• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    PVC ball valve for residential water supply won't close all the way preventing water shut off.

I did some research and tried repeating open and close with water running in the bathroom. It did not fix the problem. Any ideas?????

It has a ball valve and it is my understanding that there should not be any mineral deposits hindering, which is the main culprit most of cases. the valve function.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Gate valve for residential water supply won't close all the way preventing water shut off.

I did some research and tried repeating open and close with water running in the bathroom. It did not fix the problem. Any ideas?????

It has a ball valve and it is my understanding that there should not be any mineral deposits hindering, which is the main culprit most of cases. the valve function.

Thanks in advance.

Mmm, you call the valve 2 different names, which is it?

Each type of valve, Gate, or Ball, function in a different manner, and a gate valve very well may have a chip of iron or lime in it, preventing it from closing. A gate valve could also have a chunk missing from the gate preventing it from sealing.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    Mmm, you call the valve 2 different names, which is it?

Each type of valve, Gate, or Ball, function in a different manner, and a gate valve very well may have a chip of iron or lime in it, preventing it from closing. A gate valve could also have a chunk missing from the gate preventing it from sealing.

Obviously I do not know what I am talking about. LOL
    I just googled for images. Thanks for pointing it out.
    It is a PVC ball valve. Looks like this.

9101-PVC ball valve - AC or OEM (China Manufacturer) - Other Industrial Supplies - Industrial Supplies Products - DIYTrade China

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Obviously I do not know what I am talking about. LOL
    I just googled for images. Thanks for pointing it out.
    It is a PVC valve. Looks like this.

9101-PVC ball valve - AC or OEM (China Manufacturer) - Other Industrial Supplies - Industrial Supplies Products - DIYTrade China

The plastic ball and/or seat probably has a chip or ding in it which is allowing water to pass by. It also could have been damaged by PVC pipe cleaner when it was origionally installed. Either way, IMO you will need to replace it. It is also possible that the handle is turning but not the ball.

ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    The plastic ball and/or seat probably has a chip or ding in it which is allowing water to pass by. It also could have been damaged by PVC pipe cleaner when it was origionally installed. Either way, IMO you will need to replace it. It is also possible that the handle is turning but not the ball.

How extensive is the job? Any idea what the cost will be?

BTW, the handle only turns halfway at the most.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    The key is how much room you have on each side of the valve, along with what is on each side. If there is enough room and another valve upstream from this one, probably $20 in parts and a half hour to fix. I really couldn't say for sure with out at least a pic of what and how much pipe is on each side of the valve.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Shut off the water at the main out by the street. Cut out the old one and replace. You may need to extend the pipe with a coupler.

Don't use this type
    cpvc-full-flow-ballvalve.jpg

I've found they are very prone to failure/freezing up/not closing

Use something similar to these:
    CPVC_Ball_Valve.jpg

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I would suggest getting yourself a real-valve, bodied in brass.
    A brass ball valve will include a stainless steel ball with Teflon seals.
    Less subject to scoring or failure.
    You can get one threaded but would need the 2-male iron pipe x glue
    adapters allowing you to glue it in place.
    I would not use a pvc valve if my intent was to ever desire to shut off the water again.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would not use a pvc valve if my intent was to ever desire to shut off the water again.

QFT

If it's a whole house shut off, do yourself a favor and replace it with a brass bodied stainless ball valve.

I use the plastic ball valves on my sprinkler system because of the pressure being betweem 35-50psi and have 1 that is a pain to shut off.

For my house with the pressure running between 80-90psi depending on the day, I have a brass body and stainless steel ball valve. Works great and it's a ton better than a gate valve. Quarter turn and it's off, no cranking it down and taking a chance that the seal on top will go bad after no use for a while.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    QFT

If it's a whole house shut off, do yourself a favor and replace it with a brass bodied stainless ball valve.

I use the plastic ball valves on my sprinkler system because of the pressure being betweem 35-50psi and have 1 that is a pain to shut off.

For my house with the pressure running between 80-90psi depending on the day, I have a brass body and stainless steel ball valve. Works great and it's a ton better than a gate valve. Quarter turn and it's off, no cranking it down and taking a chance that the seal on top will go bad after no use for a while.

I agree brass is better, but I have used the type I recommended for at least 10 years and never had a failure. Used them on some pretty awful, iron and/or Sulpher water too. They have Teflon seals as well.

sbude

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010

What about a sharkbite valve ? Would save having to mess with adapters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If he has a PVC valve is the whole system PVC or CPVC. There is a difference in size and solvents required. If everything is plumbed in plastic a brass valve will be a pain in the A$$ to fit up.
    1st figure out what the piping is made of. Find and appropriate valve of the same material (do not cheap out. Get a good one) acquire the proper fittings and solvents and have at it.
    If this is beyond your skill sets (no knock on you) there are folks listed in the section for hire that can most likely do this pretty fast if all you need is a valve. If it is in a tight space with little or no piping to cut and attach to, well, it will get tough from there.

Top Bottom