• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Anybody on here ever prospected in brown co? I have seen on shows on the outdoor channel and the internet that there may be some gold bearing areas there. I have always wanted to try it and with the price of gold going through the roof, finding a half ounced size nugget would be a thrill! I know that's wishful thinkin' but I would be happy with a little "picker" just to say I found it in Indiana!:)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Anybody on here ever prospected in brown co? I have seen on shows on the outdoor channel and the internet that there may be some gold bearing areas there. I have always wanted to try it and with the price of gold going through the roof, finding a half ounced size nugget would be a thrill! I know that's wishful thinkin' but I would be happy with a little "picker" just to say I found it in Indiana!:)

There's at least one thread on here about it. I'll try and find the link. From what I gather gold is not natural in Indiana. What we have was deposited by glaciers. I'm planning to take my daughter this summer and do it for fun and hopefully find a little gold. From what I've read it won't be much but very small flakes. A half ounce gold nugget will be a rarity.

Don't get me wrong...to find any gold would be a lot of fun...especially for children.

Here is the link.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/23251-indiana_gold_prospecting.html

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yes, you can find gold in indiana. i have done it. very fun, takes hours to find much of anything, but its here. best to study old maps and look for ancient creeks based on the way the land has formed. Im no expert but this is what ive been told by afew who are. its a blast though and you should try it. i got to use a dredge one time and it was bad ass!

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I tried it once and was bored out of my mind. As an inexpensive way to keep children entertained, it may not be a bad idea though. I think Cabela's had kits you could purchase online (only) for panning for gold. I went out with some cheap bowls, got frustrated, and went hiking with my family for about 5 miles.

Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Like Spear stated, gold is not natural to the state. It was carried here during the last ice age from advancing glaciers. Indiana does not have any history volcanic activity. We also do not have a natural area for gem stones. What we do have is limestone, sandstone and calcite. Fossils like them.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Like Spear stated, gold is not natural to the state. It was carried here during the last ice age from advancing glaciers. Indiana does not have any history volcanic activity. We also do not have a natural area for gem stones. What we do have is limestone, sandstone and calcite. Fossils like them.

And some people question why they should bother to learn geology...

Gold flake is also found in SOME of the Pennsylvanian sandstone formations, particularly ones like the Mansfield. Any sandstone formation that contains quartz pebbles also has the possibility of gold flake, and the the places to look for those are going to be downstream of washes where the formation is above the wash and the flake can concentrate in places in the wash.

As far as prospecting in Indiana, it's a pasttime, but you will NEVER make enough money to pay even a basic hourly wage, even in the richest areas. You can make more money picking up aluminum cans beside the road than you can make prospecting in Indiana. If you are EXTREMELY lucky you might find a small nugget in glacial sediments in the northern part of the state, but even then it's not going to be worth enough to pay for your gas to look for it.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I would say to skip panning for gold in that area. Unless you are just trying to find something cheap to keep the kids entertained. The problem is that unless that area gives you flakes at least 50% of the time, I would think even kids would eventually get board in short order.

I did the pan for gold thing at a road side attraction in Cherokee, NC, Smokey Mountain Gold and Ruby Mine. It was actually really fun. It didn't cost that much, and they put a decent amount of gold flakes in the bucket. For younger kids, the panning for gems is easier. They actually have a gem panning thing in the village area in Nashville, though I don't know the cost.

Muzzleloaderbill

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Ligonier
    You won't get rich but,

Try Salt Creek at Gatesville store. You can prospect in the creek behind the store. Nice lady that runs the store. Camping for $5 a night. Been there a couple of times. Have found a little gold.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Try Salt Creek at Gatesville store. You can prospect in the creek behind the store. Nice lady that runs the store. Camping for $5 a night. Been there a couple of times. Have found a little gold.

theres a group that has meetings there. its a blast!
    the store has everything you need and you can rent it too.
    I HAVE found gold there (very small flakes), but pickers have been found there by others.

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I lived in alaska when i was stationed there in airforce tried panning and only ever found flakes and frozen fingers I did try here in 2003 but soon found out in parts of indiana the property line runs to the center most of the water way be a stream or creek river u have to have the property owners permission or be ready for a ordeal luckly i had a older gentlemen who hastled me for a few mins and seen me and kids haven a good time and said just split it with him if we hit it big never found gold but made a great memory

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Panning is something I have never tried but always wanted to do. I would really like to get over to Brown County this summer and give it a shot. Maybe some of us that are interested in trying it could get together down there.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom