22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Gay Groups Protest Palin Pick

Quote:
    Gay Groups Protest Palin Pick
    By Carlos Santoscoy
    September 07, 2008

Gay groups are asking questions – and finding answers – about Republican presidential nominee John McCain's VP choice, Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin. Most are unhappy with their findings.

The number two choice is carefully analyzed by the campaign to ensure maximum benefit to their ticket. In the case of Palin, McCain operatives are betting on her conservative record and Christian background to increase the ticket's appeal to Christian conservative voters.

And that plan appears to be working, conservative Republicans in general appear to be euphoric with the choice.

“I think Sarah Palin is the smartest thing that John McCain has done. She has revitalized the grass roots of the Republican Party across the board, all segments,” conservative Eagle Forum President Phyllis Schlafly told the Chicago Sun-Times.

Gay groups, however, are troubled by Palin, calling her anti-gay record “frightening.”

Human Rights Campaign (HRC), the nation's largest gay rights group, posted a blog entry on their website critical of Palin's gay positions. HRC pointed to answers Palin provided to the Alaska Eagle Forum's 2006 gubernatorial questionnaire, where she said that she did not support hate crimes laws, spousal benefits for gay couples, and that one of her top family priorities would be “preserving the definition of 'marriage' as defined in our constitution.” In 1998 the voters of Alaska passed a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in the state.

“Most Americans support treating our LGBT loved ones and neighbors with respect, and support their full inclusion into our nation experience,” said Steve Ralls, communications director for pro-gay group Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), of Palin's equality record. “From Anchorage to Albany, and everywhere in between, there are real families who fell the real impact of policies that leave the LGBT community behind.”

Palin has also been linked to several anti-gay groups.

She and anti-gay Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (R-MN) were recently honored at a Republican National Convention event, which was sponsored in part by long-time gay-rights opponent, and Eagle Forum president, Phyllis Schlafly.

Concern has also been expressed over Palin's involvement with – or knowledge of – her church's promotion of an ex-gay conference scheduled in Anchorage next week.

An insert in the bulletin of the Wassilla Bible Church, where Palin has prayed for about six years, says, “You'll be encouraged by the power of God's love and His desire to transform the lives of those impacted by homosexuality,” according to a The Associated Press report.

The conference, called Love Won Out, is being organized by James Dobson's conservative Christian organization Focus on the Family. The group says they help people overcome unwanted same-sex attractions through religious means, including group discussions, counseling, Bible reading and prayer.

“We are deeply concerned that Sarah Palin may share the extreme and medically unsound view that gay and lesbian people can and should be cured,” said Wayne Besen, executive director of Truth Wins Outs, a gay group that advocates against ex-gay ministries. “We call on Palin to express her views on this issue so we have a clear idea on where she stands. We hope this is an area where she disagrees with her church.”

HRC President Joe Solmonese had harsher words for the governor: “Sarah Palin is against recognizing our relationships, against domestic partner benefits, and against hate crimes laws. ... The more we find out about her record, the more frightening her record becomes.”
    Source: http://www.ontopmag.com/article.aspx...=1&Category=25

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I had a post in mind and erased it as I don't know if we have any gay members and probably should avoid hurting their feelings (.... I'm not going to say it.... I'm not.... oh heck I can't help it.... you know how sensitive they are).

Gotta say, the more I hear about her the more I like her.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Live and let live. I don't care if they want to get married, it doesn't improve or diminish my marriage in the slightest either way. That said, as I posted elsewhere, "don't get behind me." :bat:

I do seem to recall reading that while she does not support gay marriage, she did make efforts to give state benefits to gay employees. Hardly someone they need to worry about.

Blessings,
    B

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Live and let live. I don't care if they want to get married, it doesn't improve or diminish my marriage in the slightest either way. That said, as I posted elsewhere, "don't get behind me." :bat:

Blessings,
    B

+1 on that. How is it a politician's job to pass their sense of morality on to other people? Sin this, eternal damnation that...If you really think they'll burn, then let them, but don't force your ideals upon others. But this is only one of the social issues I don't quite agree with the GOP base on...

