• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have a Glock 20 that when I do the ink pen firing test (put a pen in the barrel and shoot it) I only slightly moves the pen. No shooting the pen across the room or anything close.
    Is this right? Is something going on? I took the gun out and shot 5 rounds though it and it shot fine, but could it still have a weak spring or something? Is it going to get worst and stop shooting? Can I trust this as a carry gun still? My other Glocks shoot the pen across the room, but this one doesn't. Should I be concerned?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    When was the last time the slide was detail stripped and cleaned/inspected? How may rounds have been fired through the pistol? If you remove the slide, depress the firing pin block plunger and shake the slide can you hear the firing pin bouncing around in there?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If it is shooting fine I would not worry about it. I've never shot a pencil out of my 19, but have with my 1911's and it worked, but was too much hassle to deal with so I just dry fire away.

You can replace the striker spring if you want, it won't hurt anything and will give you peace of mind.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    When was the last time the slide was detail stripped and cleaned/inspected? How may rounds have been fired through the pistol? If you remove the slide, depress the firing pin block plunger and shake the slide can you hear the firing pin bouncing around in there?

It is very low round count. It still have the factory gold grease in it. I took the firing pin out, but it all look good, new in fact. When I depress the block plunger I can hear the pin bouncing(is this what it's suppose to do?)

It's a Glock 20. I also have a Glock 21 and it shot the ink pen over 5 feet straight up. Can I use parts out of the 21 to trouble shoot the 20 if needed?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Any chance the pen you are using is sitting off to the side of the firing pin and therefore not getting hit well enough to take flight?

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Any chance the pen you are using is sitting off to the side of the firing pin and therefore not getting hit well enough to take flight?

Bingo. I looked at the ink pens I was using and notice that the centers were gone out of them. I think the 10mm barrel being smaller let the hollow centers rest right over the firing pin.

When I did the same test with a couple of other Glocks I have both being 45 there is more room in the barrel allowing the pens to sit more towards the edge and the hollow centers were not over the pins giving them a good solid hit and shooting the ink pens out.
    At least that's what I think happen. Because when I took the gun in question and used a solid pencil it shoot the pencil out of the barrel. :):)

Thanks so much this was driving me crazy. I was read to order parts for it and redo the whole thing.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I made my own gauge to check the firing pin strike. Nylon rod turned down to fit 9MM at one end and 45 on the other. Put a little lead tape in the middle and marked the rod with a pistol that I knew had factory striker spring and completely clean. Also marked for what normal would be with the reduced power firing pin spring installed. Works great and gives me a quick "visual" of what is going on when I'm trouble shooting a problem.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    Just one more reason I like this group! I didn't know about the pen test. Now, I'm sitting here shooting bics all over the room. :D This should keep me occupied for days. :ar15:

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    As a guy who just recently installed a new striker spring on my G19, I can say it's not overly difficult. I ended up having to get a little crafty to do it, but it worked in the end!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I've always used a pencil with a soft eraser. Not that a plastic pen would hurt the firing pen, but with the bounce of the eraser it will launch the pencil clear out.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I've always used a pencil with a soft eraser. Not that a plastic pen would hurt the firing pen, but with the bounce of the eraser it will launch the pencil clear out.

...oh ...it's not supposed to be loaded first??? :dunno: Sure, now you tell me! Never knew a pencil could go through drywall!* :D

*No AD's were experienced prior, during, or after the making of this post.

Top Bottom