• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeep911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    im trying to get my girl friend into doing fun stuff like shooting hunting etc, she is all for it and i have enough guns to lend her for hunting and stuff but she wants her own handgun. she likes my 1911 and glock 23 and thinks revolvers and small handguns look dumb so she doesnt want one of those but the 1911 is too big for her to carry and the glock is pushin it with how small her hands are. i want her to have atleast a 9mm. any ideas? i think she should just stop being so picky. doesnt matter if the gun looks "cool".

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Sorry to go off topic, but, I am taking the girlfriend shooting for the first time Saturday, I've already spent a lot of time on firearm safety, had her dry fire a lot, etc. but my question is, was your 23 too big for the gf to shoot? I am gonna teach her on my g19 and she's only 5'1", 90lbs. I almost worry she won't be able to hold onto the thing.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'd say take a look at the Springfield Armory 9mm EMP, fantastic looking 1911's in 9mm. I don't have one but I'm eyeballing something like this for my wife as well.....

wm_3114084.jpg

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    im trying to get my girl friend into doing fun stuff like shooting hunting etc, she is all for it and i have enough guns to lend her for hunting and stuff but she wants her own handgun. she likes my 1911 and glock 23 and thinks revolvers and small handguns look dumb so she doesnt want one of those but the 1911 is too big for her to carry and the glock is pushin it with how small her hands are. i want her to have atleast a 9mm. any ideas? i think she should just stop being so picky. doesnt matter if the gun looks "cool".

Have her shoot a variety of calibers...see what she is most comfortable shooting. It won't do her any good if she won't use it.

With that said, I really wanted a .380 for my daughter...but she won't shoot them (doesn't like the kick). So most likely, will end up getting her a little Walther that shoots .22lr. Better than no self defense gun. And she is very comfortable shooting a .22.

And yes...they do make pink handguns. :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Take her to the 1500 and let her pick up as many as she can until she finds one she likes.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

If she can shoot a 9mm comfortably, look at a S&W MP compact 9MM. Great conceal gun, and the MP's are VERY soft shooting. I have on in the 9mm Pro setup, with the 5" barrel. also, the MP's come with three different sized backstraps for the grip, so you can tune them to hand size. Great for the ladies.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Take her to the 1500 and let her pick up as many as she can until she finds one she likes.

Another +1 for this. And don't rule out 1911s. There are a lot of very small 1911s out there in whatever cal you prefer. If she likes the feel of a 1911, she can probably find one to fit her hands. You know, unless she's really only used to handling VERY. SMALL. THINGS.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You know, unless she's really only used to handling VERY. SMALL. THINGS.

HAHAHA, Now that's just mean!

:laugh:

The 9mm 1911s are REALLY nice. My friend has one, and I cannot get enough of shooting it. Also, if she likes the glock, why not look into a glock 26 or 27 that she could carry?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Do you consider 9mm a large caliber? I would like to teach my g/f on a .22 but I don't own a .22 pistol. The smallest pistol I own is a .380, but it is a pocket pistol and jumps like crazy, so I figured the 9mm would be the next best.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Do you consider 9mm a large caliber? I would like to teach my g/f on a .22 but I don't own a .22 pistol. The smallest pistol I own is a .380, but it is a pocket pistol and jumps like crazy, so I figured the 9mm would be the next best.

Virtually all handguns involve a trade off, as longer barrel, tougher to carry, but less recoil. I've fired some 9mm handguns that generate little recoil, but others in that caliber can be a handful, even for some guys. If you're gonna start with a 9mm, I'd suggest enough weight or longer barrel to dampen perceived recoil.

If nothing else, get hold of me and we'll arrange an outing for you and your lady to "try on" a few different platforms. I'm an hour north of Indy. Many ladies only get scared off once. Everyone is different, just try not to let the initial experience be an intimidating one.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Having shot a 9mm and a .380 side by side out of very similar guns (small/polymer), it's my experience that the 9mm is way snappier...to the point of being un-enjoyable to shoot many at a time from...
    YMMV

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Having shot a 9mm and a .380 side by side out of very similar guns (small/polymer), it's my experience that the 9mm is way snappier...to the point of being un-enjoyable to shoot many at a time from...
    YMMV

Have you ever shot an MP? I have let 5 or 6 different fellas try mine.....and every one of em comments on what a soft shooter it is.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Have you ever shot an MP? I have let 5 or 6 different fellas try mine.....and every one of em comments on what a soft shooter it is.

I don't believe so.
    One of these days I should start keeping an "I shot it" journal when I get to shoot other people's toys...and make notes to myself about what I tried (and liked or didn't)! :D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If nothing else, get hold of me and we'll arrange an outing for you and your lady to "try on" a few different platforms. I'm an hour north of Indy. Many ladies only get scared off once. Everyone is different, just try not to let the initial experience be an intimidating one.

:yesway: Don't miss out on this opportunity!!!

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

I got the berm enlarged a bit, just waiting for you and "short round" to come up and try it out. I got a way to cool off after as well.... ;)

Gotta watch JetGirl, she tends to leave fingerprints on shiny guns... :rolleyes:

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have had a PK380 for about 6 months now. I've put a total of about 500 rounds through this gun, and have had 2 FTE's, and 1 FTF. All three occurred prior to me polishing the firearm, and that was when I had only put about 200 rounds through it. I honestly love this gun, and I take it everywhere I go. Take-down is extremely easy, but requires a tool. I order 2 extra tools, I have one in my car and the other in my holster. Im 6 feet tall and weigh about 175lbs, so I'm pretty thin, but I have no problem concealing this gun. The people who have constant FTE's and FTF's, probably need to work on their shooing form, AND CLEAN YOUR GUN AFTER YOU SHOOT IT....cause the gun isnt the problem!!!

But its small(not as small as other .380's), feels good in my hand...and light.

Last edited by a moderator:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yeah, that ^ !

waiting for you and "short round" to come up and try it out. I got a way to cool off after as well.... ;)
    Can you believe that, 0311?? I think Jay just told you to go soak yer head! :eek:
    Gotta watch JetGirl, she tends to leave fingerprints on shiny guns... :rolleyes:
    God created shiny guns to be fingerprintied. By ME.
    Don't believe me? Go ask him.
    Go on... I'll wait.
    :popcorn:

Top Bottom