• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I put about 600 rounds through my new gun over the last two days. It has about 850 through it, total. It is nice settling in to the way a new gun shoots. By the end of today's range session, I was grouping about 1.5 or 2 inches at 7 yards. I know it isn't great, but it is the first handgun I have owned, so I don't think it's too bad, either. It is fun watching my groups tighten up as I get more used to everything.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. Just be patient and those groups will close up nicely for you.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Episcopus, I don't know what you level of experience is . But if you are a new shooter (I'm fairly new myself) you need to get some training with that new gun.

You can be tightening up those groups all you want but you might be doing it in a way where you are trying to reinvent the wheel. I coach people in an area unrelated to firearms but I see it all the time where newbies have spent a couple of weeks or 30 years re-inventing the wheel and committing to muscle memory really bad habits. By the time they get to me it's a bitch to break em.

My suggestion is get a coach or go to one of the intro firearms classes around here (check the training section) and get some good instruction.

10 rounds of dry fire practice might be worth 1000 on the range.

I put about 600 rounds through my new gun over the last two days. It has about 850 through it, total. It is nice settling in to the way a new gun shoots. By the end of today's range session, I was grouping about 1.5 or 2 inches at 7 yards. I know it isn't great, but it is the first handgun I have owned, so I don't think it's too bad, either. It is fun watching my groups tighten up as I get more used to everything.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I am a Deputy Prosecutor in my county, so I have a lot of training opportunities, and I will be taking advantage of them. I have already received permission to join the Sheriffs office when they do their next training session, and I am putting a call in to one of the city police departments this week. I know I can train with them too, I just have to find out when their next course is.

Thanks for the concern though. I have very little pistol experience right now. My dad and grandpa were both shotgunners, so that's what I started in. I still like spending a lot of my time on both the trap and skeet ranges.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Sounds great! Enjoy your new pistol and be safe. :thumbsup:

I am a Deputy Prosecutor in my county, so I have a lot of training opportunities, and I will be taking advantage of them. I have already received permission to join the Sheriffs office when they do their next training session, and I am putting a call in to one of the city police departments this week. I know I can train with them too, I just have to find out when their next course is.

Thanks for the concern though. I have very little pistol experience right now. My dad and grandpa were both shotgunners, so that's what I started in. I still like spending a lot of my time on both the trap and skeet ranges.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I was actually watching that video as you were posting. :) I have been watching a lot of training videos and reading a lot of technique posts to try and make sure that I am not doing anything obviously wrong. Hopefully I only have minor bad habits to break through formal training.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Am I getting old and senile or did you not mention what handgun you are learning to shoot? Anyway, it is a good feeling watching your groups get smaller, and your aim get steadier as you get used to your new pistol (revolver?).

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    Am I getting old and senile . . .

No, not yet. I just noticed that I left that little detail out. I went with a Sig p239 in 9mm. The Sigs came highly recommended by my Sheriffs department (and everywhere else I read about them), and I figured that the 239 will be easiest in their line to conceal when in a suit.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    :thumbsup: The Sig P239 is a great pistol. In fact, I bought one for my daughter on her last birthday. Just watching her enjoy taking the center out of the target made my whole month. Enjoy your P239, a really nice pistol! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom