• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Cathy's parents are on their way over from PA to take Sean away to Bible camp for the next couple weeks. After that, he'll be heading off to my Mom's for a couple weeks, then school. Between work and crappy weather, we haven't had much play time this summer, so we decided we'd best seize the moment and get some in!

Got up bright and early, and headed of to Linden Conservation Club for a little bit of fishing and shooting. Had time for about an hour and a half fishing, a bit more than an hour's worth of shooting. Actually had time for a little more shooting, but it was already getting hot!

Sean caught himself a nice catfish, his first. Cathy and I came up mostly empty, but Cathy did catch a fine example of the far too common grass fish. Still had a good time, especially after Sean caught his. His excitement was contagious :)

Headed over to the range to make some noise. Sean brought his 22/45 along to practice with, Cathy had the .22 barrel on her Rossi single shot, I took out Sean's old Cricket. The little Cricket actually plays a role in our emergency plans, as it's size and weight makes it a marvelous pack gun. Figured I should break her out and see if she can still shoot straight. Cathy continues to practice her squirrel slaying techniques, and tried to shoot a face onto her target. Sean is learning that just because his first five shots out of his gun were a great group, they won't all be that way. He's learning that handguns are hard to master, but his shooting was just fine today. He can do better, but there are many shooters out there that can't keep as many rounds on target as he did at 20 yards.

Sean's new Ruger 22/45 continues to impress. It passed the 500 round mark today. Only malfunctions have been a couple failures to feed with Winchester XPert ammo the last time we had it out. I tried some Federal Champion Target standard velocity rounds in it today to see how they'd work. Fed and functioned just fine, and were plenty accurate.

Had a good time, hopefully when he's done visiting all the various grandparents we'll be able to fit a bit more fun in before he goes back to school!

Pics and targets:

Sean and his catch of the day
    Shooting7-15-10002.jpg

Cathy with trophy class grass fish
    Shooting7-15-10003.jpg

Me shooting a teensy tiny little rifle
    Shooting7-15-10006.jpg

Shooting7-15-10007.jpg

Sean trying to get his grip and stance just the way Coach taught him
    Shooting7-15-10012.jpg

Shooting7-15-10013.jpg

One of Sean's efforts with his 22/45
    Shooting7-15-10014.jpg

My effort with his 22/45 and Federal Champion ammo.
    Shooting7-15-10015.jpg

Little Cricket can still put rounds on target
    Shooting7-15-10016.jpg

Cathy's attempt at making a face...
    Shooting7-15-10017.jpg

Top Bottom