• BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    P&G takes an 8 billion dollar charge-off for losses at Gillette

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/31/gillettes-toxic-masculinity-ad-haunts-pg-as-shavin/

Gillette’s infamous “toxic masculinity” ad may cost Procter & Gamble more than anyone imagined in January.
    The year that Gillette launched its “We Believe” campaign and asked “Is this the best a man can get?” has coincided with P&G’s $8 billion non-cash writedown for the shaving giant.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    P&G takes an 8 billion dollar charge-off for losses at Gillette

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jul/31/gillettes-toxic-masculinity-ad-haunts-pg-as-shavin/

giphy.gif

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    What a shocker.

They still refuse to attribute the loss to the commercial, saying that it's because of competitors offering lower prices. No, P&G, it's because you alienated your customer base.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    What a shocker.

They still refuse to attribute the loss to the commercial, saying that it's because of competitors offering lower prices. No, P&G, it's because you alienated your customer base.
    Why did the competitors lower their prices? There was blood in the water and the sharks attacked. Gillette HAD an overwhelming percentage of the shaving market (something like 70%.) A guy named Gillette invented the safety razor. First to market with two blade (Trac-II), three (Mach 3), and five (Fusion) blade razors. One commercial sent over 100 years of market domination down the crapper.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Why did the competitors lower their prices? There was blood in the water and the sharks attacked. Gillette HAD an overwhelming percentage of the shaving market (something like 70%.) A guy named Gillette invented the safety razor. First to market with two blade (Trac-II), three (Mach 3), and five (Fusion) blade razors. One commercial sent over 100 years of market domination down the crapper.

Anything after the first blade is marketing bs imho which they excelled at for decades.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

Perfectly stated.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    What a shocker.

Gillette has been treading water for a while now. I think they had been unprofitable for something like 13 of the last 14 quarters. The commercial certainly didn't help, but it's not the only reason they're in the mess they're in. If anything it was a Hail Mary that blew up in their face.

[video=youtube_share;IFo74VD0WqY]http://youtu.be/IFo74VD0WqY[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Gillette has been treading water for a while now. I think they had been unprofitable for something like 13 of the last 14 quarters. The commercial certainly didn't help, but it's not the only reason they're in the mess they're in. If anything it was a Hail Mary that blew up in their face...

That makes sense.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gillette has been treading water for a while now. I think they had been unprofitable for something like 13 of the last 14 quarters. The commercial certainly didn't help, but it's not the only reason they're in the mess they're in. If anything it was a Hail Mary that blew up in their face.

If their flailing leads to them insulting a large part of their customer base, then let them fail. There are plenty of other companies that will happily serve the customers they are driving away. No company is owed our allegiance.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    One thing they said that I have noticed, especially since I retired, is that beards have become fashionable again, and even going without shaving has become more acceptable. That certainly has affected the amount of shaving I do. So I can see their point that shaving, in general, is not as popular as it once was.

I've been using Gillette razors for 30 years and I've got a Gillette Fusion razor that I really like. I bought a 4-cassette of blades last year and two cans of Edge shaving cream. Based on current usage, I won't need to worry about buying another razor/blade set until sometime in 2021.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dunno, I wouldn't underestimate how terrible and overpriced their product is.

Dollar shave club seems to be very popular. That’s gotta have some impact. Also, I imagine Gillette’s wokeness has alienated more than a few loyal customers. So it’s likely a bit of both. Stiff competition along with giving loyal customers a reason to switch.

Besides. WTF were they thinking? Who the hell shaves anymore? Pretty much the unwoke people who might find the campaign against men a bit insulting.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought new supplies last month and intentionally avoided buying any of their products. I did not even look at the prices of their products as it didn’t matter.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Once I'm done with my current pack of refill blades, I'll be looking at alternatives to Gillette. Like Nike they are on the list of companies I no longer do business with.

Top Bottom