• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Hey guys, I am new to the forum and looking for advice. I have been carrying for 3 years now and looking to buy a new daily carry weapon. My current "daily carry" is a Walther PK 380. I bought this gun when I turned 18. I was initially attracted to this gun because everything on it is ambidextrous* (I write left handed but do many other things right handed) so i wasnt 100% sure which would be my dominant hand when firing a handgun. At first I was very happy with it but I am ready for something new. I feel like I am cheating myself to be carrying such a large framed 380. I could be carrying something even smaller yet larger caliber as I am sure you are all aware! (not that I necesarily am aiming to buy a smaller framed weapon) you get the point.

What I am looking for is advice on what might be the right weapon for me. Ive been given many different opinions from family and friends. I've also gone to a couple stores this past week to shop around. Looked at the Glock 27 and 19, M&P 40, XDS 45 and Ruger LC9. I am open to more weapons than just the ones that i've listed, but these are ones that caught my eye.

I am looking for advice and suggestions on which way to go. I prefer CC on my left side.

Thanks for any help guys!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Welcome to INGO!

Kind of a wide range of different handguns/calibers/etc you're looking at there.. from subcompact 40 to compact 45 to 9mm.. all are good options, just kinda depends on what fits you well..

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Welcome to INGO!

Kind of a wide range of different handguns/calibers/etc you're looking at there.. from subcompact 40 to compact 45 to 9mm.. all are good options, just kinda depends on what fits you well..

I forgot to mention I am 5'9" and weigh 155. So I am pretty thin.

I know thats a wide range but thats why I am looking for some good advice to help me narrow options down. I was considering 9mm because rounds are cheaper therefore it would be less costly to become more proficient with my weapon of choice. On the other hand I have been told to go 40 for more stopping power. Like I said just looking for some guidance and opinions.

And Thanks for the welcome! This seems to be a great resource for all firearms fanatics.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    INGO is pretty awesome, yeah :)

You're going to get all kinds of advice on 9mm vs 40 vs 45 (vs 380, etc) and you'll need to decide what you're comfortable with. I've had trigger time with everything on your list except for the XDS 45, but I can tell you that I (personally, of course) wouldn't feel undergunned with any of them. My personal choice of what you posted would be the Glock 19 - the ammo is (relatively) inexpensive and I could afford to train regularly and the 19 is a great compromise of size/strength/reliability/etc.

You already have something to shoot - I'd encourage you to find a place (range, friends, etc) that will enable you to shoot different models to see what you think of them. See what you prefer. Handling them will often let you rule out different models right off the bat, but sometimes you have to invest a little pre-purchase time and money into trying different handguns to see what fits and shoots well for you.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    INGO is pretty awesome, yeah :)

You're going to get all kinds of advice on 9mm vs 40 vs 45 (vs 380, etc) and you'll need to decide what you're comfortable with. I've had trigger time with everything on your list except for the XDS 45, but I can tell you that I (personally, of course) wouldn't feel undergunned with any of them. My personal choice of what you posted would be the Glock 19 - the ammo is (relatively) inexpensive and I could afford to train regularly and the 19 is a great compromise of size/strength/reliability/etc.

You already have something to shoot - I'd encourage you to find a place (range, friends, etc) that will enable you to shoot different models to see what you think of them. See what you prefer. Handling them will often let you rule out different models right off the bat, but sometimes you have to invest a little pre-purchase time and money into trying different handguns to see what fits and shoots well for you.

Solid advice! Thank you very much. I am not in a rush to make a purchase by any means. I do have a few different options currently in the safe so thats not an issue.

I do like the Glock 19 but my only concern is concealability.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I conceal a Glock 23 (same size, 40 cal) with a TLR1 light on it. I'm a hair shorter than you and a little stockier, but I can tell you that the key to concealment is dressing around the firearm. My brother is about your height and runner-build skinny and can conceal a full-size 1911, when he dresses to do so.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    I did get to handle an XDS the other day, I held it up next to my DB9 (almost exactly the same size as an LCP and P3AT) and the XDS was not much bigger. About .100" wider (obviously for the 45acp) and only about .25" longer in the grip. It was a great feeling gun. I heard Springfield is coming out with a 9mm model of the XDS soon also…
    I am 5'10" 155 lb, and I understand trying to find a gun you can conceal. Best advice I have heard about concealing a pistol, is get a great belt and a great holster. A good holster can make all the difference.
    Some other guns to keep in mind… in my humble opinion:
    -CZ75 compact/PCR (very thin gun for a double stack and holds 14+1 9mm)
    -DB9 (super small and for me, 100% reliable)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'd concur (assuming you're looking at a belt-mounted holster) - belts make a HUGE difference. The best holster I have hangs from a junky belt. A cheap Unkle Mike's nylon holster will stay in place and do what it should with a good belt.

I'm personally sold on synthetic belts, like the SuperBIO belt (I'll be doing a video review soon) or the Liger belt. Just because a belt feels like it's tough doesn't mean that it is, either.. TONS of good holsters, those just depend on what you like.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If you like the G19 but concerned about ability to CC it then you might look at the Glock 26, smaller more compact and you can still use Glock 19 mags in it when you want a full grip.

I have one and when its at home I put the Glock 19 mag in it with a grip extension on the mag and it give me 15 round mag with full grip. To me its the best of both worlds :rockwoot:.

All the guns you are asking about are good guns and would serve you well as a carry gun.

