• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDream9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Avon
    OK guys I need some info here if anyone knows the law in this case.

I'm traveling to Joliet Ill. tomorrow and I did not know if I can have my handgun locked in the trunk in Ill or not. I have not had time to check the Illinois handgun laws online so I'm looking for some help. I know that some states are Indiana permit friendly but I'm pretty sure Ill is not.

Anyone have any accurate info on this.

Thanks

Randy

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    You can have it locked in a case in the trunk unloaded for your travel through illinois.

It's not meant to be driven around though....just for you to pass through the state.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    according to usacarry.com illinois does not recognize your permit. i dont think they recognize any permits actually. sorry bout your luck man i hate to go out of state without my buddy.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Say hello to Jake if you see him.

joliet-jake.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    As he is not traveling through the state, but simply going over the state line and then returning, I don't know that the interstate transport rules would apply.

However the ILLINOIS LAWS would apply and, contrary to most misinformation, Illinois is actually a pretty easy state in which to comply with their transport laws.

Unload the gun. Put the gun in your glovebox, put the loaded magazine into the glovebox NEXT TO, but NOT inside the gun. Close the glovebox. You are now legal. You can also transport unloaded in a gun box, gun case, gun pouch, etc. If it is in the trunk it should be in a box, case, pouch, etc. The magazine can be loaded, but it can NOT be inside the gun. Chamber must ALWAYS be empty.

Court Case information => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rt_allows_nonresidents_to_transport_guns.html

Thread where it clearly shows the legality of traveling inside IL with a gun => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...gotta_go_to_communist_occupied_il_friday.html

Actual court ruling in Illinois => http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    (720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
    Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.

(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
    (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed

on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
    (i) are broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    (ii) are not immediately accessible; or
    (iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case,

firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card; or
    (5) Sets a spring gun; or
    (6) Possesses any device or attachment of any kind

I have family in Illinois and when I go to visit i put a lock box in the trunk and before I cross state line I field strip my pistol and unload the mags and place all parts and magazines in the lock box (lock box is then locked) in the trunk and store the ammo in the glove box. I personally do not want to give officer friendly in Illinois of all places any reason to think that I am violating the law.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have family in Illinois and when I go to visit i put a lock box in the trunk and before I cross state line I field strip my pistol and unload the mags and place all parts and magazines in the lock box (lock box is then locked) in the trunk and store the ammo in the glove box. I personally do not want to give officer friendly in Illinois of all places any reason to think that I am violating the law.

You do NOT need to field strip the gun. Look at the links I provided above, they have court rulings in Illinois, links to Illinois State Police, etc. I live on the state line and am in Illinois every day with a gun.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Yea, Il is a definite no. some city's and towns in Il have banned handguns all together, even if your an Il resident with an FOID card. the problem is you never know if your passing through a town with one of these gun free zone provisions, such as Peoria

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yea, Il is a definite no. some city's and towns in Il have banned handguns all together, even if your an Il resident with an FOID card. the problem is you never know if your passing through a town with one of these gun free zone provisions, such as Peoria

This is UNTRUE. Absolutely ZERO cities/towns in Illinois have bans on handguns. You may travel through the state under federal protection if you comply with the federal laws. (ammo in a box, gun unloaded in a box, gun and ammo in your trunk). You ay also travel within Illinois under Illinois laws, if you have a FOID or an Indiana LTCH if you follow the Illinois laws.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    Case carry is about it. Ammunition and gun can be in the same case but the gun must be unloaded. Depending on who stops and where they may give you a hard time, but if you don't give them a reason to pull you over and search it's for the best.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    This is UNTRUE. Absolutely ZERO cities/towns in Illinois have bans on handguns. You may travel through the state under federal protection if you comply with the federal laws. (ammo in a box, gun unloaded in a box, gun and ammo in your trunk). You ay also travel within Illinois under Illinois laws, if you have a FOID or an Indiana LTCH if you follow the Illinois laws.

I guess I stand corrected, sorry for the misinformation. I remember before traveling through Illinois a while back some research lead to information that peora had a ban on firearms.

Top Bottom