• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    here she is... 3/4 of the way done with my 458 socom indiana legal deer hunting rifle...

09150911182.jpg

0915091121.jpg

0915091205.jpg

0915091227.jpg

0915091247.jpg

0915091435.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've heard the term "glass bedding", but really have no idea what it means or what it does, even after seeing the pics.

Wanna give me a quick synopsis?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    will be brining it out in a few weeks hopefully, i still have to strip the metal and duracoat, and do a little bit more finish sanding on the stock and then duracoat everything.... i am going to be putting it on thick since its a hunting rifle and will be prone to scratches.... ill have pics of the whole ordeal when its ready...

esrice, glass bedding is essentially inletting your action and adding support mechanisms, mine already had aluminum pillars built in so i did whats call "skim bedding" as apposed to "pillar bedding".... i inletted the stock to allow room for a two part epoxy, in my case devcon steel.... i prepped everything and set the action down into the epoxy squeezing it out of the sides... then you let it cure and clean up all the excess.... this allows for the stock to 100 percent match all of the contours of the reciever, and takes all the stress out of the system as a whole... this allows for more consistant vibration and recoil and will produce a much more consistant/accurate gun...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    set the action down into the epoxy squeezing it out of the sides... then you let it cure and clean up all the excess.... this allows for the stock to 100 percent match all of the contours of the reciever, and takes all the stress out of the system as a whole... this allows for more consistant vibration and recoil and will produce a much more consistant/accurate gun...

Interesting. Although it kinda sounds like the exact opposite of free-floating??

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the barrel is still free floated.... the bedding just takes the stress out of the reciever.... in otherwords, glass bedding a free floated barrel will give you just as many accuracy gains, as free floating a barrel that was not previosly.... no epoxy touched the barrel and never will as the barrel will change will tempurate way more drastically than the reciever will....

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    here is an example.... in the first picture, the reciever is only touching the two shiney aluminum pillars.... everything else can vibrate and move around during recoil after firing...
    in the second picture i have bedded the action essentially making a "cradle" for the reciver to sit in, also bedded around the recoil lug making for a very precise fit... this will minimize movement and vibration...producing accuracy...
    before
    09150911182.jpg

after

0915091435.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    the barrel is still free floated.... the bedding just takes the stress out of the reciever....

Ok, got it now. :thumbsup:

I thought I was looking at the receiver and barrel all being laid down in that stuff together. This makes much more sense.

Top Bottom