George H. Perkins, Master Gunsmith and friend R.I.P.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Northside Indy Suburbs
    I don't know how many of you here knew George Perkins, he was one of the greatest Gunsmiths in the country, most of us locals kind of kept him a secret because we valued his time and abilities and were reluctant to share him too much. He was a wonderful man and always laid out the red carpet of friendship to anyone who crossed the threshold of his shop. A warmer personality could not be found anywhere. He was nurturing to the firearms novice and professional and and even more, an icon, to the veteran shooter.

I will miss him, and his skills, but mostly his kind nature and friendship. He was a great man in every aspect of life.

Here is his Obit, some of you might want to attend one of the services to pay your respects to his family. Jim

IndyStar.com | Obituaries | The Indianapolis Star

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Aw... thanks for posting this, Jim. If you haven't already, you might want to post it at RFC...there's a lot of Hoosiers over there, too.

chefjerome

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for your heartfelt words about who we referred to as 'Papaw'. As you can imagine, the family is struggling to cope with this all too sudden loss. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers and your post says alot to the kind of man he was. He will certainly be greatly missed by us all.
    CJ

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Spent a few dollars and minutes with him in the early 90's, when his German Shepard was his best buddy.

He did some nice work for me and friends, I am sure he worked on many INGO member guns.

Last edited:

Errkola

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Indiana
    I second JBLee's comments 100%. He was a great gunsmith of extraordinary talent and a great guy too. I learned alot from George sitting in his shop listening to him talk about guns and gunsmithing. I was saddened to read of his passing, he will be missed.

Last edited:

chefjerome

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Spent a few dollars and minutes with him in the early 90's, when his German Shepard was his best buddy.

He did some nice work for me and friends, I am sure he worked on many INGO member guns.

Yes! 'Barney' was certainly his best friend...even recently he was telling me a story about him and got choked up:(

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I met George in the late 1990's and spent several days in his basement. He was a remarkable person. At that time he had more guns leaned up in a dusty corner then I had ever seen in one house. He was a very good person.

I clearly remember asking him a question about Colt Woodsmans, in which his reply was "I think I might have one in here." He went over to a safe and pulled out 5 brand new in the box 1950's (or maybe 1960's) Colt Woodsman Match pistols and showed me the receipt where he had bought them for some insane price like $5 each from a shop that went out of business.

Im sure those safes were full of cool stuff.

R.I.P. George.

Top Bottom