• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Looking for a new compact 9mm and I am torn between the Glock 26 and the Springfield XD Subcompact. I have a Glock 19 that I have had for over a decade and it has never let me down, but I recently got an XD .45 and boy is she sweet. I realize that I can use my current G19 mags in the 26 and that is making me lean that direction. I really like the features that the XD's have to off such as the backstrap safety and chamber indicators. If you have either of these pistols let me know what you think.:ar15:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I would personally pick the G26 for the following reasons:

• Magazine compatibility with your current G19
    • Holster compatibility with your current G19
    • Part/accessory compatibility with your current G19
    • No redundant grip safety
    • No top-heavy slide
    1287660313.jpg

XD9821.jpg

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The XD is the better choice here.

• Larger capacity in the flush mount magazine. 13 compared to 10.
    • Longer, more ergonomic grip for better control while still maintaining a very small pistol.
    • Shorter, crisper single action trigger.
    • The presence of a usable mounting rail.
    • You should be able to find it cheaper.

Some things to remember. The presence of a single safety that has unarguable benefits can not accurately be referred to as "redundant." The XD slide is not "top heavy" There is some extra height in the top portion of the frame where the much larger, beefier locking block and takedown lever resides. That takes up space yet, despite appearance, has very negligible affect on bore height.

You may also want to consider the new XDm compact. It has a barrel length comparable to a G19 with the reduced grip system for added concealability with the option of going to the full 19 round capacity.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    I tend to carry my G26 over my XD sub-compact because it's a bit slimmer and has a shorter grip but you can't go wrong with either. At the range I might prefer the XD just slightly over the Glock because of it's unique trigger, and for me anyway, feels better in hand.

Get both and flip a coin for which one to get first :D

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    In my opinion go for the G26!:D I myself carry one and sometimes as a "BUG" and as others have stated mags from your G19 will work in the G26. Also I am not a huge fan on the XD's grip safety that's another reason I dislike them..over the G26.:rockwoot:

But if you don't wanna G26 another gun to consider would be the Smith & Wesson M&P9C. That's a fine concealed carry choice as well...;)

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Glock or XD

I own a 17 ,19 and 26 and it is my personel choice but I would stay with the Glock.
    I have never been a big fan of the XDs, even though I know guys who love them that is there choice.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    This like every other (what gun should I get or what one is better) will get you different answers.

Parts intergangeability is a big plus, personally I don't even notice the heavy slide on my XD and it is a 5 inch.

I personally like the grip saftey and shot better with the XD line then with glocks but still like glocks....... oh and spare used mags are cheap and easy to find for glocks....... good luck on XD and new are around $30.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    wtf....I asked this exact question and everyone freaked out because "it's been asked a million times before" but this time everyone just answers like it's no big deal?

Anyway, I have personally never fired either one, but I liked them both. They both felt good in the hand, both would conceal nicely, and both were a "decent" price.

For me, I decided to go with the glock 26 for 1 reason: Availability of aftermarket parts ! I have already ordered my kholster for it (which I am hoping is in my mailbox this morning) and will go shopping for the gun as soon as my tax check arrives in my bank account!

Personally I couldn't care less about the "chamber indicator" because I handle every gun as if it's loaded anyway, so I don't need an indicator to tell me it really is loaded. The backstrap safety is nice, but the best safety is always, and will always be the one between your ears!

LotsofGlocks

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both are great guns! But in your situation I'd go with the G26 since you already have the G19 and can use those mags on the G26. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I love the XD platform and don't see where people say they have a heavy slide. That being said I am not a huge fan of the subcompacts due to the thickness of the grip.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I would personally pick the G26 for the following reasons:

• Magazine compatibility with your current G19
    • Holster compatibility with your current G19
    • Part/accessory compatibility with your current G19
    • No redundant grip safety
    • No top-heavy slide

+1 to this. I would give the same list.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    This like every other (what gun should I get or what one is better) will get you different answers.

Parts intergangeability is a big plus, personally I don't even notice the heavy slide on my XD and it is a 5 inch.

I personally like the grip saftey and shot better with the XD line then with glocks but still like glocks....... oh and spare used mags are cheap and easy to find for glocks....... good luck on XD and new are around $30.

I have always found XD Mags... they are just as plentiful. Put the XD and the G26 Side by Side... Then the OP will see there is not much difference in Dimensions. I like the XD platform... and I too do not notice a heavy slide.

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    I had taken some photos when I first got my XD. It represents the biggest gun I will carry, but like I mentioned earlier, I prefer the Glock 26 for CC.

289c37m.jpg

o70v4g.jpg

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Thank you everyone who gave their advice. I think I am going to go with the XD, it just feels better in my hand. Down the road I may even get the 9mm XD compact or service to replace the old Glock 19. Does anyone know if the mags are interchangeable between the 9mm XD models?

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    I've never owned a Glock, but shot a couple of them. I didn't see a problem with them, but I think you'll like the
    XD. I have a XD9sc, XD40sc, and a XD45 service and have never had a problem with any of them. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Top Bottom