Glock experts: what epoxy would you use to fill a hole on a Glock frame?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hi everyone,

What I need to accomplish here is to fill a hole on a Glock frame using epoxy, and make it appear as natural as possible (black colored epoxy when dried, for example). The reason I need to do this, is that I've had a Cominolli manual safety put in my Glock, now I need to take it out. That will leave a hole in the frame. Doesn't really interfere with the operation, but I like to restore it back to "normal" if the cost is no more than a tube of epoxy...

As for why I need to take the manual safety out, I'd write a full review of this experiment when I got time. In short, there's nothing wrong with manual safety. It worked as designed, and functioned 100%. Mr. Cominolli is a very nice person, he even custom made a safety lever for me at no charge after I called him, and shipped to me at his expense. It's my way of gripping the gun that got in the way of the safety lever. Basically, to make it work, one has to shoot with their strong-hand thumb OVER the safety lever, riding that lever, thumb pointing down range. Their left thumb would be alongside, also pointing straight ahead. I saw a lot of 1911 people shoot like that. I can't do it, feels awkward to me. I grip my G23 with my right thumb exactly in the thumb recess that Glock put there on the side of the gun. My left thumb then come on top of that, both pointing kind of downward. In this way my right thumb is UNDER the safety lever. Every time I fire, my right thumb would push up on the lever, by the recoil. And that locks up the gun...

Thanks! :)

Here's a pic of my Glock with the safety on:

1-1.jpg

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    strange issue. i hope you can figure something out.

when the safety isnt there, does it open it up too much to allow dust inside?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I haven't tried what you're suggesting on a Glock, but I work w/epoxy a fair amount. Epoxys generally do not adhere very well to plastics, and I wouldn't expect it to adhere very well to the Glock's polymer frame.

As a test, you could try depositing a drop of mixed epoxy inside the hole at the bottom-back of the grip behind the mag well (where people like to put "plugs"). Let it cure overnight and see if you can pop it off.

There are things one can do to improve adhesion of epoxy to plastics like roughing the surface to improve mechanical adhesion, and "flame treating" the plastic, but even then I don't know that you'd get the degree of durability that you're looking for.

busted1200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Evansville
    Curious as to why you installed it in the first place? It has a trigger safety, drop safety, and firing pin safety. The gun is not going to go bang unless you pull the trigger. How many more safeties do you need? I'm not trying to be mean or a smart a**, just would like to know the reasoning behind it.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Curious as to why you installed it in the first place? It has a trigger safety, drop safety, and firing pin safety. The gun is not going to go bang unless you pull the trigger. How many more safeties do you need? I'm not trying to be mean or a smart a**, just would like to know the reasoning behind it.

Well, every gun that I handled or heard of, will NOT fire unless something is pulling on the trigger, be it a finger or another object. A manual safety is something that when engaged, the gun will NOT fire even if the trigger is pulled. In this regard, the Glock has NO safety, the 1911 has two, the XD has one, etc. I keep the safety between my ears always on, but there're other things that might enter the trigger guard without my knowledge. When a muzzle is pointing at my body parts 8 hours a day, I'd like the peace of mind a manual safety brings...:patriot:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Sell the gun to someone who wants that "feature", and buy a new one.

I will keep the rest of my comments on that particular "feature" to my self.

(See, even I can be helpfull and yet, not be a **** while doing so.)

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Sell the gun to someone who wants that "feature", and buy a new one.

I will keep the rest of my comments on that particular "feature" to my self.

(See, even I can be helpfull and yet, not be a **** while doing so.)

+1

I was going to say the same thing, but big craig beat me to it... You wouldn't even have to sell it really, just trade with someone who wants the saftey.
    :twocents:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Brownell's makes a product called Glass Bed.You want stock # 081-050-001AC . To make the epoxy stick,you will have to rough up the slick sides created from the mill that removed the polymer frame. A small 'backer' will need to be fashioned(try modeling clay coated with the included release agent) to keep the inside portion where the ejector assembly fits as smooth as possible and close to factory spec.Jam the epoxy into the area desired to be filled/following the orginal contour of the frame.Let set until cured.Carefully sand with 220 grit paper to blend into the frame.Viola!:rockwoot:

Piece o' cake!!!

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'd agree with the recommendation to just post (here on INGO) that you want to swap the gun FTF with someone who wants the manual safety. Link back to this thread so they can get the skinny on why. Should be a pretty straightforward swap and I suspect someone would want it.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I'll second the JB Weld. It is a very good product. I fixed a leak on a cracked air compressor tank a couple of years ago. Still holding.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks a lot to all the comments above! I checked website of ITW Devcon, and they actually mentioned that the Plastic Welder would work on the material Glock use for their frame, "Nylon 6" or "Nylon 6,6". Since the cut does not affect the operation of the gun, I'll take it slow...

I won't get rid of this gun by selling or swapping. It works perfectly from day one, never even stove-piped once, with all the cheap Wally World ammo I fed it. Now I WILL sell the whole safety kit later to recoup some cost (material cost, as the labor I paid the gunsmith is toast now)....

About the replacement frame, I actually called Glock customer service yesterday, just to see if they'd offer any "free" advice. I waited about three minutes before a live person came on the line, better than I thought, and definitely better than Microsoft hotline. The guy laughed out loud when I told him that I needed to fill a hole in my Glock. I told him I didn't put the hole in the gun, but a certified Glock armorer did, to install the safety. He told me first of all, they don't give advice what to use to fill the hole, they don't endorse any third party addon (of course not), they consider any alteration the customer did to the gun as unauthorized (yeah yeah), and they consider the frame had been destroyed. He then said that they do sell the frame for $150 separately, but if I send my frame in, he'd replace it for $43 (pretty good deal, guess I can afford a few KBs in the future, being a 40-caliber Glock mine is). It will be my last resort, if I can't find a sure way to fix that cut, and if that cut annoys me to point that I have to fix it...

So, if any Glock people out there would like to have their frame replaced, you can ask Glock to do it for $43 (I don't think they'd cover your shipping, but I didn't ask them specifically)...

Top Bottom