Going on a trip without a Firearm SUCKS!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Houdinih

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    In a Van Down By The River
    I'm planning a trip to Iowa in a few weeks, so I called the Iowa State Police to find out what the details of their firearm laws. I was informed that unless I am just passing through I have to come unarmed! That is total BS. They were friendly and informed me that they did have a law coming into effect in January, where they will observe all 50 states permits. I guess im 4 month early, and I'll have to bring a knife. I still can't get over the fact that each state can pick what amendments they want to observe...UNITED STATES of America. :patriot: :rolleyes::xmad:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Don't ask Don't tell....

Also I have been known to have an AR15 Carbine or 870 Riot gun in my trunk.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I'm driving to CO in August, I can carry there, except Illinois.

I'm going to bring an AR and 870 wingmaster as we plan to shoot when we get there.

When I'm in IL, I'll have my RAT HEST on my leg.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Don't ask Don't tell....

Also I have been known to have an AR15 Carbine or 870 Riot gun in my trunk.

:noway:

He would be breaking OH law if he is caught! This is bad advise for you to be giving out. :faint:

BTW I did find the answer on the UT non-resident permit. If you had that you would be good to go in OH. See here:
    CCW USA

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    :noway:

He would be breaking OH law if he is caught! This is bad advise for you to be giving out. :faint:

BTW I did find the answer on the UT non-resident permit. If you had that you would be good to go in OH. See here:
    CCW USA

I didn't "advise" him to do anything, just posted one of the Government's catch phrases. I would never want someone to do something illegal. As for your "smiley", well, better not say.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You can't carry there, but you can still take a firearm to keep in your dwelling while you stay there...

There is a thread about this on here somewhere. A guy got busted while staying in a motel in Ma, I believe, with his legally owned guns and working out of state.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I didn't "advise" him to do anything, just posted one of the Government's catch phrases. I would never want someone to do something illegal. As for your "smiley", well, better not say.

Actually in re-reading your post I failed to think of the long guns. My line of thinking was you were telling him to take the handgun and just "dont' ask, don't tell". Yes I know it's a gov phrase for the army same sex issue.

The second part about the long guns did not even register in my mind as a possible solution to his issue. Not sure if you can or can't take a long gun to OH and be OK.

Sorry about the confusion.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    There is a thread about this on here somewhere. A guy got busted while staying in a motel in Ma, I believe, with his legally owned guns and working out of state.

This one:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...harged_after_gun_found_in_his_hotel_room.html

In that case the IN guy has a valid IN LTCH but again in MA our IN LTCH is not valid so he was charged with having an "illegal gun" (not sure what the real charge was) since he does not have a valid permit/license from the state of MA. (He needed to have an non-resident MA permit for his firearm). Another case of a victimless crime. :faint:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    This one:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...harged_after_gun_found_in_his_hotel_room.html

In that case the IN guy has a valid IN LTCH but again in MA our IN LTCH is not valid so he was charged with having an "illegal gun" (not sure what the real charge was) since he does not have a valid permit/license from the state of MA. (He needed to have an non-resident MA permit for his firearm). Another case of a victimless crime. :faint:

The poor sap arrested is the victim for having his rights violated. It amazes me that the most restrictive, rights abusing States are some of the original homes of our Founding Fathers. :scratch:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Iowa does not have any law, to my knowledge, that criminalizes possession of a cased, unloaded firearm by a lawful possessor.

olzkool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2010
    Any time I go on a trip I have to look at all the states in my path and ck my permits to make sure they have reciprocity. Thats why I have ccw permits in 3 different states, to cover more total states.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Any time I go on a trip I have to look at all the states in my path and ck my permits to make sure they have reciprocity. Thats why I have ccw permits in 3 different states, to cover more total states.
    My life is a trip as an owner operator/long haul. I use these two resources and am confident in them.
    Handgunlaw.usThis one has linked reciprocity maps and the state laws.
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!This one covers some other things that come in handy.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    You guys must have alot of money for these things, I was doing good to get my In LTCH!!

Top Bottom