• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    bought a pack of 3 from centerfire for 20$ verry nice and well worth 2 or 3 times that. Never know.... I think of people getting cancer and having lung problems after helping people at ground zero. (9-11) A gass mask could have saved there lungs while they helped save other peoples lives. just a thought.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you are going to use gas masks then be aware of what that companies filters are good against and for how long. You will need to establish some type of test prosedure for good air also to know when to demask.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've seen the add from Centerfire, and for the price, thought about getting some. I wear glasses though, so I'm wanting a mask that I can work that out with. I know that the nato (or US) masks allow for optholic(sp) inserts for the eye pieces. Are there any that allow for some sort of glasses inside the mask?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Dr I am unaware of any masks that I would use that do not require the use of optholic inserts. If I were to purchase masks I would probably find out who makes the current military version and attempt to purchase them and filters.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Do any of you guys own gas masks? I just ordered enough for my family. Never in a million years would I have ever thought I'd order these

What kind of airborne contaminant threat are you envisioning? Unless you have the rest of the NBC suit to go with the mask and carry the entire getup with you all the time, I just don't see the point.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I've seen the add from Centerfire, and for the price, thought about getting some. I wear glasses though, so I'm wanting a mask that I can work that out with. I know that the nato (or US) masks allow for optholic(sp) inserts for the eye pieces. Are there any that allow for some sort of glasses inside the mask?

Have you considered just using a half-face respirator?

Other than riot-control agents I don't know of any application for a full-face
    mask that doesn't also require full-body protection equipment

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    What kind of airborne contaminant threat are you envisioning? Unless you have the rest of the NBC suit to go with the mask and carry the entire getup with you all the time, I just don't see the point.

What he said. Also, what kind of decontamination equipment are you planning to use?

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Um, yeah. I went through this with my mom after 9/11. She went out and purchased everyone in the family gas-masks from some military supply store. You know, the kind that will protect from Anthrax, gases, chemicals, and the like. Although well intentioned, I felt I had to point out to her that if disaster strikes, by the time I find the masks, get all the filters out of the packages (can't unpackage the filter until time to use as it's only good for so long once opened) figure out how to assemble the suckers while in a state of rising anxiety (putting it mildly), and get the masks on two panicking kids, the skin will have melted off of my entire body and my eyes would have popped out and be rolling around at my half melted feet. Lotta good that does me. Not to mention the fact that I'm not about to carry around a bunch of giant gas masks with me everywhere I go. Face it... the lost souls from 9/11 had no idea what was really happening when they died. Masks are merely an after thought to those of us left behind.

Think it through. That's all I'm sayin. The chances of you having enough advanced notice of a deadly airborne chemical are slim to none. If something is so potent that you need a mask... a mask ain't all you need my friends. I personally believe that money can be more wisely spent.

God bless

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    The only thing I could see me using is an OSHA style respirator and only for something such as protecting from a virus like the bird flu.

When it come to chemical weapons or the like, you need tons of NBC gear and a mask alone will more than likely not help you. Even if you had the gear, you better have some for the people you are with, because if an event like that happened, you would have to be deconned before taking any of it off.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Seems as if the whole NBC deal is a little more involved then I thought. Of course I have seen pictures of soldiers in full regalia, and have seen the suites available at surplus...What are gas mask issued to civilian populations for? Mustard gas or tear gas or other nerve agents? Is there no use for gas masks outside of the whole get up? Seemed like the whole suit wasn't that expensive, but it seems like a little more research is needed. Apparently the whole PE system that might be needed is prohibative for civilians on small budgets...is it even necessary?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Minus the entire suit as seen on a soldier, uh tear gas, mustard gas worthless against most modern chemical agents.

The entire suit must still be in its original packaging and SEALED to be good. The suits have a time limit for the effective use once opened. Same as the filter on the mask. Both should be changed out for a new suit no more than every 24 hours.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Chemicak weapons are no more magic bullets than anything else. Most are non-persistant as they were designed to allow advancing troops to entire targeted areas after a gas attack without too much danger to themselves. A good mask and staying indoors and taking some sensible precautions like the ones the Israelis teach their civilians can save your life. The full suits are necessary if you're a soldier, outside, working to counter an attack. The attitude that, "I'm too helpless and ignorant to do anything so I'll remain ignorant" absolutely enrages me.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Seems as if the whole NBC deal is a little more involved then I thought. Of course I have seen pictures of soldiers in full regalia, and have seen the suites available at surplus...What are gas mask issued to civilian populations for? Mustard gas or tear gas or other nerve agents? Is there no use for gas masks outside of the whole get up? Seemed like the whole suit wasn't that expensive, but it seems like a little more research is needed. Apparently the whole PE system that might be needed is prohibative for civilians on small budgets...is it even necessary?

Unless you're an anarchist clashing regularly with riot police you don't need a full-face mask.

For what Joe Average will face,
    (flus and MAYBE fallout) higher quality NIOSH particulate masks will do.
    Respirators have their place, I've used full and half-face respirators for work and to clean up stinking roadkill.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Gas masks are only good for the inhalant type of chemicals. Most chemical weapons are fluid in nature. Steer clear of anything like that and you'll be good. I actually did learn something while working at Newport.

Top Bottom