• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HardKnox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Vincennes
    I am looking into getting a new toy. Won't be carrying it much just mostly range use so I'm looking at a full size. I have been looking at the Glock 17 or M&P 9mm. Also considering a 1911, maybe a Rock Island Armory or American Tactical. Just wondering your guys experience with any of these guns. New to handguns so any information is helpful.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I personally like the Glocks better.

Between the G17 and M&P 9, which fits your hand better? Figure that out, and get that one.
    Either one is a good choice.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well the M&P is closer in size to the G19. Length of barrel wise. The main difference is the way they feel in your hand. IMO the feel quite differently. Hold them both back to back and buy the one that feels more comfortable to you.

IME Glock is easier to customize and/or find someone who knows how to work on them. Personally, I prefer the M&P.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    The main difference is the way they feel in your hand. IMO the feel quite differently.

They POINT quite differently as well.

With each in your hand, pick a point across the room. Close your eyes and point the pistol at the target. Now open your eyes.

PERSONALLY, I found that I had to roll my wrists, unnaturally, to force the barrel down to get a Glock on target. Not a big issue if Glocks are your only pistols, you'd adapt. The M&P felt more natural, and more similar to other firearms I own.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I am looking into getting a new toy. Won't be carrying it much just mostly range use so I'm looking at a full size. I have been looking at the Glock 17 or M&P 9mm.

The FS M&P is right between a Glock 19 and 17 size wise.
    I prefer the M&P, but I'd recommend trying both and making your own decision. For a range gun, you might also consider a 5" M&P Pro. That is what I shoot in USPSA Production, and it's my favorite pistol at the range.

If you're in the area and want to meet up at Marion County Fish and Game sometime, I'd be happy to let you try out my FS and Pro. It shouldn't be too difficult to find someone who would do the same with a Glock.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

With each in your hand, pick a point across the room. Close your eyes and point the pistol at the target. Now open your eyes.

PERSONALLY, I found that I had to roll my wrists, unnaturally, to force the barrel down to get a Glock on target. Not a big issue if Glocks are your only pistols, you'd adapt. The M&P felt more natural, and more similar to other firearms I own.
    Very true on the point. The Glock expects you to fully extend your wrists.

Also agree with Chezuki, if you aren't gonna carry it, consider the longer Pro series.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

This is great advice here.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Everyone's natural point of aim is different. There are ways to find YOUR natural point of aim.

Just go with which one feels best in your hand.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What/if anything are you carrying currently? I see you don't plan to carry this gun, but my recommendation would change depending on what else you own. The M&P, Glocks, and 1911's are all platforms. I suggest consider what platform you are interested in a jump in. Some folks like having one of everything. I'm not on that bandwagon. Now having multiples of 1 thing or platform (subcompact like Glock 26/officer's model 1911/M&P 9c; compact like Glock 19/commander size 1911/M&P 9; full size Glock 17/Govt Model/M&P Pro) that's different :) You can share mags/holsters, other gear. Do some research/do some shooting (rental or friend's) and figure out what you like.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Own(ed) them both....love them both! Currently love the M&P Core with an Apex kit in it, but shoot the g17 just as well, just not as fast. They do index completely different. Fondle them both and decide which one feels better, aims/points better, and enjoy!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I prefer the M&P grip, but the overall Glock package (trigger, natural POA) works better for me.

YMMV

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the M&P and bought it because it feels better in my hand than the Glock did. I also have a 1911 which I like a lot more. I think the M&P is a good pistol, but I can't get used to the "sproing" that the striker fired trigger makes so I am going to sell it for a hammer fired pistol.

Not sure why you narrowed it down to those two, but if I can save you some possible hassle, don't listen to all the internet hype about pistols. Try as many as you can and look beyond the two mentioned. It is quite possible you may find something that's not mainstream that is perfect for you. The Smith's and Glocks all float to the top...because they are made of plastic!:) Just kidding, but those are what most people buy so you will get opinions on those most of the time.

My brother has owned and/or shot most of the 9mm's out there and he has come back to an old Belgium made Hi-Power with a target sight and some trigger work done and it's is hands down his favorite 9.

Food for thought, that's all this is.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am looking into getting a new toy. Won't be carrying it much just mostly range use so I'm looking at a full size. I have been looking at the Glock 17 or M&P 9mm. Also considering a 1911, maybe a Rock Island Armory or American Tactical. Just wondering your guys experience with any of these guns. New to handguns so any information is helpful.

OP where are you located? Just so happens I have an M&P, a Glock and a 1911. I would let you shoot them. I could probably write a small essay on the strengths and weaknesses of each platform. Then everyone else would disagree with me.

My favorite of the group is the 1911 platform. I don't recommend this for a first handgun.

I prefer the Glock over the M&P. My wife, sister & brother-in-law prefers the M&P over the Glock. So there you go.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    OP where are you located? Just so happens I have an M&P, a Glock and a 1911. I would let you shoot them. I could probably write a small essay on the strengths and weaknesses of each platform. Then everyone else would disagree with me.

My favorite of the group is the 1911 platform. I don't recommend this for a first handgun.

I prefer the Glock over the M&P. My wife, sister & brother-in-law prefers the M&P over the Glock. So there you go.

Me neither. Because once you feel that sweet trigger of a 1911, you won't like anything else!:):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Me neither. Because once you feel that sweet trigger of a 1911, you won't like anything else!:):

I actually agree with this statement! The 1911 platform (especially in 9mm) is very easy to shoot. But a good quality 1911 is going to cost more, require more maintenance, hold less ammunition and weigh more then a Glock/M&P. Even with those negatives if I were allowed to choose only one platform it would be the 1911.

HardKnox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Vincennes

I am located in Vincennes. I currently carry a SCCY 9mm I picked up for my first gun about a year ago. With being on a college campus I am not allowed to carry so I am looking for a good range gun. Have looked into the 1911 Rock Island or American Tactical.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am located in Vincennes. I currently carry a SCCY 9mm I picked up for my first gun about a year ago. With being on a college campus I am not allowed to carry so I am looking for a good range gun. Have looked into the 1911 Rock Island or American Tactical.

If you make it over this way we will see about getting to the range.

Take my advice and sell the SCCY and buy a Glock 19 or M&P. Oh and you can carry but be aware that it is probably against the college's rules.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom