Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This is pretty cool.

Windows GodMode: A Folder That Does Everything

Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode' | Beyond Binary - CNET News

C Net:
    "By creating a new folder in Windows 7 and renaming it with a certain text string at the end, users are able to have a single place to do everything from changing the look of the mouse pointer to making a new hard-drive partition.

The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista, it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options. I'm not sure it's my idea of playing God, but it is a handy way to get to all kinds of controls.

I've asked Microsoft for more details on the feature and how it came to be. But so far, Redmond is silent on the topic. "

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    upon closer review....

I've found that about 95-99% of all those settings are already accessible through current available settings in the control panel, IE, and folder options. There may only be 3-4 settings that I found that I wouldn't know where to look to find them, but this is my final assessment:

Godmode is just a control panel that lays out all the settings for your computer in one nice organize folder instead of searching here there and everywhere for a specific setting to change.

It's a nice convenience, but I was really hoping for a way to really tweak and personalize windows.

On a side note, this DOES NOT work in XP. It comes up saying it cannot find the appropriate program to run the file even though it's a folder. Maybe there's something in XP like this after all. :dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sorry SE there is nothing like it in XP.
    & you are correct it's just a single window/panel that has ALL the controls for Win7 in one place. You can as you stated find them all on other various windows/tabs/etc. This just make it easier to pick and choose what you want.

Top Bottom