• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I do not want to come off as racist but I am mentioning race in this story only to better describe the situation. I guess we are all a little racist, but I try hard not to be but sometimes it is hard to be completely politically correct so I am just going to tell it like it is. I am 51 year old white guy from Plainfield and found myself outside my normal circumstance.

Last night I had the job of not drinking so I could be the driver for a bunch of drinking age, college kids, one of them my daughter, who went downtown Indy to celebrate the New Year. I do go downtown Indy fairly often, but never to pick up kids at 2:30 in the morning. I was more than happy to provide this service and proud of the kids for not wanting to drive.

I started out from Plainfield on I-70 and allowed myself some extra time because the roads looked like they could get slick. I was expecting to see a lot of police but did not see any. There was hardly any traffic at all. As I reached downtown, I decided to get off on Meridian Street when I saw a car stopped on the bridge/exit ramp with his flashers on. A young black male had his arm out the driver's window as if he was flagging me down. I pulled my .38 J frame revolver out of my left front pocket where I routinely carry it CC and tucked it under my left leg where it would be handy. I rolled down my passenger window as I pulled up next to him and asked if everything was OK. He was holding a gallon gas can and said that he had run out of gas. Now I have seen the old ran out of gas, need money routine before but the kid was polite and respectful and he did have a car to go along with the gas can so I told the kid to hop in and we would go get some gas. I figured if I did not help this kid, nobody would, and if he tried something***, well you know.

As it turned out, this kid was sober and not a threat, and had no bad intentions. He was just a kid who made the mistake of letting his car run out of gas. We wound up on south Meridian Street where we eventually found a gas station which was a Village Pantry convince store. The kid said he did not have any cash but he did have a credit card so I did not offer to buy his gas, otherwise I would have. I could tell it was a classy place as he went up to talk to the attendant through bullet proof glass and sliding tray. It took him a while and I figured he was having trouble with his card so I got out of the car and was going to offer to pay. The girl at the station knew the kid from high school and she ultimately loaned him the money to buy his gas. About that time another young black male showed up on foot just hanging around. It turned out he knew the kid I was helping out also. I was thinking all along that I was a lot more brave in this unfamiliar situation because I was armed and situationally aware. The kid got his gas and I returned him to his car when the again thanked me as we said goodby. As he got out, I noticed for the first time that he was the typical "pants on the ground", with hoodie and all the things that would make me stereotype him.

My point in telling this uneventful story is that I wold have never helped this kid if I had not been armed. I hear a lot of stories about guns being used for defense, but in this case, simply being armed allowed me step outside my comport zone and help someone who needed it. The kid never knew I had a gun and could have killed him in an instant if he would have tried to pull a knife on me or something. As it turned out, everything I assumed about the kid was wrong and I was glad I was at the right place and time to help him out.

That's my story, boring, but true.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Interesting read. I know that area and can say yes, you were outside of your normal surroundings.

I carry all the time but I doubt that would have given me enough to stop. Many years ago I was robbed under seemingly innocent circumstances. I steer clear of putting myself in situations where the chances of me drawing down on someone go up.

I'm glad you helped the kid and it worked out for the better. That could be an important memory for him someday.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    A good story, and while I find myself doing the same sort of thing, the saying, "don't do anything armed that you wouldn't do unarmed," certainly comes to mind.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Good story and good deed done. I have helped people stranded before but have always been armed. Anymore I'm armed with 2 guns but that's a different story. There have been a couple times that I've thought to myself "Self WTH are you doing?" but things turned out ok. I guess I hope that there are a few good people left in society and that someone will help me if I ever need it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm wondering if you could have accessed that J-frame before the knife he had slipped up his sleeve was open and at your throat.

I'm glad you didn't have to find out.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    A good story, and while I find myself doing the same sort of thing, the saying, "don't do anything armed that you wouldn't do unarmed," certainly comes to mind.

I would consider that to be really good advice. I am a Christian and sometimes feel that the Good Lord puts me in situations where I have the opportunity to do good, even if that is not the easiest path. I wold not what to live in a world where nobody would be willing to help each other out.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    We teach our kids never to get into cars with strangers... I'm glad this worked out for both of you but my philosophy is this: I go out of my way to AVOID potentially dangerous situations when armed. Being armed should not lead one into more risky situations (unless you're military or LEO, of course).

My .02 only; not trying to stir the pot. Again, I'm glad everything turned out OK.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    Good story, thank you, I'm not sure I would have done the same. You're a better person than I. As I get older I find myself trusting people less and less especially in today's environment.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Silly questions;
    How many folks carry a gas can in their car?
    How odd is it to run out of gas (especially with no $ in pocket,) after midnight?
    Don't today's vehicles burn up fuel pumps when they run out of gas?

urban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    I can't say that I know what I would have done in that same situation!

I got burned one time on a cold winder night when we came across someone who held a sign saying "hungry, will work for food". My girlfriend at the time went down the street with the sole purpose of getting him a Big Mac meal. We walked back and handed it to him and when we turned our back, he threw it at her (including the coke). She was soaked and left in tears.

I am a bit jaded about helping people.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Silly questions;
    How odd is it to run out of gas (especially with no $ in pocket,) after midnight?
    I thought about the gas can too. Who does that? (But then I also thought to myself that I carry one in my truck) If he has the forethought to carry a gas can, you would think he would be smart enough not to run out of gas. Or, maybe he runs out of gas so often that he carries a gas can..?

I can also never understand why these people are out driving if they have no gas, and no money. And if they don't have any money, where in the hell are they going?

Fuel pumps can burn out, but it would take a long time without any fluid going through it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Silly questions;

People that run out of gas a lot....

People that run out of gas a lot.... Might have been there for hours....
    I know people that NEVER use cash. They even pay for a soda with debit cards.

They just quit running. If you continue to crank it there might be issues though.

:twocents:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    When I told him he was fortunate to have the gas can, he told me that his gas gage was not working properly and he usually could not fill up his tank so he had to guess a lot. Not the first time he ran out of gas.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When I told him he was fortunate to have the gas can, he told me that his gas gage was not working properly and he usually could not fill up his tank so he had to guess a lot. Not the first time he ran out of gas.

I think it's a very good thing that you did not look like a victim. :yesway:

Top Bottom