• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RusL330

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I just purchased a glock 19 with two 15 round magazines. I read that one can also acquire 17 round magazines. Are there actual 17 round magazines, or am I purchasing magazine extensions? If mag extensions, do I also have to buy a new spring or just the extension? Thanks a ton for the info!
    Russell

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You can use the GLock 17 mags, which are 17 rounds, but stick out the grip an inch or more

There are extensions you can add +2 (they say, I find they're actually +3 with 9mm)

You can also use the 33 round mags, those are fun :)

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The Glock 17 magazines are probably the ones you are reading about. They are 17 round and fit the 19. They'll stick out the bottom a little bit though.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I have some Glock 17 mags that I use in my Glock 19 all the time. I already had them, so I use them for target practice.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    That is the beauty of the Glock design. Same caliber magazines from a higher capacity pistol will fit into and operate in the smaller capacity pistol. They simply stick out the bottom of the mag well farther than usual. For example, if you have a Glock 17 mag (9mm), it will fit in and work in the G17, the G19, and the G26. I would love to see the 33rd mag sticking out of the little G26!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    That is the beauty of the Glock design. Same caliber magazines from a higher capacity pistol will fit into and operate in the smaller capacity pistol. They simply stick out the bottom of the mag well farther than usual. For example, if you have a Glock 17 mag (9mm), it will fit in and work in the G17, the G19, and the G26. I would love to see the 33rd mag sticking out of the little G26!

Asketh, and ye shall receive!
    6a00e0097f1b5f883300e55452c8038833-800wi

450_glock26%20w33%20rnds..JPG

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    GLOCK MAG'S

When you add a 2 or 3 round magazine extension
    to your mod. 19 mag, the factory spring may
    remain and work perfectly.

Siderite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    One thing to check is if your glock has the over-insertion stop. If you look at the top of a magazine (rounds facing forwards), there is a rectangle jutting out on the rear of left side. With your glock field-stripped, gently insert one of the longer mags, and it should stop on a corresponding block in glock frame. If your frame lacks this block, you can over-insert a longer mag, resulting in damage to the ejector.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    One thing to check is if your glock has the over-insertion stop. If you look at the top of a magazine (rounds facing forwards), there is a rectangle jutting out on the rear of left side. With your glock field-stripped, gently insert one of the longer mags, and it should stop on a corresponding block in glock frame. If your frame lacks this block, you can over-insert a longer mag, resulting in damage to the ejector.

+1 not worth the risk, stick with the 15rd mags.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This table, from Glock, shows which mags are compatible with which models. Never heard of the "over insertion stop" mentioned above. That's new to me. I'd be interested in an official reference for this if anyone has one to post. Table link below:

GLOCK

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I guess I'll follow my own post (since it really bugs me when I don't know something). On this "over insertion stop" thing, I think the thing that threw me is that the above post makes it sound like it's a feature of "your Glock", like it's somehow part of the frame or something. I found the following quote in, "The Gun Digest Book of the Glock," by Patrick Sweeny which identifies it as part of the MAGAZINE, not the pistol itself:

"The old magazines that wouldn't drop free have a rounded U-shaped notch. The drop-free magazines have a square U-shaped notch. One other change made to the tube when going to the drop-free magazine was another American shooter induced requirement. The top edge of the MAGAZINE shoulder was altered so it acted as a POSITIVE STOP TO MAGAZINE INSERTION."

If this is what's being referred to, then if you're using current generation magazines (i.e. drop free - with the full metal liner) you won't have a problem.

Reference, p174, middle column:
    The Gun Digest Book of the Glock: A ... - Google Book Search

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I avoid the sleeves actually, I want a consistent grip and size with my gun, so just using the mags lets me get that.

I've also had only good luck with the extensions, but I only uses them at the range on G17 mags. 20 rounds are fun, like the 33 rounders :)

Siderite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Coserman,
    Glock mags have the ledge, shown here:
    glock.jpg

and Glock frames have one too (between the thumb and the ejector in this photo - the rectangular protrusion into the mag well)(photo borrowed from huntersmark.com):

gdiss324_large.jpeg

I'm just going from memory here, but I believe either Gen 1 or Gen 1 &2 Glocks lacked the protrusion in the frame.

Top Bottom