:twocents:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Nate, keep in mind that it isn't the Republican pols that are wanting to change the laws to satisfy their sense of religion or morality. They simply don't believe we should change our laws to satisfy a few other people that violates the religious and moral values of most of their constituents. To me there is a big difference.

Emodude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I dont see what the big deal is, why cant people just mind there own business and let others do whatever they want, you take the people that go on about all the issues and want to know pry into other peoples business and disagree with they way they live their life but when you try to ask them questions about them self's they get all upset.. When did the world become a bunch of candy asses that feel that everyone should live the way they live and they think that they have the right to tell people what to do.. Just upsets me that people dont mind their own business anymore

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    While I don't agree with the lifestyle,
    I don't care if they get married either.
    I just want to know which churches are doing the
    ceremonies so I can stay clear of that denomination.
    :dunno:

I have a feeling this issue is clearing the way for more
    discrimination and "hate-type" lawsuits aimed at churches
    and/or pastors.
    I don't see any other reason for it.

Most states are beginning to recognize the non-marriage "union" and
    grant the same benefits as a conventional marriage.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I dont see what the big deal is, why cant people just mind there own business and let others do whatever they want, you take the people that go on about all the issues and want to know pry into other peoples business and disagree with they way they live their life but when you try to ask them questions about them self's they get all upset.. When did the world become a bunch of candy asses that feel that everyone should live the way they live and they think that they have the right to tell people what to do.. Just upsets me that people dont mind their own business anymore

and there in lies the problem :rolleyes: The vocal LGBT activist want to flaunt it in your face. I really do not care who or what you are sleeping with but do not stick it in my face, force elementary age children to learn about the lifestyle, etc. The divorce courts are full now; adding same sex marriages to the law only adds money to the pockets of the lawyers and further clogs the overburdened civil court docket. Where do we draw the line? American Culture and Values have been under a constant attack by the Progressive Liberals until it's hard to recognize anything American. Holiday Season instead of Christmas, etc. The line must be drawn somewhere.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Some great comments on this post.

I don't have any desire to tell other people how to live. As long as it doesn't hurt me or my family, who cares.

I think it's a dangerous and slippery slope when government begins legislating morality.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    While I don't agree with the lifestyle,
    I don't care if they get married either.
    I just want to know which churches are doing the
    ceremonies so I can stay clear of that denomination.
    :dunno:

I have a feeling this issue is clearing the way for more
    discrimination and "hate-type" lawsuits aimed at churches
    and/or pastors.
    I don't see any other reason for it.

Most states are beginning to recognize the non-marriage "union" and
    grant the same benefits as a conventional marriage.

You don't even need a church to get married. Tons of people march into courthouses all over the country and get married every day. Churches can do whatever they want, as far as I am concerned. Marry gays, don't marry gays, whatever.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    You don't even need a church to get married. Tons of people march into courthouses all over the country and get married every day. Churches can do whatever they want, as far as I am concerned. Marry gays, don't marry gays, whatever.

Yes, I know people can marry in a courthouse,
    there are some churches on the west coast that have
    performed these ceremonies and some
    on the east coast are contemplating it.

My point is two-fold:

1) I want to know which churches are marrying same-sex couples,
    so that I can stay clear of that denomination.

2) I predict a backlash when the fundamental churches refuse to marry a same-sex couple when/if it becomes legal everywhere?
    Will it be a hate crime?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My view is as follows:
    The Lord, my God placed me on this Earth for a purpose. Part of that, I believe, is to be a light for others. It is NOT my responsibility to judge people, because God will do that when the day of Judgement comes. My responsibility is to LOVE and respect those around me, and to be a good example and witness.

I could care less about same-sex marriages. Everyone should be loved by someone, and someone should be able to love everyone. However, They are responsible for the choices they make and will, in my belief, be held accountable for what they do on this Earth and will be judged accordingly.

In other words, I believe people should live their lives how they wish... but be prepared to answer for what you do.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    2) I predict a backlash when the fundamental churches refuse to marry a same-sex couple when/if it becomes legal everywhere?
    Will it be a hate crime?

