility to pay with Visa- or Master cards. This all will take some time but comparing it to the era of four million years, this will be ready in no time.
    The price in FINLAND is 199 euros. This includes the sales tax/VAT. (22%)
    There is a chanse to send it without the tax, but then you must pay your own salestax. The per cent (%) varies based to the state you live in. Maybe there is some customs fee, as well. The freight by post will be fourty euros . (40e) So, alltogether the price will be 210 euros + your own official fees . (customs + salestax)
    The delivery time is 16-21 days.
    If you send me a bank check (not private) then the price will be an extra 15 euros. This is the bank comission.
    There is some english writing on my homepages. You can find it under the flag of England.(intructions for use)
    Based to the global situation that fluctuates all the time, the prices can chanse, as well.
    Best regards from FINLAND
    www.vipukirves.fi

In 2007 260.67 US dollars

Top Bottom