Genuine ACOG is out of the question... how about a knock off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    While practicing this weekend with my .22LR M4, the bottom row of the Appleseed target was not much more than a spec through the iron sights. I was thinking an ACOG style for ranges from 25 to maybe 100 yards would help the eyes.

Anyone ran across a lookalike that wasn't a complete POS? (doesn't have to be illuminated).

Thanks.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    While practicing this weekend with my .22LR M4, the bottom row of the Appleseed target was not much more than a spec through the iron sights. I was thinking an ACOG style for ranges from 25 to maybe 100 yards would help the eyes.

Anyone ran across a lookalike that wasn't a complete POS? (doesn't have to be illuminated).

Thanks.

Or a PST 1-4. 1/2 the price, 2x the versatility. It doesnt look anything like a acog, but looks are the last thing that should matter.

If you can give me a ballpark price range im sure I can help.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Why not get a dot with a flip magnifier?

I think I want a reticle.

Or a PST 1-4. 1/2 the price, 2x the versatility. It doesnt look anything like a acog, but looks are the last thing that should matter.
    If you can give me a ballpark price range im sure I can help.

I know you could. This gun is 'supposed' to be for my teenager (but I've put more rounds through it than he has so far :rolleyes:) so I can't justify a PST for it right now. If good glass wasn't so dang pricey....

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I just ordered an ACOG clone for $106 on eBay. Physically it looks identical to a TA31F and I'll have the real Trijicon ACOG TA31F for $1,250 (with LaRue mount and all the LaRue goodness) by the end of the month. Going to do a review and compare on the 2 and report when I've had a couple range trips with each.

Just put a 2 moa Vortex Sparc on it and call it a day. I took my Aimpoint PRO (also 2 moa) out just yesterday and was easily ringing 6" steel from 150-250 yards without magnification.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I just ordered an ACOG clone for $106 on eBay. Physically it looks identical to a TA31F and I'll have the real Trijicon ACOG TA31F for $1,250 (with LaRue mount and all the LaRue goodness) by the end of the month. Going to do a review and compare on the 2 and report when I've had a couple range trips with each.

Just put a 2 moa Vortex Sparc on it and call it a day. I took my Aimpoint PRO (also 2 moa) out just yesterday and was easily ringing 6" steel from 150-250 yards without magnification

Or just sell me the clone when you're done with the review.. :D

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If it's not a complete piece of crap, I'll send you a PM. It'll be going on my AR so holding zero and not flickering will be the deciding factors. We'll see though.

As much as I would like a high quality piece of glass on every one of my firearms, my boys are in the early stages of marksmanship and haven't demonstrated a long term commitment to the sport, so, I'm reluctant to throw big money at them just yet.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    As much as I would like a high quality piece of glass on every one of my firearms, my boys are in the early stages of marksmanship and haven't demonstrated a long term commitment to the sport, so, I'm reluctant to throw big money at them just yet.

Throwing crap on the gun that won't work, won't hold zero, and makes the shooting LESS fun sure won't help them develop a commitment... it'll just become "this sucks, I wanna go play my xbox."

There are some decent suggestions above that while slightly more expensive than some chinese knockoff crap, they will work, and they will hold some re-sell value if you want to change/upgrade later as opposed to some crap optic that will most likely be too busted to re-sell later.

-rvb

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

What about the Crossfire scopes?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Throwing crap on the gun that won't work, won't hold zero, and makes the shooting LESS fun sure won't help them develop a commitment... it'll just become "this sucks, I wanna go play my xbox."

There are some decent suggestions above that while slightly more expensive than some chinese knockoff crap, they will work, and they will hold some re-sell value if you want to change/upgrade later as opposed to some crap optic that will most likely be too busted to re-sell later.

-rvb

I get your point. Maybe Christmas. I want a PST 6-24 FFP and this project is eating away at that project's funding..

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ...target was not much more than a spec through the iron sights. I was thinking an ACOG style for ranges from 25 to maybe 100 yards would help the eyes.

I think I want a reticle.

probably headed toward a SPARC or Strikefire.

You started off saying you needed magnification and wanted a reticle. Now a dot is ok?

Figure out what you want to accomplish or what is causing you trouble, then find the gear that fits your need. Don't just buy gear that happens to squeeze into your budget.

BTW, the 1-4x scopes that have been suggested can not only be used at 4x like a traditional scope, but can be used at 1x similar to a dot (just not as forgiving in head position). It's what 3-gunners use for a reason, you basically get dual use...

-rvb

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You started off saying you needed magnification and wanted a reticle. Now a dot is ok?

Figure out what you want to accomplish or what is causing you trouble, then find the gear that fits your need. Don't just buy gear that happens to squeeze into your budget.

BTW, the 1-4x scopes that have been suggested can not only be used at 4x like a traditional scope, but can be used at 1x similar to a dot (just not as forgiving in head position). It's what 3-gunners use for a reason, you basically get dual use...

-rvb

Boy. Can't keep you happy. I'm trying to step through a problem to arrive at a reasonable solution. Did I mention I have kids? If I bought based only what fits my exact need, I'd never buy anything.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The only ACOG TA01 NSN clone that I've seen that is worth a hoot is the 1337 Tactical 4X32. They are out of stock, I don't know if they'll ever have them again, each time I look they are OOS. You might be able to find a used one on a forum if you look around.

welcome to 1337tactical.com

I've had my share of real ACOGs and still have a few, I also have the above mentioned clone. Have had it for years, never failed.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Boy. Can't keep you happy. I'm trying to step through a problem to arrive at a reasonable solution.

this is why I don't usually respond to these thread.... folks come on here "help me, I need X." Then a day later, "I bought Y." Just seems like a waste of my time.

Did I mention I have kids? If I bought based only what fits my exact need, I'd never buy anything.

Not sure what kids have to do with it. If you're happy not being able to see the target, then do what floats your boat. If you no longer need to "help the eyes," then what's wrong with the irons for the kids' gun? If you just want a cheap red-dot, you can get those for $30, even less than a 4x knock-off acog.

Good luck.

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom