AM_Nfxa Z28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Used $780
    New $950
    *In my local store*---decent?

This will be my first gun and I have decided on the SIG P226 .40 Platinum Elite for Sig Sauer's great reputation by everyone I've talked to and absolutely everything I've read. I recently fired a S&W .357 revolver--liked it-- and held the P226 in the store--liked that very much, better ergonomics than anything else I've handled-- and with the information I have I think that I will be very happy with this pistol in the long run no? I originaly was going in to look at a Glock 29...

Also, new vs used? Are there problems that may arise with a used pistol that would make it worth spending the extra $180 for the mint one? What things should I look for on a used gun and what on points should I try to negotiate the price?

Will be in the market for a rosewood or cherry grip after purchase :flamethrower: :starwars:

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Are you saying that you found a SIG P226 Platinum Elite both a new one $950 and a used one for $780?
    A New SIG P226 .40 Platinum Elite for $950 and a used plain jane P226 for $780?
    A used SIG P226 .40 Platinum Elite for $780 and a new plain jane P226 for $950?

Since it is your "first gun", you would probably feel better knowing that you bought a brand new gun where all the scuffs and dings were done by you.

1LuvGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    Find a used Sig 226 Elite - they come with rosewood grips. The platinum elite just has more bling. Both have the SRT (short reset trigger). As for a S&W wheelgun, I'd find an older one that doesn't have the infernal lock on it - but that's just my opinion..

AM_Nfxa Z28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    I believe it is a CPO, I will have to ask on friday. And, yes, there is a brand new .357 Plat in a separate case-$950- that I didnt see the first day I went in and it was originaly a (used) two-tone Elite w/ rosewood grip that caught my eye but the used Plat is in .40 and is $80 cheaper still ($780 vs. $850). Besides the stainless slide has grown on me and I even like the idea of having the option to use the alum. grip sometimes.....

I would like the feeling of owning something brand new but I just priced a ratchet shifter for my car and it looks to be about $185 so.... In any case are these premium prices? If I walk in with cash up front am I more likely to get a deal than if I were to put it on layaway? What problems am I bound to have with a used gun?

Eulogy32

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Carmel, Indiana
    First, it's a Sig, so problems will be minimal. Second, they are high end Sigs, so they were probably safe queens.

My p226 Elite in .40 gets babied far more than my other guns, though it is far from a safe queen. You will be very happy with your purchase either way :)

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    A SIG is a quality gun and I would have no reservations in buying a used one that appears to have been well maintained. I have bought several used SIGs and several new SIGs and, you know what? They all seem to shoot the same.

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    I have a 9mm P226 Elite; while it never gets carried, it does have a couple thousand rounds through it, and I'm a little disappointed that it still looks like it has been stuffed in the back of my safe. It has been flawless, but it needs an idiot scratch or something to give it some character.

AM_Nfxa Z28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Haha ya character is what its about lol..... Ya im probly gonna get the used .40 on account of being a smarter buy and already having a personality. ill pocket the $180 and get a holster and see about that wood grip and a nickel trigger, maybe a mag or two.....

Top Bottom