• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I spent the week on the road visiting branch offices. Last night I was sitting in my hotel room 2 blocks from a Lowes and I suddenly got the urge to go. Not a maybe? But a YES YOU SHOULD GO. let me explain...

You see, the wife swears we have a broken drain on the kitchen sink. She clogs it all the damn time by feeding the disposal too much at a time. Like a quart of pulled pork all at once. That one she came down into my office looking kinda like the mustard man meme, with the mini plunger in her hand instead of a mustard jar. "come upstairs with a smile on your face and a joyful heart. Please. "

iu

Both sides of the sink had nasty pale grey soup and it was splashed EVERYWHERE. Even when I tried plunging by holding the drain plug in the other side, I still got splashed with nasty chunky, smokey scented water. There goes my joyful heart.

After tearing it down, I couldnt get it to clog again. Its always her. But noooo. Its the drain.

Now I considered it could be the handy flex pipe I had to install when we remodeled 10 years ago and moved the sink 2". That put it just barely out of line to use the p trap to line it up. but Ive never found any indication that is part of the problem. I decided the last time to try to figure out how to eliminate that accordion pipe and plumb it properly.

She clogged it right before I left. So I got it all put back together and started the hamster running in my head for a solution. At one point this week I realized I could probably add a 45* or two to shift it. Maybe just one and insert the horizontal pipe 45 to the union? Why not?

Then last night after I showered, I had a STRONG urge to go. I was slightly bored with nothing to do, so why not? I threw my pants on and headed out to follow the siren's song and buy a couple 45s and the slip adapters.

I got home tonight, and while she is at church at a meeting, I decided to eyeball fit those parts to see how it would work. I reach back and two 45s make it stick out too far. Hmmm. Let me pull out this basket that is sitting under the trap. *SLOSH* EWWWWWW! Apparently the trap wasnt assembled well enough and it had been leaking nasty water all week.

And it was just short of starting to leak out. Just short of the vent holes on the side of the basket. If I hadnt gotten that wild hair and run out this weekend instead It would have made a HUGE mess between now and then possibly requiring me to do work on the cabinetry.

Instead it just ruined my lithium power scrubber that was in the bottom of the basket. :(

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I considered it could be the handy flex pipe
    Just 2 ideas.... From the guy in the audience.... The flex pipe is not code and just a band aide. They plug up so they are not allowed.

2nd, Are you in city or private septic?? Any food that does not pass through the body does not degrade in a private septic tank. (not in a public one either) Mostly just fills the tank and has to have it pumped out sooner. From what I have seen it seems to be true.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just 2 ideas.... From the guy in the audience.... The flex pipe is not code and just a band aide. They plug up so they are not allowed.

2nd, Are you in city or private septic?? Any food that does not pass through the body does not degrade in a private septic tank. (not in a public one either) Mostly just fills the tank and has to have it pumped out sooner. From what I have seen it seems to be true.
    I cant get that section to plug. Its always the trap. The slurry just cant get uphill. And yes, this is temporary indeed. When a man says he will do something, you dont have to keep reminding him every 6 months. :p I cant even find any residue when I remove the pipe for other reasons. :dunno:

I'm aware about point 2, thanks. Our house is on city sewers. In fact as head trustee, I had to remove the disposal from our church's kitchen. We are on city water, but the nearest lift station is a half mile away so we are still on septic.

And as to the code issues, its gotta be up to code somewhere. I saw new DIY rebuild kits that use the flex everywhere.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    And as to the code issues, its gotta be up to code somewhere. I saw new DIY rebuild kits that use the flex everywhere.
    Here is a thread. Terry love is a professional plumber site. They do some DIY questions too. I know they sell the stuff, but more of a home owner, I fixed it stuff. An inspector won't approve it.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    So I spent the week on the road visiting branch offices. Last night I was sitting in my hotel room 2 blocks from a Lowes and I suddenly got the urge to go. Not a maybe? But a YES YOU SHOULD GO. let me explain...

You see, the wife swears we have a broken drain on the kitchen sink. She clogs it all the damn time by feeding the disposal too much at a time. Like a quart of pulled pork all at once. That one she came down into my office looking kinda like the mustard man meme, with the mini plunger in her hand instead of a mustard jar. "come upstairs with a smile on your face and a joyful heart. Please. "

iu

Both sides of the sink had nasty pale grey soup and it was splashed EVERYWHERE. Even when I tried plunging by holding the drain plug in the other side, I still got splashed with nasty chunky, smokey scented water. There goes my joyful heart.

After tearing it down, I couldnt get it to clog again. Its always her. But noooo. Its the drain.

Now I considered it could be the handy flex pipe I had to install when we remodeled 10 years ago and moved the sink 2". That put it just barely out of line to use the p trap to line it up. but Ive never found any indication that is part of the problem. I decided the last time to try to figure out how to eliminate that accordion pipe and plumb it properly.

She clogged it right before I left. So I got it all put back together and started the hamster running in my head for a solution. At one point this week I realized I could probably add a 45* or two to shift it. Maybe just one and insert the horizontal pipe 45 to the union? Why not?

Then last night after I showered, I had a STRONG urge to go. I was slightly bored with nothing to do, so why not? I threw my pants on and headed out to follow the siren's song and buy a couple 45s and the slip adapters.

I got home tonight, and while she is at church at a meeting, I decided to eyeball fit those parts to see how it would work. I reach back and two 45s make it stick out too far. Hmmm. Let me pull out this basket that is sitting under the trap. *SLOSH* EWWWWWW! Apparently the trap wasnt assembled well enough and it had been leaking nasty water all week.

And it was just short of starting to leak out. Just short of the vent holes on the side of the basket. If I hadnt gotten that wild hair and run out this weekend instead It would have made a HUGE mess between now and then possibly requiring me to do work on the cabinetry.

Instead it just ruined my lithium power scrubber that was in the bottom of the basket. :(
    "So I spent the week on the road visiting branch offices. Last night I was sitting in my hotel room 2 blocks from a Lowes and I suddenly got the urge to go. Not a maybe? But a YES YOU SHOULD GO. let me explain..."

At first, I thought that you had a problem with your bowels or bladder and was hesitant to read further.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "So I spent the week on the road visiting branch offices. Last night I was sitting in my hotel room 2 blocks from a Lowes and I suddenly got the urge to go. Not a maybe? But a YES YOU SHOULD GO. let me explain..."

At first, I thought that you had a problem with your bowels or bladder and was hesitant to read further.
    It does have a bit of a "dear penthouse..."vibe. LOL

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Though on a related note, I thought I broke the toilet in the hotel room this AM. Well, not really ME...

Flushed and after the glugs the room fell silent. Where's the whoosh of water? There is supposed to be a whoosh.

Took the tank lid off and nothing. Float was down and silence. No new water.
    So I'm standing there poking and prodding the valve like this and nothing still.

1724985242992.png

So I put the lid back on ready to tell the front desk about on my way out. Then as I'm brushing my teeth, I hear it start filling. Ohkaaaaaaay... I guess it was tired?

Top Bottom