• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malachi_s

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    North Central Indian
    I am a new Glock owner and I have a question for the more experienced Glock owners. Recently, while viewing a show called Tactical Response on the Sportsman channel and guy named Vickers, who seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to firearms had a special segment that had to do with keeping a Glock magazine short one round for magazine longevity and increased reliability. I also own a M&P and I do not think this is case with S&W or Ruger from what I understand but being new to the Glock I am asking for others opinions. If anyone has heard of this or has a opinion other than this I would certainly like to hear it. Thanks for any replies,
    Charlie

Edit: The name of the show is Tactical Arms not Tactical Resonse, I got yeager confused with the Vickers guy, sorry. Anyway, I am still curious

Last edited:

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    I would only consider that for long term storage, maybe Larry is on to something... I've never had an error with either of my fully loaded glocks.

SCriswell

Plinker
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If the spring is real tight when all the way loaded, leave one out. If the mag rattles with one shy load it all the way. Never overload the mags. You can find glock mags that will overload, but don't.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I wouldn't worry much about it.

I have a couple of 1911 magazines that have been in the family and in use since at least the late 1920s or early 1930s. Possibly a bit older than that.

They still function very well.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have a first Gen G17, original 17 round mags, always fully loaded except when cleaning, no problems so far. Have read where some people will leave any mag one short for storage just not to put extra pressure on the springs. Springs being springs they will eventually fail no matter how well they are made. No matter what brand, stuff just wears and fails, the nature of stuff.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I wish this myth would die. It is a myth and nothing more. I was a armorer in the Army, I was never taught in school to down load 1 round in a mag. It is a silly myth. If it is a 15 rnd mag, it gets 15rnds and so on.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    While it does make sense to do this in the AR platform, downloading from 30 rounds down to 28, I don't see how it would be smart to download from 17 rounds (G17) down to 16.

Pistol calibers suck, and I'd like all the ammo I can get. That last shot might be the one that saves my life.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    While it does make sense to do this in the AR platform, downloading from 30 rounds down to 28, I don't see how it would be smart to download from 17 rounds (G17) down to 16.

Pistol calibers suck, and I'd like all the ammo I can get. That last shot might be the one that saves my life.

Do you buy the special 28rnd AR mags? I buy 30 rnd mags, 30 fit in them, 30 feed out of them. Down loading an AR mag does not make sense. Downloading any mag does not make sense.

To each their own, I guess.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do most carry with a full mag and +1 ? While I believe a good quality mag can be fully loaded, I tend to always be down (1) round due to having one in the chamber.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Do you buy the special 28rnd AR mags? I buy 30 rnd mags, 30 fit in them, 30 feed out of them. Down loading an AR mag does not make sense. Downloading any mag does not make sense.

I think you have a good real world perspective of mags used for their intended use - 30 rd mags are made to hold 30rds reliablely.

I think the difference (and maybe the root of the "myth") is that your average non-leo and non-military AR, Glock, AK, etc. owner/operator is most likely to store his mags for a long time in a loaded condition, ready for the next trip to the range, or for the "Just in Case" situation.

Mags stored fully loaded will impart more stress on the feedlips and spring than one downloaded 1 or 2 less than full capacity. That difference is likely to be somewhat marginal, but it will be a difference since the force a spring exerts is typically proportional to how far it is compressed (F=k*d, where k is the spring constant and d is the compression distance).

But, I think a slightly better reason for downloading any mag by 1 round is that it makes it easier to install on a closed bolt / action. Typically it takes about 1/2 to 1 round of "Capacity" for a magazine to insert against a closed bolt or action.

Some of the better mags for most weapons will have just a little more ability to compress the spring by about 1/2 of a round so that you can insert on a closed bolt, but not put in that extra round.

But some mags when filled to capacity can be either so stiff, or have the follower all the way against the floor plate, that it would be next to impossible to insert on a closed bolt.

For you AR guys, load up 5 mags to the full capacity, and insert them on a closed bolt, and then repeat with each downloaded by 1. You are likely to find it takes a little less force to insert the mag, and it will engage the mag catch more positively.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County

I think esrice is referring to the fact that it is difficult to seat a fully loaded AR magazine on a closed bolt. It's not impossible, but if you are doing it in a stressful situation, you may not fully seat the magazine, causing it to drop out. In an emergency situation, this would be unacceptable and could cost you your life.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I keep mine fully loaded. I don't think it would make any noticeable difference for a very, very long time and even so, Glock mags are relatively cheap and easy to find so replacing one shouldn't be an issue.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I think esrice is referring to the fact that it is difficult to seat a fully loaded AR magazine on a closed bolt. It's not impossible, but if you are doing it in a stressful situation, you may not fully seat the magazine, causing it to drop out. In an emergency situation, this would be unacceptable and could cost you your life.

That is what practice is for. Train how you fight. I am just saying it is a myth that you need to download any mag. It is not needed. My EDC has a 16rnd mag. I carry it with 16+1. If I need to load my AR, I have a full 30rnd mag, insert it, rack the charging handle, and I am good to go. I never had an issue with it. If it gives you peace of mind, so be it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That is what practice is for. Train how you fight. I am just saying it is a myth that you need to download any mag. It is not needed. My EDC has a 16rnd mag. I carry it with 16+1. If I need to load my AR, I have a full 30rnd mag, insert it, rack the charging handle, and I am good to go. I never had an issue with it. If it gives you peace of mind, so be it.

In a pistol, where the rounds are already small and very ineffective manstoppers, I want all the ammo I can cram into a pistol. One in the chamber, top off the mag and go.

ARs are a different weapon system altogether. They are more effective manstoppers, easier to shoot accurately and quickly, and they hold a lot more ammo. During a reload under stress you want to reliably be able to seat that magazine, even on a closed bolt. People with more experience than I have in these areas have suggested downloading to 28 rounds to facilitate reliable seating-- so I listen.

But I don't JUST listen. I went out and loaded up some mags with 30, and some with 28. In MY gun, that I use to protect MY life, I had some issues with the 30 rounders seating positively every time. Enough so that I now download all my AR mags to 28 rounds.

This is just how I do it. If others run full 30s with success then that is excellent.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The only time I download by 1 is when slamming home a mag on a closed bolt isn't 100% perfect. I see this in AR mags some times. I've found some AR mags more reliable for insert on a closed bolt at 28 or 29 rounds. Never had a problem getting Glock mags in fully loaded.

Jinks esrice, buy me a coke. :)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Holy 1993!! :D

Slug Bug Green... no returns. :D

To the OP:

I think we're all on the same page in that it is less likely to be an issue for the mag and spring if they are of course good quality (which I would consider factory Glock mags to be) and more a matter of training and preference on getting a full mag to seat on a closed bolt.

Top Bottom