As far as the 9mm vs .40 vs .45 all of them do the job when you hit the right area so don't worry about the mythical "stopping power". The only advantage between the three of them is like you said, the 9mm is cheaper so you won't spend as much at the range.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I conceal a Glock 23 (same size, 40 cal) with a TLR1 light on it. I'm a hair shorter than you and a little stockier, but I can tell you that the key to concealment is dressing around the firearm. My brother is about your height and runner-build skinny and can conceal a full-size 1911, when he dresses to do so.

I have been told that many times (dress around the firearm) and I agree with you. Just want to set myself up as best as I can based on other peoples expirience. Anything can be concealed behind a coat but I want to be able to conceal in jeans and a t shirt.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I did get to handle an XDS the other day, I held it up next to my DB9 (almost exactly the same size as an LCP and P3AT) and the XDS was not much bigger. About .100" wider (obviously for the 45acp) and only about .25" longer in the grip. It was a great feeling gun. I heard Springfield is coming out with a 9mm model of the XDS soon also…
    I am 5'10" 155 lb, and I understand trying to find a gun you can conceal. Best advice I have heard about concealing a pistol, is get a great belt and a great holster. A good holster can make all the difference.
    Some other guns to keep in mind… in my humble opinion:
    -CZ75 compact/PCR (very thin gun for a double stack and holds 14+1 9mm)
    -DB9 (super small and for me, 100% reliable)

Thanks for the additional choice options. Any idea when the XDS 9mm might come out?

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    As far as the 9mm vs .40 vs .45 all of them do the job when you hit the right area so don't worry about the mythical "stopping power". The only advantage between the three of them is like you said, the 9mm is cheaper so you won't spend as much at the range.

I found it somewhat funny when one of my co workers expressed to me his opinion on the 9mm. He says he carries a .40 bc he's seen "too many youtube.com videos of cops using 9 mm and the criminal still comes after them"

I am sure there are fluke incidents or maybe the criminal was hopped up on LSD or something, I dont know. And thankfully I have never been shot but I am finding it hard to imagine taking a round or two, regardless of caliber, and still continuing to move towards anything

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the Indiana State Police carries 9mm Glocks as their duty sidearms, so take that for what you will..

I will say that if you're thinking of carrying in jeans and a t-shirt, you will likely feel more comfortable with a smaller handgun. Not that it can't be done with a larger one of course, but smaller handguns will provide so many more options (pocket carry, for instance) that just won't work with something bigger. I could easily conceal an LC9 from your list with jeans and a tucked-in T or polo just by slipping it in a pocket. We'll circle back to the point that your jeans would have to be of sufficient size to hold said handgun in the pocket..

logain

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Fishers
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the Indiana State Police carries 9mm Glocks as their duty sidearms, so take that for what you will..

I will say that if you're thinking of carrying in jeans and a t-shirt, you will likely feel more comfortable with a smaller handgun. Not that it can't be done with a larger one of course, but smaller handguns will provide so many more options (pocket carry, for instance) that just won't work with something bigger. I could easily conceal an LC9 from your list with jeans and a tucked-in T or polo just by slipping it in a pocket. We'll circle back to the point that your jeans would have to be of sufficient size to hold said handgun in the pocket..

State police just changed over to .45 glocks

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, they carried the 9mm for years, so they must have been okay with it for a while. My (limited) research seems to suggest they weren't happy with the 4th Generation Glocks in 9mm so they changed - who knows what the "real" reason may be, but needless to say there are plenty of law enforcement agencies who currently carry 9mm handguns. Nobody that I'm aware of, at least in the US, issues a 380 as a primary handgun round.

Of course, a pocket of LCP is better than a pocket of gravel, so if that's what you can carry comfortably, by all means, carry it. I think there are better options for a negligible difference in size, personally, but YMMV..

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Glock or M&P would be first choice, then the XDS. The M&P Compact pistols are very nice as well. Skip the Ruger, not that its terrible or anything, but you are already considering 3 superior options.

HandyAndy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Fort Wayne (SWAC)
    I <3 My M&P .40 and both my buddy and I shoot it better than his XDM .45 (we just did a range trip this week) Before ruling it out, make sure you get your hands on an M&P, I really feel like the grip offers more comfort and control than the more "Square" grips of the Springfield IMO, I can not speak for the Glock, as I have not owned one

:twocents:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I <3 My M&P .40 and both my buddy and I shoot it better than his XDM .45 (we just did a range trip this week) Before ruling it out, make sure you get your hands on an M&P, I really feel like the grip offers more comfort and control than the more "Square" grips of the Springfield IMO, I can not speak for the Glock, as I have not owned one

:twocents:

I bought my dad an M&P 9mm today. He decided 9mm over .40 because of the cost of rounds. I am still debating 9mm vs .40 myself but I really like the M&P it just feels right in my hand! I stopped by a friends house tonight and he showed me his new M&P body guard. Do they make these in 9mm? Also debating whether I want to give up have my rounds for a slimmer gun or stick with the M&P 9c for the increased capacity.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I'm 5'8" 140lbs and I cc a g23 every day. I was largely as undecided as you so a .40 with 9mm conversion abilities won me over. But as it stands right now when I get enough funds together my next edc will be a g26 so take that for whatever it's worth. Yes I'm getting a g26 for concealability reasons but I've been cc'ing the g23 since Jan...

Top Bottom