• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    Most esteemed gentlemen and scholars of the .458 SOCOM, I'd like to start a dedicated caliber thread as a repository for recipes and general knowledge. This includes general questions for and from the bi-caliber curious. I'll only judge you a little if your shoulder can only take half a magazine.
    In all seriousness, I'll be dropping my own recipes here as I develop them and try out new powder and bullet combo's. I'll try to remember to provide chrono data as we progress to loads that excel for me. Any and all recipes taken from here should be used at your own risk and following the general safety guidelines. Things will be slow at first, but with a little luck I'll pick up as the hunting season approaches. Pictures of your rifles/loads/targets are all welcome.
    Please feel free to share any experience in the caliber such as components or uppers in the good, bad, or (now politically correct) beauty impaired.

For all testing and data from me I'll be using:
    Tromix 16" upper and their tank brake
    Virgin or once fired starline brass unless otherwise specified
    CCI 300 LPP
    The good old grey Prochrono (it definitely hasn't been hit)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    For anything .458 load related, this is always my first stop.

458 SOCOM Load Data

That said, I'm lazy. When I first bought my .458 I didn't have reloading equipment. I bought ammo from a guy who came to all the local gun shows. He was nice enough to give me his recipe when I got set up to reload.

The loads have always functioned perfectly in my middy upper and standard P-mags, are accurate as I am, and have never failed to drop deers where they stand.

I don't remember the exact charge, but they use a max load of AA1680, and Hornady 300 grain HPs.

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    Seems everyone here likes the 325gr FTX. I picked up a box and I'm working on the H4198 loads first. If the weather permits I'll be lobbing a few downrange tomorrow.
    I decided to go with the magnums since I seem to only have stocked those. I thought I had around 4k of the CCI300, but it turns out they're 350's. This should be a fairly medium loading by all the books and I'll be bumping it up until I hit a decent accuracy point.
    325gr FTX
    35gr H4198
    CCI 350

Top Bottom