From what I have read it is handled that way in Canada. If a minister preaches against homosexuality it is a hate crime. Funny the free speechers aren't concerned about that.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    My view is as follows:
    The Lord, my God placed me on this Earth for a purpose. Part of that, I believe, is to be a light for others. It is NOT my responsibility to judge people, because God will do that when the day of Judgement comes. My responsibility is to LOVE and respect those around me, and to be a good example and witness.

I could care less about same-sex marriages. Everyone should be loved by someone, and someone should be able to love everyone. However, They are responsible for the choices they make and will, in my belief, be held accountable for what they do on this Earth and will be judged accordingly.

In other words, I believe people should live their lives how they wish... but be prepared to answer for what you do.

Congratulations on being one of the very few "Christians" that seem to understand and practice that!!!!! Reps to you!!! ...... :rockwoot:
    :cheers:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    From what I have read it is handled that way in Canada. If a minister preaches against homosexuality it is a hate crime. Funny the free speechers aren't concerned about that.

That's what I thought too.
    So there's a perfect example of a government setting speech
    boundaries......the slippery slope.

My guess is this will probably be applied to the 501c regulations at some
    point in the future.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Nate, keep in mind that it isn't the Republican pols that are wanting to change the laws to satisfy their sense of religion or morality. They simply don't believe we should change our laws to satisfy a few other people that violates the religious and moral values of most of their constituents. To me there is a big difference.

That's the whole point, though, haldir, they DO want to change the laws. "Protection of Marriage Act" this and "Constitutional Amendment" that. If they didn't believe we should change our laws to satisfy some (what are perceived as the "base") of the constituency, none of this would be happening. If these laws had been in place requiring only one man and one woman for decades or centuries and only now was there talk of changing laws already in place, I would agree with you, but the only thing that's been in place is custom and tradition, and those are most clearly not the same thing as laws.

Sarge, you made the point about "forcing elementary age schoolchildren to learn about it". If they weren't going to learn about it anyway, I'd agree completely. If the basic fact that "two people love each other and want to marry." is all that's presented, I see no harm. When it's presented that one partnering is somehow superior in any way except the ability to procreate, however, then we're getting into morality. Let the churches teach morality or hey, here's a novel idea, how about the parents fulfilling that role? The basic fact, though, is that elementary age children are going to learn about same-sex couples, if not from personal experience (i.e. the neighbors, Adam and Steve or Karen and Diane) then from the news media (TV, newspaper) or hearing parents and friends talk. It's how some people live. It's not good. It's not bad. It just is. Personally, I'd still like to know where in the US Constitution is granted the authority for a "Department of Education" in the first place.

ETA: I forgot to touch on the point about "hate crimes". :bs: If a man is beaten because he is Black or a woman because she is a lesbian, is the beating (the fact of the crime) any worse solely because of who or what group the victim belongs to? If Mrs. Palin stands against "hate crime" legislation, more power to her. Punish crimes because of the enormity of the crime, not because of the group to which the victim belongs.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I need to clear the air regarding my original post. I am Not condoning or condemning Homosexuality. Who you sleep with, top, bottom, missionary position or doggie style, I could care less until it effects me or mine personally. If your name is Jim and you have a hankering for Joe instead of Betty Lou, go for it. I just do not want to hear the glorious details or see the photos. I'm a firm believer in but for the Grace of God go I. I posted this to demonstrate that the Democrats have mobilized every fringe and hate group imaginable to combat Sarah Palin. Obama claims to be a leader to bring diverse people together but his campaign continually finds ways to invoke the race issue, gay issue or issue du jour to be divisive. This is the web site of the group promoting this agenda HRC | Home. If this is your cup of tea, I do not have a problem with it but I do find it a little strange with my upbringing and social & moral values.

nm_pregnant2_080609_mn.jpg

and not something that I would personally want for my family. Every family is different and gun owners are a part of that extended family. GBLT's should have the right to the 2nd Amendment and use it to protect themselves and their loved ones just as every other American citizen.:twocents:

Top Bottom