• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'll pick up my Triumph Scrambler this Sat :rockwoot: Its been 20 years since I rode a bike. Anyone know of a good route in Central Indiana? I'm thinking about heading down South; maybe Nashville, IN. Looking for a fun route after I work the cob webs out. I'm located in Indianapolis.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Congrats, man! I would suggest take some of the back roads up north. Southern Indiana can be a little tricky if you haven't ridden in a while.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As weird as it may sound. I carry a attraction map of the state. When I set out for the afternoon to ride I just pick a spot on the map and make my way to it. Sometimes it is cool others it isnt. I rode up by Rochester to a town called Beaver dam. It turned out just to be a historical marker. Kind of disappointing but a nice ride. I did learn that having 1/2 tank of gas and thinking that I dont need to stop at that gas station isn't the best ideal. I had to stop and get my phone to find a town with a gas station before running out.

The ride down to Madison is nice, Nashville is nice as well. I have been up to Rochester, Huntington, Wabash and other small towns. I usually just use that map and a compass and just go. If I know I need to be home by a certin time I just ride so far then make my way home.

If you ever want to ride with someone I can try to ride. I have a busy schedule with work and working at the range.

-James

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Unless something has changed, haven't done the northern part of this trip for years.

Find a good spot to get on 135 South out of Indy.

Come into Nashville, stop for bio.

East on 46 to 135 South.

West on 58.

North on 446. For a short trip.

We used to ride some variation of that about once a month back in the early 90's.

I still use the southern parts of the route for extended test drives on hard to duplicate problems.

Houston Rd, Nebo, Buffalo, Pike - have no idea what kind of shape they are in anymore.

At Brownstown, you can cut across 250, run down to Madison on 7 for a bite to eat. That's a pretty ride.

37 South of Paoli, 145 into French Lick, 150 or 56 back out of FL. 450 back to 37.

54 into Bloomfield, 231/67 out.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    West side take 70 to the Monrovia exit south on 39. Take it nice and slow down to 67 a bit south of Mooresville. Ride 67 back to Indy.

A longer one that I really like is 67 south to vincennes - about 100 miles. Nice roads, plenty of places to stop for water and rest. I leave Indy around 10 and hit Vincennes at lunch time. Grab some lunch, then head back north.

Good luck on your bike. Get some time on the bike on roads that you know and be safe.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Some of the back roads north of Eagle Creek, like Moore rd. Tricky turns tho so take it easy. Only 30 minutes to go...exciting. Stop @ my place, I wanna see it!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OK, back from my first ride in 20 years.

bike.JPG

Few tentative moments in the parking lot trying to get the bike into 1st gear. After 5 min everything seem to click. Amazing the human mind and body remembering something I haven't done in 20 years. I stayed on the back roads mostly; I still have a lot to learn again.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Mad Maps have proved themselves to us time and time again. There list attractions, food, etc. But the best part is they have actual complete routes already set up. The distance, time and attractions along the way. The routes are color coded.

When we ride The Dragon (Deals Gap) and the surrounding states, we also do a mad map route. The northern GA route, including Devil's Triangle is a great ride.
    www.madmaps.com

Top Bottom