• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Have any of you guys had accuracy issues with Glocks shooting lead bullets?

I ask because I just cannot get a group out of my G34 that I deem acceptable. Wondering at this point if it is the lead rounds?

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Have any of you guys had accuracy issues with Glocks shooting lead bullets?

I ask because I just cannot get a group out of my G34 that I deem acceptable. Wondering at this point if it is the lead rounds?

Glock Factory barrel? If so good luck with accuracy and also the leading... Search INGO ton of posts around the special riffling Glock Factory barrels use and why to avoid lead rounds...

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Glock Factory barrel? If so good luck with accuracy and also the leading... Search INGO ton of posts around the special riffling Glock Factory barrels use and why to avoid lead rounds...

I understand the leading issue. I have not found it to be a problem in the least and find the warnings way overblown. Looking for someone who has actual knowledge or experience with the accuracy of lead rounds and Glock barrels.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yes, it's probably the lead rounds. Lead and polygonal rifling don't usually mix well. The softer the lead, the worse the performance. Glock specifically recommends against using lead in the manual and elsewhere.

The only lead bullets that have grouped out of a Glock with a factory barrel for me were coated with the bayou bullets acrylic coating and (IIRC) relatively hard cast, made by INGO member Mongo404. They weren't being pushed very fast either.

tws63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    jennings county
    i have a 17-19-26 and 21
    i shoot nothing but lead out of all of them no accuracy problems of any kind.
    thats y i luv my glocks.
    they r mans best friend.
    loyal above and beyond. :)

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    i have a 17-19-26 and 21
    i shoot nothing but lead out of all of them no accuracy problems of any kind.
    thats y i luv my glocks.
    they r mans best friend.
    loyal above and beyond. :)

Interesting. Maybe it's my load. I will try some plated vs lead tonight and post results. Thanks guys.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    What load are yo using?
    I shoot lead thru my glocks all the time.
    Make sure your lead is hard and dont push them really fast.
    4.3 gr of green dot is the load for 9mm,40 and 45 acp.
    Thats a sweet shooting target load that many of us shoot in comp.
    And dont believe that BS about you cant shoot lead thru a glock, PURE B@ll SH@@

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I use lead through my glocks all the time, zero function or accuracy issues. I buy them from a friend who reloads specific ammo for his glocks. They're 124-125g bullets, loaded somewhat hot. At IDPA/USPSA shoots I run FMJ the last stage to clean out the leading. Or, at least, help clean it out. When I get home I scrub the crap out of the barrel. The only time I ran into a major leading issue is when I ran the same loads through my Walther PPQ. It began tumbling the rounds after the first stage.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Have been loading lead in Glocks for years. While minimal issues, I've had to spend 500+ rounds per gun developing a lead load that would not lead and was reasonably accurate.

Despite common belief, you won't blow off your hand, even loading lead .40 in a G22, but you have to know what you are doing. New to shooting? New to handloading? DONT attempt that task then. Believe me, you are better off not doing lead in a Glock if you are one of the new handloaders that ran out and bought stuff to load ammo b/c they couldn't find any during the panic.

Now that I have that unpleasantness out of the way: 25 yards, benched, lead didn't hold a candle to jacketed handloads in my tests. About 2x group sizes. That being said, for closer distances or defensive practice, the marginal loss in accuracy didn't worry me a single bit.

The aftermarket barrels are really good insurance...

ddb40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Brazil
    Hello T4. I don't post often, but I do read many postings and I felt a need to respond on yours.

Long before Glock existed I was reloading with Green Dot and found the sweet points, limitations, and problems it provided in both the OLD and NEW Powder Versions. I have used it as a comparison standard for over 40 years against many other powders searching for something better (just as accurate or more so, as cheap or cheaper, and no dirtier). There are some powders cleaner, but they are NOT as accurate or as cheap. I have tested Green Dot extensively through many calibers (32ACP, 380, 9, 38/357, 40, 41, 44, 45 Auto, & 45LC) using a wide assortment of Break Opens, Single Actions, DA Revolvers, and semi-autos. At specific charge weighs it works GREAT in all those caliber / gun / projectile/ combinations. Bullet weights (lead, plated, or jacketed) have ranged from 75gr to 300gr.

OLD Green Dot was dirtier than the new version, but its shooting characteristics did not change. Green Dot is suitable for mid range powered ammo, but it is NOT the powder you want for maximum loads. Green Dot smokes some compared to newer powders. Green Dot accuracy is VERY dependent on the powder charge weight, but extremely forgiving concerning the projectile (weight, composition, shape, or caliber). A variance of 1 or 2 TENTHS of a grain has a HUGE effect on shot placement accuracy. The group size can double in just 2 or 3 tenths of a grain above or below those sweet points. A consistent powder thrower accurately adjusted is required for success with Green Dot. Green Dot does NOT function well when compressed and will show pressure signs, so AVOID full case loads. It has very specific sweet points where accuracy is unmatched. Those accurate powder charge weights are;

The 4.3 charge weight will work in 9mm and larger cases. In 9mm you need to use a 115 / 124 grain bullet with a short bearing surface to avoid compression. The lighter charge weights generally fail to cycle 9 mm & larger semi autos.

Leading is primarily caused by bullet base melting from the flame of the powder charge. The softer the bullet the easier the lead melts. The harder the bullet or covering the base (a gas check, a jacket, plating, etc) the less it leads. 4.3gr of Green Dot is NOT a long burning hot flame charge and does NOT lead the barrel excessively with hard cast bullets. Over the years I have seen no difference in the Green Dot / cast bullet leading of conventional versus polygonal rifling.

If you want power loads in your pistol - Green Dot fails. if you want a lot of pistol ammo for accurate practice - Green Dot is GREAT.

What is my basis for that statement? .... I've been shooting since the 50s, reloading / teaching since the 60's, owning / operating gun ranges since the 70's. I have fired or been present (with students) for the firing of well over a million rounds (mostly lead projectiles). A huge number of those shots were Green Dot and easily 25% of them went through GLOCKS.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom