• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I know that neither the Park nor the City may have or enforce a policy regarding firearms. I don't know who is putting on the show, though. If the City leased their facilities to a private entity, they can set whatever policy they want.

Edit:
    That phone number on the Contact page appears to be City Hall.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow. Perused the website (registered via Go Daddy) and does not appear to be organized by a private group, although there are sponsors.

Welcome from Mayor Freeman-Wilson herself.

Looks like a public park (renovated with redevelopment funds, apparently).

Can't find Gary contracts online, so hard to tell if a private group "rented" the park.

Ambiguous, but it does seem like it could run afoul of pre-emption.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Boom shakalaka

From the vendor packet:
    The City of Gary is thrilled to announce an opportunity for food, merchandise, education and non-profit vendors to sell and display at the 2015 Gary Air Show at Marquette Park.

Application is hereby made to the City of Gary, Mayor’s Office of Special Events for consideration for vendor participation at the 2015 Gary Air Show....
    This application, when executed by the City of Gary, Mayor’s Office of Special Events will constitute a contract.

Yep, seems like an open invitation to anyone that wants to make themselves a party to several years worth of litigation.

ETA:
    It gets better.

Checks payable to?
    CITY OF GARY, DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIONS

Who owns the rights to the name?
    “Gary Air Show” is the sole property of the City of Gary. Use of the Gary Air Show name, logo or images is strictly prohibited.

Vendor agrees to indemnify?

City of Gary.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Is this rule like the "no firearms" restrictions on the signs along the Highland bike trail? Courts found that its legal to put the sign up, so long as there is no enforcement. Could it be that they're saying "no firearms allowed" but not planning to enforce the rule?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Is this rule like the "no firearms" restrictions on the signs along the Highland bike trail? Courts found that its legal to put the sign up, so long as there is no enforcement. Could it be that they're saying "no firearms allowed" but not planning to enforce the rule?

T Lex found it in the online vendor packet. I suppose it's possible, but it doesn't sound to me like old signs that are just too much trouble to take down.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I wish I had a good 'nuff "gift of gab" and the legalese knowledge to form a protest and wish I had the means to get the message out to the public where the Media couldn't ignore the story.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0

People are beginning to confuse the arguements made in the case with the ruling in the case. Guy argued that having the ordinance still on the books was the same as putting up a speed limit sign. The court said no it wasn't, because putting up a sign was pro active, wheras just leaving an outdated ordinance on the books is sloppy, but not an active action. (paraphrased of course). I have the papers running around here somewhere, and I'm sure it's online.
    I'm all for an OC event at the airshow, but I ain't paying $30 to park.

Top Bottom