• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    OK I need some Garand ammo options in the commercial market...I see CMP has it , but I'd have to send them a bunch of paperwork saying I am US citizen(I am), then I would have to wait...ugh..so I would like some help for finding a source for ammo I am looking to buy some Lee dies I have saved most of my brass so far. I read where I could shoot commercial ammo as long as you shoot 150g bullet or less...but I really do not want to risk it not knowing.... Thanks :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I think you can also get an adjustable gas plug that allows you to shoot commercial ammo. I have never tried one but remember hearing something about it. The Greek and Korean M1 ammo pops up from time to time. Also you can find it at guns shows but it is getting harder to find.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If your planning on commercial ammo I'd recomend an adjustable gas plug. I'm going buy memory, It needs to be a certain burn rate of about 2700fps or op rod damage will accoure.
    For the price you can't go wrong with ammo from CMP, you only have to submit most of the paperwork once. If you read the check off sheet you can write " previously submitted" on some of it.
    As for the korean ammo (I have 2 50 cal cans of it) the KA head stamp stuff is corrosive so make sure you clean it EVERY time you shoot it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Commercial Remington 150 grain FMC is one of several perfectly acceptable commercial ammo choices for the M1 Garand. Hornady makes great ammo up to 168 grain for it too.

There are plenty of commercial choices available. They all use bullets in the 150 to 155 grain range.

I have an adjustable gas plug. It is no longer in the rifle. It is quietly rusting away in a drawer. I am not a fan of them any longer. JMHO.

General Lee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Anderson
    American Eagle makes Garand safe ammo, can't remember the exact number ( 3006m1 ) is the last part number. 24.00 a box. You can find the Greek ammo at the 1500 for 15.00 a box

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've been using the Schuster adjustable gas plug on my 7.62x51 NATO converted Garand for several years now. May well switch to the product cited above just for the convenience of not having to readjust it so often. Thanks to tman for the link!

Top Bottom