• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Has anyone here had a chance to compare the .50 GI Glock conversion to a Desert Eagle in any caliber?? I'm interested in the diff in recoil. Thanks. Pat.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Per Wikipedia(sorry, it's just quick)
    For .50GI
    Ballistics
    • 300 gr (19 g) JFP, 700 ft/s, 350 ft-lbf
    • 275 gr (18 g) JHP, 900 ft/s, 495 ft-lbf
    • 300 gr (19 g) JHP, 860 ft/s, 493 ft-lbf
    For .50AE
    325 gr ball, 1305 ft/s, 1229 ft-lbf

Pretty much completely different callibers for completely different purposes. In my opinion, both are novelties and the .50AE is the more useful of the two. The GI is supposed to be the ultimate self defence cartridge and it may well be better than then .45ACP but the cost may not out-weigh the benefits. I'd imagine the recoil is substantial when a follow-up shot may be needed.

However, Very cool for a new toy and/or bragging rights.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I remember the days of 400 Corbon (now overshadowed by hot .45, mild 10mm and violent .40 :D ) and other wildcat cartridges touted as the "next big thing in personal defense". I could care less about "energy" but what I do care about it weight/velocity. The super heavy cartridges using god only knows what bullets going very slowly isn't terribly impressive. This seems like a range toy or an entry into a caliber war with others at the range. Neat concept though. Personally, I still want a 9x25mm Dillon situation. All I need is a G21 and a few hundred bucks... :D

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    It may never become popular as a standard defense round (50GI). But it is a really neat idea for a conversion to play with.

This does remind me of an old saying (the four B's) Big Bores Bust Better

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Played with one at SHOT, one of the fellows I was there with received a preproduction Glock 21 kit - and indicated it was a slick kit that ran well.

In December, Ron Williams made the first AR-15 upper in 50 GI (gas operated)- which ran like a top.

Guncrafters was interested in it at the show, last I heard was sending Ron a proper reamer (he ran a 50 AE reamer in short for the first one as I recall).

The comparison to 50 AE in this thread is a joke.

Just like comparing a 45 Schofield to the 454 Casull.

Top Bottom